Weight loss, scared of loose skin

Watch
Governah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to lose weight for a while now as I've been pretty much overweight my whole teenage years and now it's become really bad.

I'm a 16 year old guy who's around 5ft 9" ( 175cm) and I'm around 110kg, I know it's bad. And I really want to change it now, but I just have a lack of information and I'm scared of doing so as I've heard that it causes loose skin.

Has anyone been able to relate or able to help in this situation on how to prevent/help decrease the amount of loose skin? Also if you have any tips on anything feel free to post them as well as any questions.

thankss
Posted from TSR Mobile
Ryū
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is just another excuse. Loose skin is better than being obese.
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
loose skin is better than fat. Considering you're not even that fat compared to some people, I don't think you should be that worried. If it's really concerning, you could always build muscle to replace the fat and then the loose skin won't be noticeable.
Governah
Rep:
?
I forgot to include that it honestly isn't an excuse,I genuinely want to change now just need that extra push of advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Governah
Rep:
?
Yeah I was considering that too but it's gonna be hard work, sort of excited for this journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brain_Dean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For Loose, workout is best like walk, exercise ,it make your body skin thin and to avoid fatty died like Sweets
Dameskorpion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aim to lose like max 1kg per week. It will take longer but it will give your skin time to adjust. You are young so your skin is shouldn't be loose (if you loose slowly but steady), however I would buy maybe some firming lotion and use it regularly as an extra.
Also do not experiment on yourself with diet and do not try any fad diet. Better talk with professionals to change your eating habits.
Plus do not forget about the training
whatashame3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Governah)
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to lose weight for a while now as I've been pretty much overweight my whole teenage years and now it's become really bad.

I'm a 16 year old guy who's around 5ft 9" ( 175cm) and I'm around 110kg, I know it's bad. And I really want to change it now, but I just have a lack of information and I'm scared of doing so as I've heard that it causes loose skin.

Has anyone been able to relate or able to help in this situation on how to prevent/help decrease the amount of loose skin? Also if you have any tips on anything feel free to post them as well as any questions.

thankss
Posted from TSR Mobile
Lose the weight gradually. You'll want to do cardio to lose the weight, but don't forget about toning too and building muscle.

Loose skin is less of a concern than being overweight. To avoid loose skin use firming lotions on your skin and when you get a shower alternate at the end of the shower between warm water and very cold water, finishing on the cold water. This tightens your skin and helps to make it firmer.

Drink plenty of water. You should aim to have at least 8 glasses anyway, but as you are starting off at a higher weight, it might be advisable to go slightly over this at around 9/10 glasses. This will also help you feel fuller.

Use apps such as FitnessPal to help foster your determination. This app is also helpful in losing gradual weight.

Anyway, good luck in your weight loss journey!
jw3901
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having gone from 128kg to 90, loose skin is a very mild annoyance at best - it is very likely that you will be the only one to ever think about it. Everyone else will care more about your transformation.

MyFitnessPal is a great app and really good for motivation. I just re-downloaded for a summer cut, it helps. Ultimately if you want to lose weight, then work out your base calories, subtract about 500 from that make sure you don't eat more than that. Having a calorie deficit is really all you need to do at the start, until you become much leaner and then you might have to do some cleverer stuff.

Advice about cardio / weights etc I never found particularly useful. The most effective exercise will be the one you actually do. For me that was weights - I have affected my transformation without any cardio.

Finally - start reading reputable sites like bodybuilding.com! You will be small in no time.
scarlett1975
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys,

thankss
Posted from TSR Mobile
I lost weight and now I'm at my goal and I have no loose skin - I was never overweight though.The longer you are overweight (in terms of years) the more likely it is you'll get loose skin. You are still young so it's not too late.
1. losing weight slowly is essential!!!!!! Don't do any fad diets!!!!
2. drink roughly 2 litres of water a day (this encourages you skin's elasticity )
3. exercise frequently. (VERY important!! Because it helped keep my body toned)
4. Also, eating healthily (foods Containing vitamin C and linoleic acid
strengthen your skin.
5. TALK TO A TRAINED DOCTOR FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys,

thankss
Posted from TSR Mobile
Just go and join MFP, although be wary its meant for 18+.

Lose slowly, but tbh theres not a lot you can do about loose skin. The good point is that over time your skin is likely to go back to normal since it will still have a egree of elastcity in due to your age.

MFP has all the information you need on weight loss, so a bit pointless repeating here.

Consistent deficit is what it is all about.
AQuestion1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Eat healthy, exercise, drink water and the loose skin shouldn't happen. Don't do fad diets.
Lukethomas12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lose weight slowly as the excess skin will have time to shrink. X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
6.32%
Uncertainty around my education (21)
11.05%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (21)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (28)
14.74%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (12)
6.32%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (16)
8.42%
Financial worries (10)
5.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
3.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.37%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
3.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (23)
12.11%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.37%

Watched Threads