GCSE English Language 2017 Revision? Watch

EllieWellieSim
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm taking the Edexcel English Language 9-1 GCSE in just over a month, and I'm really struggling to find content to revise. There aren't any past papers available as we're the first year to do these new English exams, so I'd like to know if any one else is in the same boat, or has any advice on what to revise and how to revise it. I could just be being stupid but it seems like there's no specific content to revise as all the extracts in the English Language exam are unseen, and I don't know how to revise for the creative writing section of the papers.

Any ideas?
Good luck to anyone else taking their exams next month!
AliBajwa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in the exact same position as you except I'm doing AQA. I think the only way this year is to analyse different story extracts and read a lot more. Plus try doing the other past papers even though these are new, I will have some benefit
Sabha94
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Naturally, revising for English Language is more difficult as the texts are unseen... but you can still revise!

To revise for Paper 1: Section A, consider how writers use descriptive devices that interest you in...
- openings/endings of novels (e.g. Frankenstein)
- narrative or descriptive texts
- character development (consider how Shakespeare used language, structure, form and stage directions to intrigue you in Lady Macbeth)
- atmospheric descriptions (look back to the Hobbit - consider the portrayal of Gollum in the dark)

For Paper 2: Second B, google texts and consider how writers persuade you of their view in...
- articles
- high-quality journals
- autobiographies (Maya Angelou)
- travel writing
- letters (letters to MPs Vs. Christopher's letters to his mother in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time)

Read 19th, 20th and 21st Century texts

Analyse how writers use descriptive (paper 1) and persuasive writing (paper 2) for effect. Then, consider how you can learn from their techniques so you can write effective descriptions and arguments in Section B of Paper 1 and 2.

Hope this helps!
Sabha94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

Naturally, revising for English Language is more difficult as the texts are unseen... but you can still revise!

To revise for Paper 1: Section A, consider how writers use descriptive devices that interest you in...
- openings/endings of novels (e.g. Frankenstein)
- narrative or descriptive texts
- character development (consider how Shakespeare used language, structure, form and stage directions to intrigue you in Lady Macbeth)
- atmospheric descriptions (look back to the Hobbit - consider the portrayal of Gollum in the dark)

For Paper 2: Second B, google texts and consider how writers persuade you of their view in...
- articles
- high-quality journals
- autobiographies (Maya Angelou)
- travel writing
- letters (letters to MPs Vs. Christopher's letters to his mother in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time)

Read 19th, 20th and 21st Century texts

Analyse how writers use descriptive (paper 1) and persuasive writing (paper 2) for effect. Then, consider how you can learn from their techniques so you can write effective descriptions and arguments in Section B of Paper 1 and 2.

Hope this helps!
Lisa.Williams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, i also find it hard to revise English Language, however, i'm not sure if you've seen Mr Bruff's videos on Youtube (they're really helpful). I would definitely recommend them.
Good luck to you too for all of your upcoming exams!
(Original post by EllieWellieSim)
I'm taking the Edexcel English Language 9-1 GCSE in just over a month, and I'm really struggling to find content to revise. There aren't any past papers available as we're the first year to do these new English exams, so I'd like to know if any one else is in the same boat, or has any advice on what to revise and how to revise it. I could just be being stupid but it seems like there's no specific content to revise as all the extracts in the English Language exam are unseen, and I don't know how to revise for the creative writing section of the papers.

Any ideas?
Good luck to anyone else taking their exams next month!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.06%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.43%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
18.98%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (51)
15.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
12.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.12%

Watched Threads