Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for what poem or theme (conflict/relationship/nature) will come up for wjec exam board. GCSEs in less than a month and theres SO much to learn! Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Would like London, ozymandias or Dulce et decorum. I hate all the poems related to relationships. They are so hard.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are! so is nature
    (Original post by Samosa and Vada)
    Would like London, ozymandias or Dulce et decorum. I hate all the poems related to relationships. They are so hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zap56)
    Yes they are! so is nature
    Nature is ok. War and Conflict is good. Sonnet and Valentine is good.
    But what the hell is she walks in beauty, Cozy apologia, a wife in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samosa and Vada)
    Nature is ok. War and Conflict is good. Sonnet and Valentine is good.
    But what the hell is she walks in beauty, Cozy apologia, a wife in London.
    Hmm.. not a fan of death of a naturalist or hawk roosting either so if war/conflict comes up i will actually cry

ReputationRep:
    It is very unlikely that nature poems would come up due to the fact that they came up last year. Environment may come up, however, it does not have a strong opportunity compared to love and war. Furthermore, since this is the first year that we are doing this anthology they would not want us to fail especially because examiners are told to mark positively, thus, it I come to the conclusion that there is a very strong opportunity for love or war themes poems to come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zap56)
    Hmm.. not a fan of death of a naturalist or hawk roosting either so if war/conflict comes up i will actually cry
    I would recommend that you actually revise war/conflict themed poems due to their high chance of coming up.

ReputationRep:
    The best method and the most efficient method to revise all the poems in my opinion is this:

Since there are 18 poems and 4 themes (which are: )

Romance & Love
    Sonnet 43
    She walks in Beauty
    Valentine
    Cozy apologia
    Nature
    Death of a naturalist
    Excerpt from a prelude
    Afternoons
    Hawk Roosting
    To Autumn
    War & Conflict
    The soldier
    A Wife in London
    The Manhunt
    Mametz Wood
    Dulce et Decorum Est
    Environment
    As Imperceptibly as Grief
    Living Space
    Ozymandias
    London

Revise two poems from each theme. I personally plan to eliminate Nature since To Autumn came up in the specimen paper. I am replacing the two poems that I was to learn from Nature with one poem from War & Conflict and the other fromRomance & Love. If any other poem that I have not revised comes up I will tackle it as hidden poem with some background information from my lessons

This is purely my advice based on what I am planning to do. If anyone has better ideas please do share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6085)
    It is very unlikely that nature poems would come up due to the fact that they came up last year. Environment may come up, however, it does not have a strong opportunity compared to love and war. Furthermore, since this is the first year that we are doing this anthology they would not want us to fail especially because examiners are told to mark positively, thus, it I come to the conclusion that there is a very strong opportunity for love or war themes poems to come up.
    (Original post by 6085)
    I would recommend that you actually revise war/conflict themed poems due to their high chance of coming up.
    (Original post by 6085)
    The best method and the most efficient method to revise all the poems in my opinion is this:

Romance & Love
    Sonnet 43
    She walks in Beauty
    Valentine
    Cozy apologia
    Nature
    Death of a naturalist
    Excerpt from a prelude
    Afternoons
    Hawk Roosting
    To Autumn
    War & Conflict
    The soldier
    A Wife in London
    The Manhunt
    Mametz Wood
    Dulce et Decorum Est
    Environment
    Living Space
    Ozymandias
    London

Revise two poems from each theme. I personally plan to eliminate Nature since To Autumn came up in the specimen paper. I am replacing the two poems that I was to learn from Nature with one poem from War & Conflict and the other fromRomance & Love. If any other poem that I have not revised comes up I will tackle it as hidden poem with some background information from my lessons

This is purely my advice based on what I am planning to do. If anyone has better ideas please do share.
    Thats rather clever and is quite helpul. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zap56)
    Thats rather clever and is quite helpul. Thank you
    You are welcome. If you do have any different techniques please do share

ReputationRep:
    I would like to request that if anyone has good essays, notes, resources, presentations or revision booklets on any of the poems to please share them on this thread to enable the best optimum revision.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any comparative points for to autumn and death of a naturalist?

ReputationRep:
    this is v good for last minute revision
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pptx WJEC-Anthology-Key-Rings.pptx (182.3 KB, 415 views)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else not finished the poems in lessons yet? There was so much course content, and we still have 8 poems to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6085)

Romance & Love
    Sonnet 43
    She walks in Beauty
    Valentine
    Cozy apologia
    Nature
    Death of a naturalist
    Excerpt from a prelude
    Afternoons
    Hawk Roosting
    To Autumn
    War & Conflict
    The soldier
    A Wife in London
    The Manhunt
    Mametz Wood
    Dulce et Decorum Est
    Environment
    Living Space
    Ozymandias
    London
    How did you decide on the 4 themes and what poems came under each

ReputationRep:
    I have had a gut instinct for ages that it would be either: London, Ozymandias or Dulce... so coincidental that this is someone else's on the comments aswell.
    Nature came up last year and is the specimen exemplar so I doubt that it would come up. Also, let's not forget that Nature is (from the majority of people's opinions) the hardest theme and there is no Foundation or Higher paper so therefore, it will not be too hard a poem to analyse as it has to suit all capabilities.
    I really believe that London has a high chance of coming up due to the fact that it is (overall) a well-liked poem and compatible for all/most abilities. Also, due to this being the first year with the new GCSEs they won't choose a poem to challenging as they would get "hammered" in complaints etc.
    Also, for Ozymandias (a little Context with the real world): A statue of Ramasees II was recently found in the news.
    However, I hope that Dulce comes up as it has the most in depth analysed potential to give a high amount of marks. On the other hand, I do have a vision that I see: A Wife in London and The Manhunt apppearing (especially A Wife In London ; in particular).
    I highly believe that it will be: London, Ozymandias, Dulce or A Wife In London (possibly The Manhunt too).

ReputationRep:
    hello, I'm just curious as to which exact poems you're focusing on? I'm struggling to narrow it down to just 8 and with the exams approaching so quickly, I would appreciate knowing which ones you are focusing on thanks for the help you've given so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isobella.36)
    I have had a gut instinct for ages that it would be either: London, Ozymandias or Dulce... so coincidental that this is someone else's on the comments aswell.
    Nature came up last year and is the specimen exemplar so I doubt that it would come up. Also, let's not forget that Nature is (from the majority of people's opinions) the hardest theme and there is no Foundation or Higher paper so therefore, it will not be too hard a poem to analyse as it has to suit all capabilities.
    I really believe that London has a high chance of coming up due to the fact that it is (overall) a well-liked poem and compatible for all/most abilities. Also, due to this being the first year with the new GCSEs they won't choose a poem to challenging as they would get "hammered" in complaints etc.
    Also, for Ozymandias (a little Context with the real world): A statue of Ramasees II was recently found in the news.
    However, I hope that Dulce comes up as it has the most in depth analysed potential to give a high amount of marks. On the other hand, I do have a vision that I see: A Wife in London and The Manhunt apppearing (especially A Wife In London ; in particular).
    I highly believe that it will be: London, Ozymandias, Dulce or A Wife In London (possibly The Manhunt too).
    My English teacher gave us A Wife in London for the mocks, I guess he thinks its likely to come up as well...

ReputationRep:
    There's been a lot of hints at Afternoons, A Wife in London, She Walks in Beauty, and Manhunt. We've not been told directly but thats the general impression that most schools on the WJEC have been getting.
    I think I'll be revising The Solider too as that can be compared easily for nature or conflict.
    Also high chance of a romantic poet coming up seen as the government were determined to get it onto the spec so I'd try and remember general context for that.
    Good luck in the exam

ReputationRep:
    My school predicts Conflict/war as the most likely, then love/relationships. They thing Dulce is a likely one. To Autumn came up in ever example the board have sent out, so I'm eliminating those. Id learn all conflict first then love then the rest. I personally am not learning any nature as the chances of it coming up are very slim, if you want to learn those I would leave it till the end. To Autumn has roughly one or two percent chance of coming up so I wouldn't learn that. Priorities conflict.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.