lucyberesford
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm struggling to complete an essay based on the nature of love in both Rossetti's poetry and A dolls house. I can talk about the nature of love in both separately but i struggle with comparing the two works together. Does anyone have any suggestions?
alldaydreaming
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oooo! I study both of those! Are you doing OCR?
So, this is how I would probably approach the question.
Nature of love could be split into two main types of love: eros love (earthly love) and agape love (divine love)
In terms of eros love, you could bring in quite a few rossetti poems: twice, maude clare, souer louise, round tower
But in terms of linking this to ADH, you'll have to make good, strong links. e.g. you could talk about the "love" between Helmer and Nora - patronising, he treats her - therefore, is Ibsen portraying the nature of love as inequal? Or is it even love at all - considering Helmer's assertion in act three: "Am I not your husband?"
Conversely, of course, there's the "two shipwrecked souls" Christine & Krogstad - is their love equal? Is it typical of the Victorian era?
There is also the unrequited love Dr Rank has for Nora - what is the nature of his love for her?
Going back to Rossetti - Twice is a prime example of a speaker rejecting earthly/eros love in favour of agape - therefore what does Rossetti portray about the nature of eros love? Is it worth it? How could this be linked to No Thank You John?
Then, in terms of agape love, the speaker in Twice embraces it. How could you link this to A Birthday? Uphill even?
But perhaps Rossetti does give a more favourable portrayal of eros love in The Round Tower? But what could the fact that Skene kills his wife portray? Is love inequal? Is the typical of the patriarchal Victorian era? Is this type of love evident in A Doll's House?

Sorry for the cluttered ideas - but hopefully they'll act as a springboard for you to develop your essay

P.S. The best way to link them is to think: Is this typical of the Victorian era? Then bring the other one in to argue the text's typicality.
lucyberesford
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, this will help me complete my essay now. I'm also doing OCR! have you done any work on selfish love in relation to these works?
alldaydreaming
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lucyberesford)
Thank you so much, this will help me complete my essay now. I'm also doing OCR! have you done any work on selfish love in relation to these works?
We haven't looked at selfish love specifically as a separate theme but have kind of touched on it when talking about the nature of love. But I guess you could talk about a lot for selfish love e.g. Helmer prioritizing his own middle class 'bourgeois respectability' and masculinity over the needs/humanity of his wife. Also, in Rossetti's poem 'Song' the speaker could be interpreted as showing selfish love e.g. by commanding her lover to remember her - could say similar things about the poem 'Remember'. Could contrast with tragic love in the round tower. Could also maybe like to Twice? Because of the lover's "critical eye" and how he doesn't consider the speaker's heartbreak?

How do you feel about the upcoming exams? And what other texts are you studying?
lucyberesford
Rep:
?
I'm a bit worried about my english lit exam because i always struggle with how to revise the texts. Other texts we are using are A clockwork Orange, The Handmaid's tale, I984 and Hamlet. What other texts are you studying?
alldaydreaming
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lucyberesford)
I'm a bit worried about my english lit exam because i always struggle with how to revise the texts. Other texts we are using are A clockwork Orange, The Handmaid's tale, I984 and Hamlet. What other texts are you studying?
I'm studying Hamlet too! But we're doing American Literature for the other exam so we've studied The Great Gatsby & The Grapes of Wrath (but have explored the other possible texts: Huckleberry Finn, A Farewell to Arms, The Sound & The Fury for wider reading )

I'm feeling okay about the exams - I just struggle with the exam technique sometimes i.e. focusing on one AO more than the others which lets me down
edwardmullock
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same here in regard to texts
Nerding Out
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
you can always watch different interpretations, read the York Notes Guide for Hamlet, compare interpretations, look up critics on Quizlet and study links between Hamlet and Claudius, Hamlet and the ghost, Hamlet and his disgust at women being part of his disgust at himself, ooh and an endless theme is whether his madness really is fake. A point for that would be that Horatio says the ghost would draw him into madness and straight after seeing it Hamlet uses 'wild and whirling words'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads