The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AHC25
Do you not think that the fact that women only need to be pretty and loyal is an issue in itself though? Women need to be strong willed, interesting and have jobs just as much as men do but some close minded people think that this is not a requirement. Those things are requirements of people in general, they are not limited to one gender.

Furthermore there is no equivalent of the word slut for a man. Slut isn't a positive word so why are you treating it as if it was? The apparent ease with which women can acquire the title screams of a system whereby women are shamed for natural instincts like sex which men can satisfy easily without being labled.

It's funny, I had to go back and edit this comment before posting because of the number of mitigating phrases I had put in. But I thought to myself "no, why should I have to apologise for feeling a certain way?" I am a strong willed and interesting woman who is a feminist.
I agree with you in the sense that men don't have a completely easy ride but god you have it easier than us. Anyway, suffering shouldn't be a competition, it's all subjective. Can't we just all acknowledge that men and women are equal and just treat each other as such?

I am a feminist but I don't hate men (I do hate feeling like I have to clarify that whenever I say I am a feminist though, however the societal stigma dictates that I should)
Socially speaking, you feminists say you want to be 'equal' to men, but you're wrong. Men and women are different, but equal in their inequality. That's how its always been since the dawn of time. Humans can't exist without women, and can't survive without men.

If I get a girl pregnant, she is seen in the eyes of the law as the carer of the kid by default. If I want her to get an abortion and she says no, I'm f*cked. Is that equal? No, because sex and the act of procreation is unequal by nature.

Economically speaking, the wage gap is a myth. If you have a man and woman who are equally educated and the woman is 'cheaper' because she's a woman, why the hell would anyone hire a man? Makes no sense.
Reply 41
Original post by lionheart27
Socially speaking, you feminists say you want to be 'equal' to men, but you're wrong. Men and women are different, but equal in their inequality. That's how its always been since the dawn of time. Humans can't exist without women, and can't survive without men.

If I get a girl pregnant, she is seen in the eyes of the law as the carer of the kid by default. If I want her to get an abortion and she says no, I'm f*cked. Is that equal? No, because sex and the act of procreation is unequal by nature.

Economically speaking, the wage gap is a myth. If you have a man and woman who are equally educated and the woman is 'cheaper' because she's a woman, why the hell would anyone hire a man? Makes no sense.

"You feminists" that's a nice way to address someone! I agree that men and women are different and men may be physically stronger in some cases but I think intellect is much more valuable and this is another thing that is often disregarded with women. The ability to think and have opinions is more important (personally) than someone being able to lift a big tyre. Historically we may not have been able to survive without men but now that we don't need to hunt for food and protect ourselves from invading tribes I don't see this as a credible argument.

I also agree with the fact that it is unfair that women are automatically seen as the carer of the child as guys don't get a look in. This can work in the opposite direction if the guy decides to walk out and leave her to look after it just because they have no legal responsibility to stay. It works both ways. I don't agree with your view on abortion though. Although the father may want her to keep the baby, expecting a woman to go through 9 months of discomfort and a very painful birth, perhaps when she doesn't want to keep the baby anyway, is completely unfair. It is the woman's body that will house the baby and should ultimately be her decision no matter how crap it might be for the guy. Funnily enough I had a discussion with my friend (who happens to be a guy) about a similar topic where his friend got his girlfriend pregnant. He was a Christian/Catholic so didn't agree with abortion really but his girlfriend wanted to abort it and he sided with her because at the end of the day it is her body! To me that is very commendable.

As for the pay gap, I don't have any stats to hand but what I will say is that the pay gap may well be a 'myth' but the glass ceiling is not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lionheart27

:sleep:
Original post by AHC25
Furthermore there is no equivalent of the word slut for a man.

They conceived of ":innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:boy" quite recently actually. Dunno if anybody calls men over the age of 29 that tho. Work in progress I guess
And that means that every other facet of life should also be unequal? Women have the same mental capabilities as men, and there is no reason why they should be treated any differently in the workplace. A woman is not "The automatic carer". There is often a main carer in a family, but that's not dictated by gender, it's dictated by circumstance. Of course if a guy leaves, he's not physically attached to the unborn child in the same way as the mother, but that's a horrible situation.

At the end of the day, it's a woman's body. The kid is INSIDE her, and if she wants it, she wants it. But there are ways around. For instance discussing and agreeing on what you want to do before you have sex. Humans developed advanced mental capabilities for a reason.
And a man will always have the freedom (during pregnancy at least) to leave, which the woman will not.

The concept of the wage gap is *shock, horror* women don't get paid less for the same job. They just can't get the same job, because of the glass ceiling.
Original post by Spamelie
And that means that every other facet of life should also be unequal? Women have the same mental capabilities as men, and there is no reason why they should be treated any differently in the workplace. A woman is not "The automatic carer". There is often a main carer in a family, but that's not dictated by gender, it's dictated by circumstance. Of course if a guy leaves, he's not physically attached to the unborn child in the same way as the mother, but that's a horrible situation.

At the end of the day, it's a woman's body. The kid is INSIDE her, and if she wants it, she wants it. But there are ways around. For instance discussing and agreeing on what you want to do before you have sex. Humans developed advanced mental capabilities for a reason.
And a man will always have the freedom (during pregnancy at least) to leave, which the woman will not.

The concept of the wage gap is *shock, horror* women don't get paid less for the same job. They just can't get the same job, because of the glass ceiling.

Why do women scream for equality but just like in this paragraph you only want the Advantages and never the negative's that come with it.It does not work like that, it shouldn't matter if the Baby is inside her, as the Man is equally responsible so he should have a 50% stake in the descion making process until you come up with a Joint Agreement not one that suits the Women.This is Biology and Nature, the fact only Women can house babies has it's advantages and disadvantages and you need to take both sides of the coin.
Original post by Spamelie

What Glass Ceiling ? Their is nothing stopping a Women from getting the top jobs, the Most powerful person in this Country is a Women in Theresa May, if that is not motivation or inspring enough, i dont know what is.All of this femnism debate is to benefit the Middle Class White Women-How about Ethnic Minority's who are underrepresented in Parliment for example.Working Class Women who are of disadvantaged backgrounds, Look what "femnists" done to those poor F1 ringirls who are now out of a job, all femnisim does is benefit the white middle class women.
I think feminism is good.
To me feminism is about supporting equal rights,
Women and men should be free from bullying, domestic abuse, discrimination, sex crimes, slander, and poverty,
Feminism is about equality, human rights, the right to vote, the right for women to be in power, the right for women to choose their partner, the right for women to refuse sex, the right for women to be protected, the right for women to have equal pay and equal rights.
Original post by cadaanshaydaan
There's nothing to debate in all honestly, all of the (non) issues the guys on this thread are complaining about aren't at all enforced by women but instead by other men. Nice try though.

You are utterly clueless if you think men don't go through those REAL issues that people like you refuse to talk about or hold any sense of condemnation towards

Latest

Trending

Trending