Struggling with STI diagnosis

Watch this thread
lauralo1001
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I get out of a 2 year monogamous relationship, start participating in a single life at uni (nothing outrageous) and then bam, I allow my female best friend to go down on me and 1 week later I have genital HSV 1. Cue hysteria and emotions since I'd never been diagnosed with any kind of STD and I begin by catching a chronic one. So fast forward 2 months of complete celibacy where I'm on holiday with said female friend and other girls enjoying myself. 3 nights into the holiday I hadn't been getting drunk so I thought I might try the absinthe shots (bad idea) bam wake up with 2 men (complete strangers). 3 weeks later I get my genital warts diagnosis. Fabulous. So anyway, out of my friends I was probably the most reserved (them sleeping with strangers way over the amount of 20) and yet I somehow pick the short straw successively (none of them caught anything after their frequent unprotected sex on our holiday). I certainly feel like life has a vendetta against me anyway. So after a bit of background I get to the question, has anyone here had an std? The same as mine? How do you deal with constant crushing moods and regret and just the sickness you may feel when thinking about yourself? Also what's it like living with these things - months or maybe years down the line? I feel horrible since there's none of my friends who can relate to my situation, yet they still carry on being carelessly promiscuous and I'm left to suffer atm. Kinda wish I stuck to the relationship I was unhappy in.
Anon255
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lauralo1001)
So I get out of a 2 year monogamous relationship, start participating in a single life at uni (nothing outrageous) and then bam, I allow my female best friend to go down on me and 1 week later I have genital HSV 1. Cue hysteria and emotions since I'd never been diagnosed with any kind of STD and I begin by catching a chronic one. So fast forward 2 months of complete celibacy where I'm on holiday with said female friend and other girls enjoying myself. 3 nights into the holiday I hadn't been getting drunk so I thought I might try the absinthe shots (bad idea) bam wake up with 2 men (complete strangers). 3 weeks later I get my genital warts diagnosis. Fabulous. So anyway, out of my friends I was probably the most reserved (them sleeping with strangers way over the amount of 20) and yet I somehow pick the short straw successively (none of them caught anything after their frequent unprotected sex on our holiday). I certainly feel like life has a vendetta against me anyway. So after a bit of background I get to the question, has anyone here had an std? The same as mine? How do you deal with constant crushing moods and regret and just the sickness you may feel when thinking about yourself? Also what's it like living with these things - months or maybe years down the line? I feel horrible since there's none of my friends who can relate to my situation, yet they still carry on being carelessly promiscuous and I'm left to suffer atm. Kinda wish I stuck to the relationship I was unhappy in.
This is an old'ish post, but I had genital warts appear back in October 2016. I got them from a girl I dated quite a few months before, it was not a long term relationship as she was only living here for a few more months before finishing college. After moving home she found she had warts and notified me but I thought I'd be fine, but yeah.

It killed me at first, I just felt depressed constantly and kept researching and reading up on other peoples experiences until I eventually accepted it after treatment worked and they were gone. I kept myself busy with uni and practically forgot about it all, the thought of disclosure has come back recently due to dating a nice girl which has stressed me out a little but it didn't get to the point of disclosure so now I'm back to my relaxed self. I just keep myself busy with hobbies, family stuff and currently job searching.

I'm just hoping I don't see another wart again, and I eventually meet someone who has either had the vaccine that protects against warts, or someone who likes me enough to consider getting the vaccine. During the 6 months it takes for the vaccine you have the chance to build a great relationship, you can still have sex but take precautions to prevent spreading it.

You have it, keep yourself healthy, active and help your body fight it. In 1-2 years when you've had no new warts, it'll likely be much easier to disclose and you always have the chance of meeting a nice guy who is willing to either risk it as there is realistically no serious health issues with HPV warts for men (or women - not discussing cancer causing strains) or get the vaccine.

While it does suck, just remember there are a LOT of worse conditions out there, be thankful that it doesn't have serious implications on your health.

P.S. If you are looking for more, there is a STD website positivesingles where you could potentially meet someone if you have no luck.
ktcef2019
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I know this is an old post but I’m just wondering where you all are at in life now and how your diagnoses have affected you. I was just recently diagnosed with genital warts and am really struggling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (97)
68.31%
No (30)
21.13%
I didn't use it to prepare (15)
10.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed