Do what's best for Britain - tactical vote against a disastrous Brexit Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Gina Miller, who launched the legal challenge that gave Parliament a say in Brexit, over the head of the most authoritarian Prime Minister since before the war, has started a crowdfunding campaign for "Do What's Best for Britain" - enabling tactical voting across Britain to elect MPs against Theresa May's bizarre plans to destroy the UK economy and diminish us to a fringe irrelevance on the global stage.
https://www.gofundme.com/whats-best-for-britain

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...st-hard-brexit

Tactical voting on a huge scale seems likely in this election. The main goals will be to elect anti-Brexit MPs wherever possible and to focus on getting a proper long term relationship with the EU based on access to the Single Market, not the disaster of total withdrawal currently being portrayed as the Only Way by a bunch of crooked Tory politicians.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Gina Miller, has started a crowfunding campaign .
birds of a feather eh ?

:toofunny:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
birds of a feather eh ?

:toofunny:
Lol. Fixed. :bigsmile:
astutehirstute
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Great idea.

Let's have tactical voting on an industrial scale, a hung parliament, half the country in support of Brexit, half against, a complete collapse in effective governance.

If this rich Remoaner cow really wants to destroy the UK economy and move us into the fringes on the world stage she has a great plan.

If you want to make the country totally ungovernable, endlessly arguing over Brexit, like some kind of national Groundhog Day everyone should follow the hedge fund b1tch.

Because if Brexit is stopped now, that will really be the end of it. Not.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by astutehirstute)
Great idea.

Let's have tactical voting on an industrial scale, a hung parliament, half the country in support of Brexit, half against, a complete collapse in effective governance.

If this rich Remoaner cow really wants to destroy the UK economy and move us into the fringes on the world stage she has a great plan.

If you want to make the country totally ungovernable, endlessly arguing over Brexit, like some kind of national Groundhog Day everyone should follow the hedge fund b1tch.
I'll put you down for a donation then?
astutehirstute
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Care to answer the substantive point?

Supposing her campaign works and we get a Parliament that will stop Brexit, what then?

Tim Farron as Prime Minister? Kenneth Clarke? Gina?
r3035
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What if tactical voting in the June General election doesn't work ?

What if you lose a second referendum ?

What if you lose a third referendum ?

What if you lose a fourth referendum ?
r3035
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Tactical voting on a huge scale seems likely in this election. The main goals will be to elect anti-Brexit MPs wherever possible and to focus on getting a proper long term relationship with the EU based on access to the Single Market, not the disaster of total withdrawal currently being portrayed as the Only Way by a bunch of crooked Tory politicians.
What you are really saying is we should stay in the EU, or keep having a referendum until you get the result you want.

You are completely pathetic.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?

Supposing her campaign works and we get a Parliament that will stop Brexit, what then?

The real aim of the campaign is to elect MPs who won't lie down and accept whatever the PM and mad hats like David Davies and Boris Johnson declare to be the right outcome, but will demand it be assessed properly and assented to by Parliament.

Theresa May is claiming that this election seals the deal and gives her government a blank cheque to sign any deal and that it cannot subsequently be scrutinised by Parliament.

Without the terribly weak opposition we now have, she would never dare come out with this crap. Gina Miller is just pointing out that we are supposed to be a democracy, not some weird semi-fascist branch of UKIP-Toryism.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by r3035)
What you are really saying is we should stay in the EU, or keep having a referendum until you get the result you want.

You are completely pathetic.
What we are saying is that something that is as disastrous to the future prospects of all of us as stone cold withdrawal with no proper deal from the Single Market should be something that at least we get to review via our elected representatives in Parliament.

What do you imagine Parliament is for exactly, if not this?

Why even bother with elections in your view? If Brexiteers are so closed minded and so wildly optimistic about total withdrawal from the Single Market without any deal, why not simply do away with parliament altogether and appoint Nigel Farage as Life Dictator?
Athematica
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
Is what I've read true, in that, although article 50 has been triggered and the EU exit is in motion, it is still technically possible to stop that being the case and this election could help that?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Athematica)
Is it true what I've read in that although article 50 has been triggered it is still technically possible to stop that being the case and this election will help that?
It's hard to say if Article 50 can be reversed, there are differing views on it.

Only the LibDems and Greens are proposing to reverse Brexit altogether (and the SNP presumably), so this election won't mainly be about rejecting the concept of Brexit, but about the terms of withdrawal.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I do not think anyone really expects the Brexit process to stop, but I do think there are fifty shades of Brexit, and some may sting far worse than others.

The fact is there were 48% of those voting not keen on the idea, there are parts of the UK where a hard Brexit may be really problematic ( e.g. Northern Ireland), an opposition (cross party lobby) who in some regards can modify those who want a hard Brexit is possibly, representing all of the UK, a reasonable approach and aim.

Most poltics involve some degree of fudge, nature of the beast, what some people would like to see is a degree of opposition.

Lets face it, the chances of the Conservatives not having a majority are pretty slim, we are likely not arguing over the result, merely the goal difference.
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its a simple choice between May or Corbyn.

I mean that is what it comes down to if may gets a majority we will have Tories and Brexit.

If we get a hung parliament the other parties will come together and vote tories out and Labor as the second biggest party after tories would be in charge with Corbyn at the helm.

Corbyn would be an absolute disaster with or without brexit his economic ideas would bankrupt the country but on top of that he would want uncapped immigration which means we would get even worse problems then Germany and France are having. So we would have a collapsed economy and many people unemployed on the streets, No funding for education or the NHS I am not talking about controversial cuts that people debate the tories on I am talking no funding at all because country bankrupt so no NHS and No education.

police would be over run and out of funds and the streets would be controlled by different migrant fraction gangs.

I am serious if Corbyn wins within a few years this country will literally be a third world country and their will be no going back from that fate no recovery.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luke7456)

I am serious if Corbyn wins within a few years this country will literally be a third world country and their will be no going back from that fate no recovery.
When we leave the Single Market without a deal, trust me, third world status for the UK will beckon. The Tories can sell all the weapons they like to Saudi Arabia, it's not going to meet the huge drop in trade and income we derive from the EU.
astutehirstute
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The real aim of the campaign is to elect MPs who won't lie down and accept whatever the PM and mad hats like David Davies and Boris Johnson declare to be the right outcome, but will demand it be assessed properly and assented to by Parliament.

Theresa May is claiming that this election seals the deal and gives her government a blank cheque to sign any deal and that it cannot subsequently be scrutinised by Parliament.

Without the terribly weak opposition we now have, she would never dare come out with this crap. Gina Miller is just pointing out that we are supposed to be a democracy, not some weird semi-fascist branch of UKIP-Toryism.
Do you think we are stupid? Actually, yes of course you do. :rolleyes:

You are promoting a campaign to stop Brexit. To reverse the democratic will of the British people.
Athematica
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
This dilemma leads me to have grandiose fantasy daydreams of being sat in a dimly lit room furnished with antique furniture, men and tumblers of spirits just as old, strategising against the opposition as a consultant to whatever party so to achieve a desirable result. I would very much enjoy that.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Luke7456)
Its a simple choice between May or Corbyn.

I mean that is what it comes down to if may gets a majority we will have Tories and Brexit.

If we get a hung parliament the other parties will come together and vote tories out and Labor as the second biggest party after tories would be in charge with Corbyn at the helm.

Corbyn would be an absolute disaster with or without brexit his economic ideas would bankrupt the country but on top of that he would want uncapped immigration which means we would get even worse problems then Germany and France are having. So we would have a collapsed economy and many people unemployed on the streets, No funding for education or the NHS I am not talking about controversial cuts that people debate the tories on I am talking no funding at all because country bankrupt so no NHS and No education.

police would be over run and out of funds and the streets would be controlled by different migrant fraction gangs.

1.I think the probability of a Labour overall majority is as near zero as makes no difference.

2.I think the probability of a coalition of the willing being in a position to push through an anti Brexit platform is twice as likely as 1.

3. I think the chances of such a coalition in 2 proceeding with such a plan in 2, if they did have a majority, is less than in 1, they know if they did they would be crucified at the polls for a generation or more.

Corbyn in coalition would not last long, which parties would be prepared to march hand in hand with him to political oblivion- they all may want power but they also want a future afterwards, any coalition would have Corbyn dropped pdq as its price tag.
astutehirstute
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When we leave the Single Market without a deal, trust me, third world status for the UK will beckon. The Tories can sell all the weapons they like to Saudi Arabia, it's not going to meet the huge drop in trade and income we derive from the EU.
We don't trust you.
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is so ridiculous. The audacious selfishness of these people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (230)
58.38%
No (138)
35.03%

Watched Threads