The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
From another thread on the subject:

Usually in the course information page on UCAS Search there will be a code specifying the language choice in the "further details :" section (eg R990 at Birmingham has "It" for Italian). This gets put in the further details box in your choices section on the UCAS forum

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9986554
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Ok thank you, I thought it would be something like that!
Reply 3
heya! I'm applying to do French at Durham, joint with History! What college u applying to?
Reply 4
Hey!

Erm, I don't know, I've just put "no preference" because I've heard you have more chance of getting a place as it goes to ALL the colleges, and I'm not really sure which one I'd prefer anyway lol. You?
Reply 5
I'm applying to Grey's...was told that it only shows your preference and you may not get in to the one you choose, so your application gets forwarded to other colleges, as each college has a certain amount of places to give away for each course department...but it took me ages to decide!

I'm really dissapointed though that even though the degree course says Mod langs and History you can only take one language...would have loved to pick up spanish or russian!

where else are you applying?
*Han*
Hey!

Erm, I don't know, I've just put "no preference" because I've heard you have more chance of getting a place as it goes to ALL the colleges

That's not quite right :smile:

Your application *first* goes to the department of the subject you're applying to. If they like you, they will pass on your application to the college of your choice. If that college is full, they will pass you onto another college, and another, and another.. and so on and so forth.

However, if the department has accepted you in the first place, they *will* find a college for you.
Reply 7
mary21
I'm applying to Grey's...was told that it only shows your preference and you may not get in to the one you choose, so your application gets forwarded to other colleges, as each college has a certain amount of places to give away for each course department...but it took me ages to decide!

I'm really dissapointed though that even though the degree course says Mod langs and History you can only take one language...would have loved to pick up spanish or russian!

Oohhh, that sucks! But wouldn't French, History and Spanish be like UBER hard work?? Very good, but hardddd lol.

Lancaster, Exeter, Bristol and Sheffield. I liked Lancaster best tbf.. 3 Bs as well..wooo!
Reply 8
right, I had this problem too but managed solve it. Look up the Durham entry profile on ucas:

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/RsSf6GPQEcUa63GktSs-Hu-2TGQ01-4T_t/HAHTpage/search.HsDetails.run?n=830742

and it's got a list of the codes for each language so just specify on your form in the 'further information' section when you put in the details of the course.

Hope that helps!
Reply 9
Thanks so much :biggrin:
Reply 10
mary21

You know you could do Combined Honours in Arts and be able to do 2 languages and History?