cdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm unsure about how they came up with 'Correlation coefficient: 0.9886'

How do i work out the correlation coefficient from the data provided?

A food company wanted to know if the amount of taste enhancer added to one of its products has any effect. It ran a test by adding eight different amounts and asking a panel of tasters to rank the results.

Table 2 Food company data

(See attachment)

See below the corresponding Excel regression output.

Name:  quants.png
Views: 89
Size:  12.7 KB

Question
  1. a. Comment on the relationship between the amount of enhancer and the ranking by the panel. Clearly justify your claim.

Answer

Correlation coefficient: 0.9886

Strong positive correlation between amount of enhancers and the rank by the panel.

A large number of enhancers added to the food seems to be associated with a higher rank of the food. Considering a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 representing a ‘low‘ rank and 10 a ‘high’ rank.
Attached files
Nishantkumar19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you square root the value they give for Multiple R (0.977359), you get 0.9886, which is the correlation coefficient in the answer.

I'm not sure if that's how it actually works. I just sorta stumbled upon that.
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is all distinctly odd. The value given is the square root of the pearson correlation coefficient. However, one of the vectors is a set of ranks, so a rank correlation coefficient would make much more sense!

Similarly, linear regression is not an appropriate means of analysis as the outcome variable is a rank.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads