Turn on thread page Beta

{--PREDICTIONS--} GCSE AQA 2017 Science Exams watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I know we are the last year to do this specification and the examiners are probably going to mess all of the exams up. But if anyone has any predictions for what may come up for any of the AQA exams. put it below so everyone can see and we can all try and beat the examiners at their own game.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure what sort of questions will come up but i feel like if they continue the trend there will be 6 marker and a few larger mark questions such as 5 or 4 mark as they are putting more in each year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabalas)
    Im not sure what sort of questions will come up but i feel like if they continue the trend there will be 6 marker and a few larger mark questions such as 5 or 4 mark as they are putting more in each year
    Yeah I know what you mean like last year there was a 5 marker on geographical isolation which I'm really sad won't come up this year as I love that part of the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling the B1 paper will be quite tricky again this year. The examiners will try to squeeze every part of the specification out of us as we are the last year.....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PrimroseKitten on Youtube has made videos on predictions for all of the sciences, hope Physics isn't too hard, I struggle with Physics the most :0

ReputationRep:
    P1 and B1 are likely to be similar to the 2016 papers, last year. They'll just remove topics where the examiner said in the examiner reports that most students had achieved full marks in the question.

For P1 - Likely to expand on Red-shift, Doppler effect (linked to experiment), The Big bang theory, and generating electricity(linked to graphs and data), as well as all other topics.
    For B1 - Plant hormones and the menstrual cycle + IVF, the carbon cycle (probably a 5 marker), than a 6 mark question, and some unusual sections of B1, like indicator species, detritus feeders, and explaining Darwin or Lamarck's theory of natural selection (if not explaining natural selection from a given animal) More likely to have suggest an explanation questions for graphs, and drawing a graph for 2-4 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akpo)
    P1 and B1 are likely to be similar to the 2016 papers, last year. They'll just remove topics where the examiner said in the examiner reports that most students had achieved full marks in the question.

For P1 - Likely to expand on Red-shift, Doppler effect (linked to experiment), The Big bang theory, and generating electricity(linked to graphs and data), as well as all other topics.
    For B1 - Plant hormones and the menstrual cycle + IVF, the carbon cycle (probably a 5 marker), than a 6 mark question, and some unusual sections of B1, like indicator species, detritus feeders, and explaining Darwin or Lamarck's theory of natural selection (if not explaining natural selection from a given animal) More likely to have suggest an explanation questions for graphs, and drawing a graph for 2-4 marks.
    What about c1 and additional science or even triple?What do you think.I agree with what your predictions are I also think it will be on the menstrual cycle, carbon cycle,ivf and plant hormones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    What about c1 and additional science or even triple?What do you think.I agree with what your predictions are I also think it will be on the menstrual cycle, carbon cycle,ivf and plant hormones.
    I don't do triple unfortunately

For c1 - the paper will probably consist of atomic structure, limestone (set in a context), 6 marker could be fractional distillation or on how the world's atmosphere has changed. It's likely the paper will refer to new methods of extracting metals, like phytomining, and possibly bioleaching (but very uncommon). It will probably focus on emulsions rather than hardening. The miller-urey experiment maybe a 2-4 mark question. It may also focus on tests for elements, i.e. hydrogen, carbon dioxide and alkane and alkenes.

For c2 - it's very likely they will ask about paper chromatography and/or gas chromatography. They will probably focus on different covalent and ionic compounds set in context. The 6 marker is likely to be a chemistry practical, crystallisation, rate of reaction, (this might come up as a lower mark question). Look at some past papers, as c2 likes to recycle and reword questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akpo)

For c1 - the paper will probably consist of atomic structure, limestone (set in a context), 6 marker could be fractional distillation or on how the world's atmosphere has changed. It's likely the paper will refer to new methods of extracting metals, like phytomining, and possibly bioleaching (but very uncommon). It will probably focus on emulsions rather than hardening. The miller-urey experiment maybe a 2-4 mark question. It may also focus on tests for elements, i.e. hydrogen, carbon dioxide and alkane and alkenes.

