UmerC
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've found four main themes which are:
Nature (Storm on the Island + Extract from the Prelude + Exposure)
Pride/Glory (Ozymandias + My Last DUchess + Charge of the Light Brigade + London)
Inner Conflict (Poppies + Kamikaze + War Photographer)
Past/Identity (Emigree + Checking out me History + Tissue)

I know I'm missing out 2 poems but I can't find a dedicated theme for them. Please help put them in a place. Also I'm trying to find two poems easy to compare with each other in each theme For Example two poems in Nature to compare with each other and two in Pride/Glory to compare with each other.
Please help me.
rebecca.jb
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi c:
I'm not sure if this helps or not but instead of just nature, our school has been studying it as the power of nature. This means that you can put Exposure, Storm on The Island, Ozymandias (nature destroyed what Ozymandias had built as 'nothing beside remains'), and The Prelude all in one c: I've found that Ozymandias compares to just about anything from here quite well because there are lot of differences in structure, language and tone, but the themes are quite similar. For past/identity I guess you could also add Remains, as the narrator is worrying about his past and what he has done - it also fits into Inner Conflict in this respect as he is having nightmares/abusing substances because of his guilty conscience.

I'm not sure what other poems you're missing but again, I hope this helps c:
Have a nice day!
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm so confused bc some of our poems are the same some aren't. I'm also doing Ozymandias and London but then I'm also doing poems such as Dulce Decorum Est, Valentine, Manhunt, Cozy Apolgia
stressedanddead
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
I'm so confused bc some of our poems are the same some aren't. I'm also doing Ozymandias and London but then I'm also doing poems such as Dulce Decorum Est, Valentine, Manhunt, Cozy Apolgia
1) Are you doing AQA because some of the board have the same poems?
2) Are you doing the power and conflict cluster?
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stressedanddead)
1) Are you doing AQA because some of the board have the same poems?
2) Are you doing the power and conflict cluster?
Oh right I'm doing WJEC
ellie154352
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bayonet Charge and Remains are both inner conflict theme too (in Bayonet Charge he's conflicted about what his role is in this war (Stanza 2) and in Remains it's all about the speaker's guilt and that conflict inside him. I'd say the poems in Pride/Glory would fit better under the effects of power except for London, which sort of fits into its own category about lack of morality in poverty. Not quite sure where Tissue should go as not sure where an "extended metaphor about life" (bbc bitesize) should go.
menna123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what is a good comparison for : Bayonet Charge, Exposure and Charge of Light Brigade?
ellie154352
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by menna123)
what is a good comparison for : Bayonet Charge, Exposure and Charge of Light Brigade?
Exposure to Storm on the Island or maybe Prelude as both about harshness of nature. Bayonet Charge to War Photographer because of dealing with theme of futility of war. Charge of the Light Brigade could be to My Last Duchess as both about the negative impact of power in the wrong hands can have.
Tillyross5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Conflict of war (a result of the conflict and during war) is a main theme present in many of the poems. These include Poppies- inner grief as a result of warRemains- PTSD of his experience in a war zone Bayonet Charge- unnamed soldier represents all soldiers during war Charge of the Light Brigade- Famous battle in history. They were unadvantaged in war Exposure- The experience the soldiers have of war during night to educate those at home on the weather and trench conditions War photographer- The experience of observing the result of war Kamikaze- suicide bombers during war Basically pick a poem from these that you can compare to all the other war ones
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (84)
14.19%
I'm not sure (26)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (186)
31.42%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.03%
I'm not a current university student (284)
47.97%

Watched Threads