Deciding on my choices - Neuroscience Watch

FlaffaD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey there, I'm an EU student from Spain and I will be studying neuroscience starting this september, but I still don't know where!

I have offers from Manchester, King's and UCL. Manchester is the cheapest one in terms of living costs. UCL is the best ranked but it gives me the idea of being the most difficult one and, taking into account that English is not my first language, I think I may be in disadvantage. King's seems great but I think I may regret choosing it instead of UCL since UCL is better in neuroscience.

Any help in making a decision would be appreciated!
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FlaffaD)
Hey there, I'm an EU student from Spain and I will be studying neuroscience starting this september, but I still don't know where!

I have offers from Manchester, King's and UCL. Manchester is the cheapest one in terms of living costs. UCL is the best ranked but it gives me the idea of being the most difficult one and, taking into account that English is not my first language, I think I may be in disadvantage. King's seems great but I think I may regret choosing it instead of UCL since UCL is better in neuroscience.

Have you looked at the course content? Not all courses (speaking in general) will offer the same modules or opportunities.

You'll be living there for the next 3 years+. Have you done some research (if you can't visit the places) on what the areas are like?
Mieleki
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

A tip - disregard the language side of your problem. You will get used to English so quickly that you will have troubles realizing it
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mieleki)
A tip - disregard the language side of your problem. You will get used to English so quickly that you will have troubles realizing it
Oh, the gentle irony...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mieleki
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Oh, the gentle irony...

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is wrong?
FlaffaD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Have you looked at the course content? Not all courses (speaking in general) will offer the same modules or opportunities.

You'll be living there for the next 3 years+. Have you done some research (if you can't visit the places) on what the areas are like?

Yes, I did. KCL's course content seems more interesting than UCL's, but I can't tell for sure since I'm unable to find detailed information about each module in those two universities. I'm not sure either about the final year project: at UCL is "Individually-supervised Experimental Project" and at King's I can choose between "Neuroscience - Laboratory research", "Neuroscience and neuropsychology" and "Neuroscience - Literature and practical topics". Now, since I'm also interested in psychology, the "Neuroscience and neuropsychology" project seems far more interesting than "Individually-supervised Experimental Project". Maybe I should just contact tutors from both unis to get more information about the course content.

I like Manchester as well but I prefer the London unis.

About the places, I can't visit them but I have watched some videos and I liked the London environment. It's really different from where I live now but I think I will get used to it.

Thank you for answering!
FlaffaD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mieleki)
Thank you! But that still scares me a little bit
Zesty_Lemon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, I did. KCL's course content seems more interesting than UCL's, but I can't tell for sure since I'm unable to find detailed information about each module in those two universities. I'm not sure either about the final year project: at UCL is "Individually-supervised Experimental Project" and at King's I can choose between "Neuroscience - Laboratory research", "Neuroscience and neuropsychology" and "Neuroscience - Literature and practical topics". Now, since I'm also interested in psychology, the "Neuroscience and neuropsychology" project seems far more interesting than "Individually-supervised Experimental Project". Maybe I should just contact tutors from both unis to get more information about the course content.

I like Manchester as well but I prefer the London unis.

About the places, I can't visit them but I have watched some videos and I liked the London environment. It's really different from where I live now but I think I will get used to it.

Thank you for answering!
I can only speak on behalf of UCL for this one, I don't know anything about Kings' module content. Furthermore, this is subject to change each year based on students' feedback.

In first year, all modules are compulsory. You take Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Chemistry for Biology Students, Introduction to Neuroscience and Foundations of Neurobiology in first term. Then Intro and Foundations of Neuro overlap into second term, in which you also take Cells and Development, Introduction to Genetics and Mammalian Physiology.

Breaking down the modules into overall topics:

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
  • The cell and molecular biology
  • Proteins and Enzymes
  • Metabolism

Chemistry for Biologists
  • Structure
  • Spectroscopy
  • Thermodynamics
  • Ions
  • Kinetics

Introduction to Neuroscience
  • History of neuroscience
  • Ion channels
  • Experimental design and stats
  • Pain perception and control
  • Neuro genetics
  • Disorders of mind and mood
  • Evolution of the nervous system
  • Chosen presentation

Foundations of Neurobiology
  • Anatomy and Development of the nervous system
  • Neurophysiology sensory and motor systems
  • Neuropharmacology

Cells and Development
  • Cell biology
  • Cell signalling
  • Developmental biology

Introduction to Genetics
  • Mendelism
  • Chromosome Theory
  • Mapping
  • Behavioural genetics
  • Quantitive genetics
  • Population genetics
  • Mutation

Mammalian Physiology
  • Cellular physiology
  • The cardiovascular system
  • The nervous system
  • The respiratory system
  • Endocrinology
  • GI tract
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (229)
59.95%
No (153)
40.05%

Watched Threads