For c2 - it's very likely they will ask about paper chromatography and/or gas chromatography. They will probably focus on different covalent and ionic compounds set in context. The 6 marker is likely to be a chemistry practical, crystallisation, rate of reaction, (this might come up as a lower mark question). Look at some past papers, as c2 likes to recycle and reword questions.
    I bet there will be a 6 marker on the earth and atmosphere or the miller urey experiment because last year there was no question about the earth and atmosphere and metals they werent really asked about so i would learn like why copper,aluminium,titanium are useful and copper and iron extraction.Last year there was a 5mark on hardening.Not sure about fractional distillation, they asked about it so many times.They asked last year about distillation but not fractional distillation specifically.But i do think limestone will come up last year they didnt really focus on it, so maybe a 5 marker or a 6 marker on advantages of quarrying or some experiment to do with it?But i would really nail the earth and the atmosphere and metals.

For c2, I really think they will focus on metals, salts and bases and will look at an experiment or something to with ti like making salts as last year they kind of neglected that section of specification and only asked 3, 1 mark questions on it.They did ask a 4mark on rates of reactions last year, so not sure fi they will ask a big marker on it again.They had a medium sized section on electrolysis, so not sure about the likelihood of a big marker for that.They didnt have the empirical formula,reacting masses calculation last year so the empirical formula might come up this year?

What do you make of my predictions?

What are your predictions for b2 and p2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akpo)

I would appreciate if you could go in more depth for your p1 predictions.

ReputationRep:
    Just pray they won't ask what an independent company is like my paper last year. Loool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geekygirl07)
    I have a feeling the B1 paper will be quite tricky again this year. The examiners will try to squeeze every part of the specification out of us as we are the last year.....
    Yeah i agree. I think they may ask a lot of 3-5 mark graph questions on the diet/exercise and vaccinations topic because that's where people don't do that well.

ReputationRep:
    I would appreciate if you could go in more depth for your p1 predictions.

Yeah I like the c2 predictions. The C1 is very likely to talk about the Earths atmosphere, but it's a section that I didn't actually cover in school, so a 6 marker on it, would concern me. A 6 marker on limestone is probably unrealistic, as it's the topic that didn't appear it's likely to be a question 3 that totals to like 13 marks.

Yeah ok, for p1, when i'm talking about red shift, the 6 marker could be like, Explain how red-shift provides evidence for the Big Bang theory. At least 20-30 percent of the paper will be maths, Formula sheet or questions based on costs and payback time. For generating electricity, they have already asked about wind turbines and hydroelectricity, so they might go back to the geothermal power stations and nuclear power stations. Convection appeared with conduction, so it might contrast and be conduction alone, or condensation. The exam might decide to include a Ray diagram, for around 2-4 marks. If not then they'll use a photograph to suggest and idea of refraction or diffraction. The only question they might repeat from 2016, is properties of electromagnetic waves (can be reflected+refracted). If your thinking about context for the exam, it could be Medical Physics (X-rays), or about mobile phones and radiation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akpo)
    Yeah I like the c2 predictions. The C1 is very likely to talk about the Earths atmosphere, but it's a section that I didn't actually cover in school, so a 6 marker on it, would concern me. A 6 marker on limestone is probably unrealistic, as it's the topic that didn't appear it's likely to be a question 3 that totals to like 13 marks.

Yeah ok, for p1, when i'm talking about red shift, the 6 marker could be like, Explain how red-shift provides evidence for the Big Bang theory. At least 20-30 percent of the paper will be maths, Formula sheet or questions based on costs and payback time. For generating electricity, they have already asked about wind turbines and hydroelectricity, so they might go back to the geothermal power stations and nuclear power stations. Convection appeared with conduction, so it might contrast and be conduction alone, or condensation. The exam might decide to include a Ray diagram, for around 2-4 marks. If not then they'll use a photograph to suggest and idea of refraction or diffraction. The only question they might repeat from 2016, is properties of electromagnetic waves (can be reflected+refracted). If your thinking about context for the exam, it could be Medical Physics (X-rays), or about mobile phones and radiation.
    I looked at b1 papers again and the 6 markers that have come up in all the papers so far is:animal cloning,plant hormones,diet,animals adapted to dry conditions,carbon cycle and how to grow cultures of bacteria.What possible topic could be the 6 marker this year do you think, it just seems like they covered all options, maybe it will be genetic engineering how its done and advantages and disadvantages.What do you think?

For c1 for the 6 makers they asked about ethanol,biofuels (biodiesel) and stuff do with pollution and comparing it with petrol,the earths atmosphere,last year it was hydrogen fuel and comparing it with another fuel and fractional distillation.So it seems the c1 exams the 6 markers aren't based on experiments but data or knowledge or both, i think this year it might be about the earth e.g. core , tectonic plates,crust,mantle and how continental drift works maybe?

I will look at p1, and tell you what i think my predictions are.I find they don't ever repeat 6 mark questions.Let me know whats your prediction for the 6 mark question for b1?

ReputationRep:
    The last 6 marker left, from a new topic, will have to be to explain Darwin's theory of natural selection.
    I also think it will be about advantages and disadvantages of Genetically modified crops.
    The six marker could be about the process of IVF and the hormones involved (but the process isn't necessarily long)
    They could link to the context in drugs in 2016/2017, and talk about the phases of drug testing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akpo)
    The last 6 marker left, from a new topic, will have to be to explain Darwin's theory of natural selection.
    I also think it will be about advantages and disadvantages of Genetically modified crops.
    The six marker could be about the process of IVF and the hormones involved (but the process isn't necessarily long)
    They could link to the context in drugs in 2016/2017, and talk about the phases of drug testing.
    I did think of the drug testing one as well like the stages and what are they testing for or maybe something but not sure how they could make it into a 6 mark, there is not too much to say I think.Drugs tested on cells and tissue then animals then healthy volunteers then small group of people that have the disease then double blind trial-doctors and volunteers dont know who gets the placebo(pretend drug with no active ingredient in it) to prevent bias.Drug testing tests, if drug works,if the drug is not toxic,what dosage is best and side effects.So not too much to say so not sure how they would make it into a 6 mark question.I did also think of genetic engineering and maybe the crops how its done and advantages and disadvantages.How would they make natural selection into a 6 marker, do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I did think of the drug testing one as well like the stages and what are they testing for or maybe something but not sure how they could make it into a 6 mark, there is not too much to say I think.Drugs tested on cells and tissue then animals then healthy volunteers then small group of people that have the disease then double blind trial-doctors and volunteers dont know who gets the placebo(pretend drug with no active ingredient in it) to prevent bias.Drug testing tests, if drug works,if the drug is not toxic,what dosage is best and side effects.So not too much to say so not sure how they would make it into a 6 mark question.I did also think of genetic engineering and maybe the crops how its done and advantages and disadvantages.How would they make natural selection into a 6 marker, do you think?
    Explain Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection.

most organisms produce more young than can survive. populations have organisms with individuals that differ from one another, and the struggle for existence means that these organisms have to compete with each other to survive. The organisms with the most advantageous alleles, survive. The organisms less well adapted, will eventually die. Those organisms that survive will reproduce the alleles to their offspring, and therefore pass their advantageous features to the next generation. Overtime more organisms will show their advantageous alleles, and species evolve over time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they haven't asked much about the carbon cycle, maybe that will come up this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieboo07)
    Yeah I know what you mean like last year there was a 5 marker on geographical isolation which I'm really sad won't come up this year as I love that part of the syllabus.
    How do you know it's not coming up?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions for B2 6 Markers?

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.