The Student Room Group

How to take a gap year

This might sound somewhat stupid, but how do I go about taking a gap year.

So I have applied for uni's and got all my offers, but I have decided I now want to take a gap year do I just wait for my results defer my uni place until next year and then apply for accommodation and loans this time next year.

Also if I take a year out will the money I earn in that year impact the maintenance loans I can get as currently I get the highest one but not sure if they take into consideration any income I might earn in that gap year or is it just the parent/s? Thanks.
Original post by GMac_106
This might sound somewhat stupid, but how do I go about taking a gap year.

So I have applied for uni's and got all my offers, but I have decided I now want to take a gap year do I just wait for my results defer my uni place until next year and then apply for accommodation and loans this time next year.

Also if I take a year out will the money I earn in that year impact the maintenance loans I can get as currently I get the highest one but not sure if they take into consideration any income I might earn in that gap year or is it just the parent/s? Thanks.

You can ask to defer now if you wanted to and then yes apply for loans and accommodation next year. As long as you re considered a dependent student then your earnings won't count.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You can ask to defer now if you wanted to and then yes apply for loans and accommodation next year. As long as you re considered a dependent student then your earnings won't count.

Thanks this is a big help :smile:
Reply 3
Now go and book that plane ticket!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending