Turn on thread page Beta

What did everyone get for the Edexcel P2 paper taken this June? watch

ReputationRep:
    My best mark 100/100 Was expecting this to be high but not full marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    I got 96.

I lost a mark on the binomial expansion question as I missed a minus sign. Fair enough.

Remember the iteration question that said:

f(x)=x^3+x^2-4x-1

a) Show f(x) = 0 can be rearranged as x=sqrt((4x+1)/(x+1)), x not equal to -1

Then it said:

The iteration formula x(n+1)=sqrt((4x(n)+1)/(x(n)+1)) is used to find an approximation of a. (x(n+1) means x subscript n+1)

Then you do some iteration stuff. Then you get:

d) Write down a value of x(1) for which the iteration formula x(n+1)=sqrt((4x(n)+1)/(x(n)+1)) does not produce a valid value for x(2). Justify your answer.

I answered x(n)=-1 as that results in a division by zero and is therefore not a valid answer.

Another valid answer that I didn't put down would be -1 < x(1) < -0.25 as then x(2) would be a complex number.

S1M or Bosslady. What did you answer? If you can remember that is. I'm interested to know whether or not I got this wrong.
    for d) i *think* i also put x can't be -1 too, because then you get 0 as the denominator which can't be so.

btw, you may have had a couple of others wrong, because the binomial expansion (where u forgot -ve bit) would probs have lost you only 1 mark, which i doubt translated into only 96 (considering the paper was apparently more difficult than usual).

ReputationRep:
    I got 81 - lowest mark by far (sat P1 and S1 as well) but still pleased.

ReputationRep:
    Got 54 my lowest mark by miles!! Am goin to resit in November if I can. Dnt know whether the grades were effedcted by those papers being taken?

ReputationRep:
    I can't think where I lost more marks. Probably poor graph sketching and stuff like that.

What raw mark (out of 75) do you think was enough for 100 UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I got 90 i think but it was a retake for me.... it's MUCH easier once yo've done p3!
    why? I feel there is little connection between p2 and p3.

ReputationRep:
    I found the P2 paper one of the hardest I've done... infinitely harder than p3 but I got 94 and 97 marks respectively which was a bit of a shock with all that dogey graph sketching and binomial expanding!

I think the range of marks that people got obviously show what an unusual exam it was so don't be disheartened if you didn't do as well as you'd hoped! Also as we study more maths the easier older stuff becomes so don't frettle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyC)
    I found the P2 paper one of the hardest I've done... infinitely harder than p3 but I got 94 and 97 marks respectively which was a bit of a shock with all that dogey graph sketching and binomial expanding!
    Yea, some questions are pretty tough. I can't believe i didn't trust my graphic calculator for the last question, i would've got it right.

ReputationRep:
    69! I expected a bloody D... Not one question was actually that good!

For P1 I got 98 though! WHOO!

And S1 I got 84, after expecting a middle B!!!

Bring on the only A in my college!

Lol

ReputationRep:
    93 for me (96 in P3 and 4 though )

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.