The Student Room Group

Do i HAVE to reference in my exam? What if i don't, will i lose marks?

Ive been told by friends that you have to reference in my exams (BA Geography)

I find it hard enough to learn all the information for my exams, as there is a lot to remember and I really have no idea how anyone can remember what facts were written by which person, how is it possible to know that this fact was by this author etc?! So just wondering if i didnt reference in my exam would i lose marks/is it that bad that i dont reference? Do most other students actually reference because i cant manage to see how they are able to do it lol any help would be appreciated thank you
Reply 1
Original post by yellowmoose

I find it hard enough to learn all the information for my exams, as there is a lot to remember and I really have no idea how anyone can remember what facts were written by which person, how is it possible to know that this fact was by this author etc?! So just wondering if i didnt reference in my exam would i lose marks/is it that bad that i dont reference? Do most other students actually reference because i cant manage to see how they are able to do it lol any help would be appreciated thank you

Is it an open book exam?

I've not heard of such a practice in an exam, not in my course anyway. It's probably best either checking past papers if they are available and looking at the mark schemes or speaking to your tutor about it. Exam rules may be specific to a uni.

I don't think by 'referencing' your friend meant writing out full, APA-style references in your exam answers! I think your friend meant that you should be able to cite (='reference') the key thinkers in your field - those who have made significant discoveries or contributed to the corpus of knowledge is some fundamental way.
Ask your professor(s)
Reply 4

It certainly isn't expected at my uni for that type of subject. If I'm marking and someone manages a correct reference I'll give them credit, but I wont penalise anyone who doesn't. As has been said above, being able to name key theorists in the context of what they have proposed, is useful. But you shouldn't need to reference Harvard style as you would in a coursework essay.

Ask your staff and don't rely on hearsay from students who have no more experience than you.

Ask your university department - policies on this will vary between universities, and between different departments. It's doubtful that you'll be expected to fully reference as you would in an exam, but do check as none of us can provide a certain answer.
Ask your lecturers what they're after. I 'referenced' during exams - but only a name and date if I could remember... I think that's a pretty normal expectation (at least the name).
On my degree citing in exams (PQ, 2017) was one of the key differentiators between a 2:2 mark and an 2:1 - a 2:1 was showing a high level of familiarity and understanding of the topics involved (compared to "some" understanding for a 2:2) and adding in the key names/dates of relevant papers was one of the ways to demonstrate this.

It wasn't expected in first year but became something that would affect your marks in later years.
Check with someone official at your uni to find out how referencing should be done in exams. If you can get surname & year for theories or event/place & year, that might get you extra marks. For laws, name of act & year should be put in eg Reform Act 1867.

I've never had to do full referencing Harvard/Chicago/APA in exams.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do BSc Geography and you don't have to reference, you have to CITE. Just learn the names and dates of key authors in the topics you revise with little facts to slot them in. Sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending