Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I call RSPCA? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, serious answers please.
    So my mum has this dog, a Pitbull mixed with some other kind of breed...
    When my stepdad left she became very depressed and let herself go. Without going into detail but summing it up, the dog became neglected. She never walks him etc and can't afford his vet treatments as he's ill. His nails are overgrown and when I tried to cut them, even with a muzzle on the dog I could only remove a few and his feet are too sore to even let me hold them.

Thing is, I want to help. I've been considering calling the RSPCA as if I was the owner whilst my mums in work to ask them to take him because of the previously mentioned reasons. What's the right thing to do?
    If I did this how would I tell my mum? She'd be devastated!

I just can't leave the dog like this guys...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    perhaps call them up for advice and see what they say, also maybe get some counselling for your mum too, hope this works out for you <3

ReputationRep:
    Well I think the RSPCA usually tries to get owners to improve their behaviour rather than just taking the animal straight away but you would be putting the dog at risk because pitbulls can struggle to be rehomed due to their reputation. Can you not talk to your mum about caring for the dog or attempt to rehome it yourself? It obviously cannot continue as it is, it's very cruel to the animal.

ReputationRep:
    Try ringing the PDSA or the Blue Cross. The RSPCA will prosecute her not help. They might well kill the dog. The will also prosecute anyone who sees the dog regularly and and has not ensured that it gets veterinary treatment as necessary.

(Original post by Youngjade300)
    Hi there, serious answers please.
    So my mum has this dog, a Pitbull mixed with some other kind of breed...
    When my stepdad left she became very depressed and let herself go. Without going into detail but summing it up, the dog became neglected. She never walks him etc and can't afford his vet treatments as he's ill. His nails are overgrown and when I tried to cut them, even with a muzzle on the dog I could only remove a few and his feet are too sore to even let me hold them.

Thing is, I want to help. I've been considering calling the RSPCA as if I was the owner whilst my mums in work to ask them to take him because of the previously mentioned reasons. What's the right thing to do?
    If I did this how would I tell my mum? She'd be devastated!

I just can't leave the dog like this guys...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eeek! Don't ever say pitbull if you describe this dog. RSPCA and police will seize it and prosecute under Dangerous Dogs Act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire Johnstone)
    Try ringing the PDSA or the Blue Cross. The RSPCA will prosecute her not help. They might well kill the dog. The will also prosecute anyone who sees the dog regularly and and has not ensured that it gets veterinary treatment as necessary.
    RSPCA do offer advice where possible. It's cheaper for them than the legal proceedings, and avoids the distress caused to the dog when removing it.

Re; killing. If the dog is a banned breed then that's not their fault, and the other organisations will be in a similar position. No point blaming the RSPCA for that.

PDSA and Blue Cross might be able to help. All three charities are worth talking to, by the sound of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire Johnstone)
    pretty much this.

the RSPCA pretend to be a lovely bunch but in reality they are :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:s.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so what should I do guys? Do I contact Blue Cross or PDSA and ask them to take the dog? My mum cannot take care of the dog and as i've said I have tried to take care of him but I have failed too. I wish this never happened but it has unfortunately and right now all I want to do is get the dog some help and a better life!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngjade300)
    Okay so what should I do guys? Do I contact Blue Cross or PDSA and ask them to take the dog? My mum cannot take care of the dog and as i've said I have tried to take care of him but I have failed too. I wish this never happened but it has unfortunately and right now all I want to do is get the dog some help and a better life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, or you could try to ring up local animal shelters, if you try to rehome him however, make sure he goes no a no kill shelter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.