The Student Room Group

Grade 2 in GCSE English Lang Paper 1 - HELP!!

I recently took an English Lang Paper 1 mock (AQA) at school. When I recieved it yesterday, I got 26/80 which was a 2 (Target Grade = 6). Also in EVERY assessment (Lang and Lit), I keep getting 4s.
Please help!!!
Ask your teachers what you're doing wrong. look at the feedback they should have given you and really work on it. The new English exams are really difficult and the grades the teachers give you are just their estimation of what your mark would be- that's why I wouldn't stress about not achieving your target either. Is there a particular question you did badly on? When I received my first language mock back I was slightly disappointed but that was because I did not know how to answer the second question on paper 1 Language. The language papers, in particular, are incredibly difficult but ask your teachers for help- its what they are there for.

If you are getting worried just think, you are not the only one. Everyone around the country sitting these English exams are experiencing the exact same thing you are. Getting a grade 2 in ONE paper does not mean that you are working at a grade 2- set yourself your own reasonable targets, your target grade is more like the school's target and it is their responsibility to help you to it.

I would recommend going over language/ structural techniques and memorising some terminology to do with those. Don't just say "This is a sentence...," instead go for a more detailed analysis "The effect of this COMPLEX sentence on the reader is...". Identify what word class something belongs to e.g. adverb or noun. Start with the basics and then build up your understanding by attempting PEA paragraphs.

Hope I have helped!

Probably just me, but do you listen to his stormzy raps? I think they're the only reason I watch Mr bruff BC that guys a rapping legend 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Original post by JackB2000
I recently took an English Lang Paper 1 mock (AQA) at school. When I recieved it yesterday, I got 26/80 which was a 2 (Target Grade = 6). Also in EVERY assessment (Lang and Lit), I keep getting 4s.
Please help!!!

Okay this may seem dumb. But talk to your teachers they may have given you targets on how to improve. Look at the new spec and the mark schemes. Watch Mr bruff, buy the CGP workbook and/or revision guide, ask your teacher for extra hwk help or practice papers, or any help on techniques in general, or get a tutor. (I have a tutor and it's not as dumb as it sounds but again this is my opinion)
But it's probably to late for the last options but mainly do as much practice as you can. ANd look at their mark schemes and what they are expecting.
Original post by EJWellwood
Ask your teachers what you're doing wrong. look at the feedback they should have given you and really work on it. The new English exams are really difficult and the grades the teachers give you are just their estimation of what your mark would be- that's why I wouldn't stress about not achieving your target either. Is there a particular question you did badly on? When I received my first language mock back I was slightly disappointed but that was because I did not know how to answer the second question on paper 1 Language. The language papers, in particular, are incredibly difficult but ask your teachers for help- its what they are there for.

If you are getting worried just think, you are not the only one. Everyone around the country sitting these English exams are experiencing the exact same thing you are. Getting a grade 2 in ONE paper does not mean that you are working at a grade 2- set yourself your own reasonable targets, your target grade is more like the school's target and it is their responsibility to help you to it.

I would recommend going over language/ structural techniques and memorising some terminology to do with those. Don't just say "This is a sentence...," instead go for a more detailed analysis "The effect of this COMPLEX sentence on the reader is...". Identify what word class something belongs to e.g. adverb or noun. Start with the basics and then build up your understanding by attempting PEA paragraphs.

Hope I have helped!

I mentioned complex sentence in my qu 2 lol.
Reply 6
Original post by Libbythelobster
Probably just me, but do you listen to his stormzy raps? I think they're the only reason I watch Mr bruff BC that guys a rapping legend 😂😂😂😂😂😂

obvs
Original post by b7621b
obvs

Because who wouldn't?

Quick Reply

Latest