The Student Room Group

School is a farce and so is life

I've just been thinking about how sad life is. From a young age we've been made to jump through hoop after hoop, hurdle after hurdle. Don't get me wrong, I understand that I'm privileged to have had access to an education, but anyone else dislike the school system and think it suppresses children? Exam after exam, work after work, when do we get to experience life and truly LIVE?When we're adults? Certainly not. I was just thinking about how from year 9, age 13, I was sitting exams that I was told would determine my future. Come sixth form, teachers are telling us dedicate 7 hours per subject(28 hours in total) outside of school, setting homework etc.. Well at least in the holidays we can relax right? No, Christmas holidays are to revise for mocks, easter holidays are for actual exams. University I've heard will be the best years of my life, and I look forward to that. Then after that, if i manage to get a decent job, will be working 9-5 for the rest of my life, doing the same :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: day in day out, worrying about tax, bills etc.... It sounds like a miserable existence.
Anyway sorry for the rant, Imma go back to Netflix and waste time instead of revising and will probs miss my uni offer :yy:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Imma go back to Netflix and waste time instead of revising and will probs miss my uni offer :yy:

Definitely sounds like you're really experiencing life and truly living
Original post by GUMI
Definitely sounds like you're really experiencing life and truly living

I'm watching How to get away with murder. It's lit
edgy
Sometimes I just want to stop going to school and just see where life takes me ... then I envision being a hobo,eating beans for the rest of my life
This is kind of why I wish I was born into a tribe. Their lives are far more meaningful and less superficial.
I feel like this a lot, but at the same time people who are willing to jump through hurdles actually do make better workers. Most of what we learned in school was complete shite, aside from mathematics most of it was a load of ideology driven BS. This said if you can't get dressed, turn up on time and regurgitate a load of nonsense some dumb whore who got a 2:2 from an ex-poly taught you, you're not reliable enough to get a job anyway.

School is a necessary cost of civilisation.
This is literally how I see the city of London.
Original post by l'etranger
I feel like this a lot, but at the same time people who are willing to jump through hurdles actually do make better workers. Most of what we learned in school was complete shite, aside from mathematics most of it was a load of ideology driven BS. This said if you can't get dressed, turn up on time and regurgitate a load of nonsense some dumb whore who got a 2:2 from an ex-poly taught you, you're not reliable enough to get a job anyway.

School is a necessary cost of civilisation.

Uncalled for?
Uncalled for?

Yes probably. Not every teacher is a bad person or lacks genuine insight and I'm not sexually judgmental, but in general I'd love to live in a country where there is a real teacher shortage and where there are genuine gated communities protected by armed guards, but also violent favelas, so yes I would love to see complete public sector collapse.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've just been thinking about how sad life is. From a young age we've been made to jump through hoop after hoop, hurdle after hurdle. Don't get me wrong, I understand that I'm privileged to have had access to an education, but anyone else dislike the school system and think it suppresses children? Exam after exam, work after work, when do we get to experience life and truly LIVE?When we're adults? Certainly not. I was just thinking about how from year 9, age 13, I was sitting exams that I was told would determine my future. Come sixth form, teachers are telling us dedicate 7 hours per subject(28 hours in total) outside of school, setting homework etc.. Well at least in the holidays we can relax right? No, Christmas holidays are to revise for mocks, easter holidays are for actual exams. University I've heard will be the best years of my life, and I look forward to that. Then after that, if i manage to get a decent job, will be working 9-5 for the rest of my life, doing the same :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: day in day out, worrying about tax, bills etc.... It sounds like a miserable existence.
Anyway sorry for the rant, Imma go back to Netflix and waste time instead of revising and will probs miss my uni offer :yy:

thats why you become rich and do what you want
I agree. What pains me is how young children are when they're introduced to exams and revision, kids in KS1 and KS2 should be enjoying education and learning, not already dealing with grades and what a number or letter on a piece of paper means
Reply 13
You'll kick yourself in about 10 years time when you're an uneducated nobody living on welfare and struggling to feed your kids whilst all your school mates are out there living it up and making it big. Fact is if you think school is a farce the problem lies with you, not school
Kids didn't always enjoy school even in the decades when they never took any exams until year 11. The past isn't all that rosy.

A friend who attended primary school in the 1980s is scarred by the amount of writing that kids were made to do and how the teachers obsessed over handwriting and got uptight when it wasn't up to THEIR A1 standards, which it never was. Rather ironically, he was recently tasked with addressing envelopes for wedding invitations because the person getting married thought he had good handwriting. He said that he would have preferred to attend primary school today because kids get to study interesting things like science and computers which his school didn't teach. The National Curriculum is questionable but at least it provides a national benchmark so teachers can't just go round :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ging off kids in school reports and at parent's evenings using their opinions and emotions like they could do back in the 1980s.
Life is all about attitude.

Decide what you want and then motivate yourself to go and get it.

The only thing stopping you is YOU.
well its life, theres not much we can change about it...
Someone's having an existential crisis...
No one cares anymore worse than ever there's more terrorist attacks and the royals seem to be slumming it a bit more. Maybe it's all linked together. Huh but what I don't get is the amount of time people waste being annoying. Or targeting one group or not saying what they want because it'll be like a bridge on the verge of collapse with the number of rules today generally goes beyond what will let people work best and be happier. I see lots of people quitting "top" jobs because they are too weak to go work in retail or laid ire because that's where are the fun enjoyment and money is. Also no one cares if you're married of have stuff, Ibjust think you might be autistic and. I don't care.
Reply 19

You don't have to work or worry about bills and ****. I don't. I quit my job after I had a mental breakdown, lol. Just find yourself a wealthy partner, willing to share their wealth. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest