The Student Room Group

Declining offers after results day

How long have you got to decline offers,if received,after results day?
I am asking this because I have various routes planned and they slightly overlap,i.e - if I got a place in my firm choice,I would not know if I got in elsewhere - in a different country as the systems work differently.

I know,it's complicated,but someone may relate,eh?

Thanks in advance,much appreciated x
Accepting a place on UCAS doesn't mean you can't subsequently withdraw from that place; it just means you can't accept another offer through UCAS. In fact until you actually register for modules and so on, there isn't much to tie you there anyway. If you do wish to decline the place after accepting it on UCAS, you'll need to email the university admissions team; they can then list the place in clearing/adjustment if applicable.

Generally they'll appreciate you letting them know as soon as possible however any applications outside of UCAS can be pursued as long as you wish, you just can't accept multiple offers from UK universities through UCAS (you could conceivably accept an offer from a private university in the UK if you applied to it directly in addition to your UCAS application, as well as your firm/insurance in UCAS).
Original post by ewisniewska
How long have you got to decline offers,if received,after results day?
I am asking this because I have various routes planned and they slightly overlap,i.e - if I got a place in my firm choice,I would not know if I got in elsewhere - in a different country as the systems work differently.

I know,it's complicated,but someone may relate,eh?

Thanks in advance,much appreciated x

You can withdraw before the start of the course without problems.

The things to watch out for is online enrolment/registration which includes a commitment to pay fees (or a deposit if you're international) and non refundable accommodation deposits/contracts.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
You can withdraw before the start of the course without problems.

The things to watch out for is online enrolment/registration which includes a commitment to pay fees (or a deposit if you're international) and non refundable accommodation deposits/contracts.

Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Accepting a place on UCAS doesn't mean you can't subsequently withdraw from that place; it just means you can't accept another offer through UCAS. In fact until you actually register for modules and so on, there isn't much to tie you there anyway. If you do wish to decline the place after accepting it on UCAS, you'll need to email the university admissions team; they can then list the place in clearing/adjustment if applicable.

Generally they'll appreciate you letting them know as soon as possible however any applications outside of UCAS can be pursued as long as you wish, you just can't accept multiple offers from UK universities through UCAS (you could conceivably accept an offer from a private university in the UK if you applied to it directly in addition to your UCAS application, as well as your firm/insurance in UCAS).

Thank you!
The earlier you decline your place the more likely it is that they will be able to offer that place to someone else. So dont wait until the day before enrolment. But yes of course you can just withdraw your UCAS application at UCAS if you decide to go to Uni somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending