Bradford Uni Clinical Sciences/Med Yr 0 Watch

Metal_Gear
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi all, I am the process of going through my UCAS once again and was looking at Bradford Universities course for Clinical Sciences/Medicine Foundation year. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw the entry requirements, which were only 200 points, with 20 places for transfer into Medicine at Leeds University after the first year. I have to know, what is the downside to all of this? Obviously as league tables go, Bradford isn't exactly Oxford, and Leeds is supposedly towards the bottom of the table for Medicine (last years standings I think?), but either way it seems like a good fall back plan if I don't get into my other choices, at least I have a chance of getting where I want in the end (i.e. becoming a Doctor), instead of settling for something else.

So guys, give it to me. Bradford Uni good or bad? What are the downsides of the course?

n.b. I already have 300 points, and if I hit my targets this year, including my 4th Chemistry A-Level, I will have 440 points (AABB). However, without Biology AS/A2 my medical choices are limited...hence why I am interested in this course.
stacey4415
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My friend did this, he got AAA at A2, yet still got no offers thus applied to Bradford through clearing,this year he ahs transferred to Leeds

It gets a lot of stick but Bradford is a very nice place, my boyfriend lives there so i'm there a lot and it's really nice, plus accomodation is very cheap, and apparantley one of the only places where it's actually a lot less than your maintenance loan!
aSian_cUtY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey yeah i did bradford clinical sciences and transferred...i did 1st year tho...which is much more harder and competitve than foundation year..its a risk which you need to work very hard for!! but it can be done..as i certainly did it!
LeedsLad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bradford is a hole ... its sort of used as a car park for its bigger brother Leeds
Metal_Gear
Rep:
?
^ LOL

Well is it a hole I can live in for a year? Essentially it is another route to get to Leeds Uni for me.
stacey4415
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's quite unfair..my boyfriend lives in Bradford, and some places are lovely, but to be fair...some people who don't live in Leeds..may think that the sections they have visited/seen in the media..may be a hole..but i know they're not as i live in a very nice, affluent area of Leeds.

Bradford is a very nice city i think.
Metal_Gear
Rep:
?
I'm sorry if my post offended you Stacey. I think the thread is going of on a tangent, perhaps I should post it in another forum as it is more to do with the course itself rather then just the location...
stacey4415
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It didn't offend me, don't worry!! I just didn't want people to think that Bradford was completely rubbish, obviously parts are, but some parts aren't

It didn't offend me though don't worry
sg_14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey,

If anyone is interested in going to Bradford to do this course and would like a copy of the Principles of Anatomy and Physiology 12th ed by tortora and derrickson (which is the only textbook you require on the course in order to pass) then PM me as I have a barely used edition for sale x
emilymay
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Metal_Gear)
Hi all, I am the process of going through my UCAS once again and was looking at Bradford Universities course for Clinical Sciences/Medicine Foundation year. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw the entry requirements, which were only 200 points, with 20 places for transfer into Medicine at Leeds University after the first year. I have to know, what is the downside to all of this? Obviously as league tables go, Bradford isn't exactly Oxford, and Leeds is supposedly towards the bottom of the table for Medicine (last years standings I think?), but either way it seems like a good fall back plan if I don't get into my other choices, at least I have a chance of getting where I want in the end (i.e. becoming a Doctor), instead of settling for something else.

So guys, give it to me. Bradford Uni good or bad? What are the downsides of the course?

n.b. I already have 300 points, and if I hit my targets this year, including my 4th Chemistry A-Level, I will have 440 points (AABB). However, without Biology AS/A2 my medical choices are limited...hence why I am interested in this course.
I applied for this uni this year as a back up choice to medicine, thank god I never had to use it! If you applied for this course then you'd actually be applying to the first year, which is the same as a medical first year, and then you'd be transferring into the second year of Leeds medical school if you got a place.
The problem is, they transfer about 70 students from the foundation year to the first year so their places are massively decreased, meaning they're very choosy about who they let into the first year. I got an offer for the foundation year, having previously applied to the first year. This would have meant me doing A level biology and chemistry (which is basically what the foundation year is) all over again when I already have A grades in them, and wasting another year (I'm already on a gap year). I only know of 1 other person who applied here and the same thing hapened to them. Thankfully I got offered a place at Leeds medical school anyway from my medicine applications and took a lot of pleasure in rejecting the bradford offer.
Leeds isn't bottom of the medical schools at all! I think Keele normally holds that position. Leeds is normally around 10th, going up or down a couple of places depending on who did the league table and the criterion they've used. The lowest I've ever seen it is 14th, and the highest I think 8th.
Halimaa8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
personal sttment help? examples?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (154)
18.73%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (81)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (140)
17.03%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (116)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (252)
30.66%

Watched Threads