The Student Room Group

If Tim Farron was a Muslim....

He would not be branded a homophobe and wouldn't be getting all the hate would he? as that would be racist right?

I despise all religion but Islam and Muslims are treated differently and to different standards by the left to other religions - esp Christianity.

If a Christian says something against gay people it's homophobic but if a Muslim says the same thing based on his/her religion it isn't, otherwise the left will call you racist!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's just double standards that exist all throughout society.
The "islamaphobe" insult has lost its sting now anyhow.
Reply 3
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The "islamaphobe" insult has lost its sting now anyhow.

Maybe so but don't you see the double standards and the fact Islam is put on a pedestal?
Original post by MeYou2Night
Maybe so but don't you see the double standards and the fact Islam is put on a pedestal?

I do, it's because Islam is younger and relatively new to the West. In time it will be treated just like Christianity.
Reply 5
I do, it's because Islam is younger and relatively new to the West. In time it will be treated just like Christianity.

Then we are all screwed then.
No, their views would still be abhorrent and branded homophobia.

It is no secret that Islam is incredibly homophobic.
Reply 7
I'd be slightly more attracted....no homo:innocent::innocent:
At least Tim Farron sticks to his beliefs. It is far better than pandering to the gay crowd and their mindless liberal supporters by saying being gay is okay. No true Christian would do that.
He's entitled to his opinion even though they're not in line with Western views. He doesn't believe homosexuals should be killed or anything radical like that.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
He's entitled to his opinion even though they're not in line with Western views. He doesn't believe homosexuals should be killed or anything radical like that.

Right and where do you think those views that gays should be killed come from? Take Russia for an example,I hear they have some lovely concentration camps opening.Of course in Chenenya it's Islam but in the rest of Russia it's orthodox Christianity.Homophobia starts small from religious intolerance and gradually grows to something bigger.It doesn't just start with throwing people off roofs.It starts with the belief that someone is sinful or other or subhuman.
Original post by Robby2312
Right and where do you think those views that gays should be killed come from? Take Russia for an example,I hear they have some lovely concentration camps opening.Of course in Chenenya it's Islam but in the rest of Russia it's orthodox Christianity.Homophobia starts small from religious intolerance and gradually grows to something bigger.It doesn't just start with throwing people off roofs.It starts with the belief that someone is sinful or other or subhuman.

Christians shouldn't "cast the first stone". I know other religions and there are Christian communities do but it's unchristian to do so.
I don't care how a Muslim would be viewed if they made the same statement.

Farron refused to answer if homosexuality was a sin because (a) it's a stupid question, and (b) it's an attempt to misrepresent. Obviously from his perspective its a sin, he's christian. Equally obviously the people asking the question knew this and were attempting to frame Farron's response as 'bigotry' and 'homophobia' neither of which follow. He can dislike homosexual acts, as per his religion, without disliking or being prejudiced against homosexuals. It's not 'bigotry' to dislike something or believe it's sinful. I don't think taking heroin is very smart, I dislike that action (not saying they're equivocal, but using analogous logic) - that doesn't mean if someone says to me 'I take heroin' I'm instantly going to hate them and be bigoted against them.

He thinks homosexuality is sinful. That doesn't even mean he has to condemn the act itself, merely he believes it carries sin. It's entirely possible to believe that and still promote homosexual rights in the same way I think supporters of communism are deluded ideologues (a sin of logic if you will) but I would still argue for their right to free speech and to promote communism.

This whole fuss is just hypersensitivity that the whole world doesn't wish to validate identity as some people want them to.
Original post by MeYou2Night
He would not be branded a homophobe and wouldn't be getting all the hate would he? as that would be racist right?

The Muslim Labour mayor of london is more pro LGBT than most conservative MPs.

It's because Muslims do experience oppression and Islamophobia is a real thing so it confuses the left when you have a group that is both oppressed but also has oppressive culture ingrained into it itself with regard to women and gays etc.

This also includes people who are pro LGBT and then deny the existence of Islamophobia because Muslim culture includes sexism and homophobia... Regressive leftism works both ways.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The Muslim Labour mayor of london is more pro LGBT than most conservative MPs.

How much of that is just to keep popularity going?
Original post by Big_Jon

That would be impossible to say unless you knew the guy personally.
Original post by Big_Jon

Don't care. It has the same pro LGBT outcome.

Politics is full of political convenience. If you wanted 100% purity you may as well just go home and give up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Even more interesting would be if Tim Farron was leader of UKIP.. The condemnation and outright hysteria would be even more staggering
Reply 19
He'd still be an abject bellwhiff in my eyes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending