Turn on thread page Beta

With the need for climate action so urgent, why don't you vote Green? watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to be clear: I don't agree with many of the Greens' policies that are not to do with climate change, but mitigating global warming comes higher on my agenda than anything else.

The Tories have done eff-all to stop it, and labour promises no drastic action on it either.

I'm curious why doesn't it bother anyone else enough to change their vote?

ReputationRep:
    Because other things are bigger priorities, and I strongly disagree with just about every other green policy. I suspect this is the same for most people.

ReputationRep:
    Green party is too focused on the future of the climate and are weaksauce on many of the current issues. Plus they oppose nuclear power and weapons- UK will lose a lot of global power without its nuclear arsenal (esp in a world where nations like North Korea have some). UK needs to stay a powerful and relevant nations- Green party will not keep us like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    Because other things are bigger priorities, and I strongly disagree with just about every other green policy. I suspect this is the same for most people.
    What's a bigger priority than preventing the extinction of our species?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MADMANMALIK)
    Green party is too focused on the future of the climate and are weaksauce on many of the current issues. Plus they oppose nuclear power and weapons- UK will lose a lot of global power without its nuclear arsenal (esp in a world where nations like North Korea have some). UK needs to stay a powerful and relevant nations- Green party will not keep us like that.
    I agree with you about the fact that many of their other policies are weak, but the fact is that we have to start reducing our emissions today to have any hope of remotely meeting the targets from the Paris agreement, which we are likely to overshoot anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. Thats why I'm voting green.

ReputationRep:
    Before I start I do agree that we should look to lower our emissions and help our planet and future generations. That's a given.

But the problem is that I believe governments jump on green issues to raise taxes. London's clean air zone is a prime example, coming to a city near you soon. Motorists get ripped off but the new London buses can carry on regardless. That's all about raising revenue and bugger all to do with the environment.

Diesel cars are to be forced off the road soon... and a scrappage scheme may well be implemented. Perfectly good cars off the road to be replaced by brand spanking new ones. And anyone with any sense knows that the most non-environmentally friendly thing you can do is buy a new car. Even if it's battery powered.

Similarly with Kyoto etc. some countries such as China are not covered by the agreement. Result? Factories move their manufacturing there to get both cheap labour and not having to mess with emissions legislation. So what's the bloody point?!

ReputationRep:
    Because it's already ****ed. It'll take 2,000 years to undo what we've already done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboyben)
    I want to be clear: I don't agree with many of the Greens' policies that are not to do with climate change, but mitigating global warming comes higher on my agenda than anything else.

The Tories have done eff-all to stop it, and labour promises no drastic action on it either.

I'm curious why doesn't it bother anyone else enough to change their vote
    Because we're insignificant in the worlds pollution problems.

Also I don't believe in man made climate change.9

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MADMANMALIK)
    I agree with you about the fact that many of their other policies are weak, but the fact is that we have to start reducing our emissions today to have any hope of remotely meeting the targets from the Paris agreement, which we are likely to overshoot anyway.
    Read the Green Party policies. There are plenty on social justice, housing and transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darwinion)
    Before I start I do agree that we should look to lower our emissions and help our planet and future generations. That's a given.

But the problem is that I believe governments jump on green issues to raise taxes. London's clean air zone is a prime example, coming to a city near you soon. Motorists get ripped off but the new London buses can carry on regardless. That's all about raising revenue and bugger all to do with the environment.

Diesel cars are to be forced off the road soon... and a scrappage scheme may well be implemented. Perfectly good cars off the road to be replaced by brand spanking new ones. And anyone with any sense knows that the most non-environmentally friendly thing you can do is buy a new car. Even if it's battery powered.

Similarly with Kyoto etc. some countries such as China are not covered by the agreement. Result? Factories move their manufacturing there to get both cheap labour and not having to mess with emissions legislation. So what's the bloody point?!
    You're right - historically this is exactly what governments have done. Especially with the Tories' manifesto commitments, they have a limited amount of avenues that they can get revenue from, so they're happy to pile it on emissions.

However, I do believe that electing a party whose mandate is entirely based on reducing emissions will produce a more pragmatic approach.

With regards to China, I do agree, however the only way we're ever going to get them to agree to something is when almost all other countries have taken significant action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Because we're insignificant in the worlds pollution problems.

Also I don't believe in man made climate change.9

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So say, hypothetically, climate change causes mass emigration of 2 billion people by 2100, in addition to the deaths of many, no matter how small our proportion of emissions are we still have blood on our hands.

So just to be clear, you do believe in climate change but you don't believe it's man made?

ReputationRep:

I'm curious why doesn't it bother anyone else enough to change their vote?
    To answer the title of your thread, I don't vote Green because I don't find them a credible party of government.

ReputationRep:
    errr voting Green is ****ing stupid.

All the Green care about is the Green, the grass, the trees, and a place to ride their bikes. They gentrify, are hipsters, and have their beaks up their yoga-mat sitting backsides.

Vote for a REAL party and then demand it of them to care more about the bloody environment. The Green party are borderline scientologists as far as the narrow minded delusion goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    To answer the title of your thread, I don't vote Green because I don't find them a credible party of government.
    So you are defining a credible party of government as one which allows the world to hurtle towards a 2050 where there is a 2 degrees global average increase in temperature, an increase in Arctic temperature of 11 degrees, colossal sea level rises and unprecedented mass migration from Africa?

ReputationRep:
    So you are defining a credible party of government as one which allows the world to hurtle towards a 2050 where there is a 2 degrees global average increase in temperature, an increase in Arctic temperature of 11 degrees, colossal sea level rises and unprecedented mass migration from Africa?
    This breathlessly melodramatic scenario is just that - a scenario. Equally, we might face nuclear annihilation from North Korea. But that's not likely to happen either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    errr voting Green is ****ing stupid.

All the Green care about is the Green, the grass, the trees, and a place to ride their bikes. They gentrify, are hipsters, and have their beaks up their yoga-mat sitting backsides.

Vote for a REAL party and then demand it of them to care more about the bloody environment. The Green party are borderline scientologists as far as the narrow minded delusion goes.
    So assume I take your point of view, and vote for, say, the Tories.
    I then proceed to step two of your plan, demand it of them that they do something about the environment, only to find that actually they don't care at all and will continue as they have done, subsidising fossil fuels and doing ****-all to ensure that our children and grandchildren actually have a planet they can live on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    This breathlessly melodramatic scenario is just that - a scenario. Equally, we might face nuclear annihilation from North Korea. But that's not likely to happen either.
    There's not an awful lot we can do about North Korea, so we'll leave them out of this for the moment.

The scenario is not melodramatic at all - it's what is predicted with absolute consensus by all climate scientists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillyWonka1234)
    Because it's already ****ed. It'll take 2,000 years to undo what we've already done.
    So lets do that then? nvm making it worse is easier xd

ReputationRep:
    So assume I take your point of view, and vote for, say, the Tories.
    I then proceed to step two of your plan, demand it of them that they do something about the environment, only to find that actually they don't care at all and will continue as they have done, subsidising fossil fuels and doing ****-all to ensure that our children and grandchildren actually have a planet they can live on
    err what makes you think I'm voting Tory

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.