PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
General Elections Amendment

Proposed by: Unown Uzer MP (UKIP)
Seconded by: Emily Porter MP (Lab), Conceited MP (Lib), britboy3456 MP (UKIP), RotatingPhasor MP (UKIP), ATW1 MP (UKIP)

This House shall adjust the Constitution as follows:

In the Constitution, amend 3.2 from:

3.2. will be held if a general election is held in real life, if the Prime Minister calls one, if any of the conditions in the Guidance Document under "Coalition Breakup" are met, or if 6 months have passed since the last election (this can be postponed for up to 30 days at the Speaker’s discretion).

to:

3.2. will be held if the Prime Minister calls one, if any of the conditions in the Guidance Document under "Coalition Breakup" are met, or if 6 months have passed since the last election (this can be postponed for up to 30 days at the Speaker’s discretion).

Notes

This amendment seeks to remove the unnecessary rule that the TSR MHoC should have a general election whenever there is one in real life. The TSR MHoC is separate to RL, and should not be affected by decisions made by the PM in RL. Having to hold a GE on TSR whenever there is a GE iRL would be a nuisance, and may result in terms being cut short or unnecessarily extended on the MHoC.
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please support this amendment!
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
UKIP and Labour not wanting to face the voters in June?
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, our election should be delayed until June
Gladstone1885
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, the logic provided in the bill summary is sufficient for me.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, I think it's important that we retain the tradition of having an election to coincide with real life. It makes the MHoC a little bit more meaningful for the wider TSR community.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay
username2718212
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why so scared of elections alongside RL ones?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
UKIP and Labour not wanting to face the voters in June?
I don't think the single Lab seconder is representative.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
Nay, our election should be delayed until June
I agree
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am rather ambivalent towards this. I think that the elections that coincide with RL do bring in a lot of activity (even if the coming election proves... not entirely helpful to my party) and a bit of inconvenience every couple of years isn't too much of a burden.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, surely turnout will be much higher if held coinciding with real life times, which I can't see to be a bad thing at all.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain. I'm not sure inviting further RL parallels is welcome. I'm still in favour of banning the use of major RL party names.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would rather have fixed timings personally but I'm not sure. The last GE which coincided with IRL made votes drop.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Having thought about this, I think I might actually vote against. I do understand the principle but I think coinciding the TSR election with a real life election will help to get more members outside the MHoC interested in the election.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay.

Although i tend to dislike RL amplification, RL general elections are by far the best way to draw new members to the Mhoc and we'd be stupid not to take advantage of that.
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Nay.

Although i tend to dislike RL amplification, RL general elections are by far the best way to draw new members to the Mhoc and we'd be stupid not to take advantage of that.
Hear, hear
username2585877
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
abstain
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (103)
34.11%
No I don't (138)
45.7%
I work during the holidays (61)
20.2%

Watched Threads