The Student Room Group

Medicine after a gap year

This year i had rejections from all the uni's i applied for medicine but got an unconditional to study neuroscience at glasgow uni, however I'm planning and turning down the offer and taking a gap year. This year in 6th year i am studying adv higher biology adv higher maths and higher music but i should have taken adv higher chemistry, however i am planning on studying adv higher chemistry during my gap year so that i have the qualification by the time would hopefully get in to medical school. Would anyone be able to let me know how much this will affect my chances of getting in and if you have any more advise on what extra i should do during my gap to year to give the best chance of being accepted next year?
Original post by Owen17med
This year i had rejections from all the uni's i applied for medicine but got an unconditional to study neuroscience at glasgow uni, however I'm planning and turning down the offer and taking a gap year. This year in 6th year i am studying adv higher biology adv higher maths and higher music but i should have taken adv higher chemistry, however i am planning on studying adv higher chemistry during my gap year so that i have the qualification by the time would hopefully get in to medical school. Would anyone be able to let me know how much this will affect my chances of getting in and if you have any more advise on what extra i should do during my gap to year to give the best chance of being accepted next year?

Hi there!

We're sorry to hear you didn't receive your offers.

What we'd recommend in this situation is contacting the medical schools you're interested in applying to and asking them what their policy is regarding this - each school will likely have different requirements so we'd recommend asking the ones you're interested in!

In terms of what you can do during your gap year, it's a good idea to boost your application with extra work experience or volunteering, boosting your UKCAT/BMAT score with more preparation or working on your interview technique.

You might find it useful to read the following blogs:

- 5 Things To Do On Your Gap Year
- How to Make the Most of a Gap Year
- What To Do If You Don't Receive Your Offers

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest