A2 Edexcel Music - John Cage?!?!? Help?!?!?!?!? Watch

drowsybun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any other lost souls having the displeasure of studying A2 music with the Edexcel exam board this year??

If there are, please... For the love of god, please, explain the John Cage micro-macrocosmic structure to me. I don't have a mathematical brain and none of this information is clicking. I get the whole 28 crotchets thing, but what does the 1 1/4, 3/4, 1 1/4, 3/4, 1 1/2, 1 1/2 bit of it do?

No words will be able to explain my gratitude to you if you help me out. Please, I'm begging you on my knees at this point... :cry:
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
hogree
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Literally just seen this, if you're interested, we've got a thread for all the A2 Music Material here so feel free to ask there too, but I've got a vague idea of how it all works.

So, it's to do with the organisation of the note values mirroring the organisation of the phrase lengths in the piece.

Have a look at this article someone in my music class wrote, there's a couple of slides that are really helpful https://blogasmusic.wordpress.com/20...evision-notes/
Alisonyung
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sonata 2
Bar 10-14
1/2 x 31 15.5 (15 crotches and a quaver) in bar 10-14

Sonata 3
Bar 9-32
3 1/4 x 34 = 110.5

And count there will be 110.5 (110 crotches and a quaver) in bar 9-32

Tbh, I don't think you need to understand that in that detail, just understand the idea and the concept, but anyway here we go
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (14)
66.67%
No (7)
33.33%

Watched Threads