Couple questions about SNP

Watch
Grespino
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't really understand politics, nor am I old enough to vote so here is what I'm asking.

Can Nicola Sturgeon become PM?
Can you vote SNP outside scotland?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Grespino)
I don't really understand politics, nor am I old enough to vote so here is what I'm asking.

She could in theory, but in practice it's very unlikely she could form a government. There are not enough SNP candidates being fielded in this election to gain an outright majority, and any coalition government would be lead by Labour if anyone I would have thought.

SNP do not have any candidates standing for election south of the border, so no, you can't vote for them outside Scotland.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Grespino)

No as she isnt an MP and isnt standing as one at the moment and as Angus Robertson is their westminster leader so he would become PM but the SNP arent going to get a majority as there isnt enough seats in Scotland.

And no you cant vote for them outside Scotland, and why would you want to anyway? :confused:
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jack22031994)
No as she isnt an MP and isnt standing as one at the moment and as Angus McPherson is their westminster leader so he would become PM but the SNP arent going to get a majority as there isnt enough seats in Scotland.

And no you cant vote for them outside Scotland, and why would you want to anyway? :confused:
Not sure if it is still possible to have a non MP as prime Minister, as far as am aware has not happened since the late 19th century very early 20th century, see this article.

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2013/04/...ouse-of-lords/

In practice will I expect never happen that an non MP becomes PM, then again never is rather a long time.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DJKL)
Not sure if it is still possible to have a non MP as prime Minister, as far as am aware has not happened since the late 19th century very early 20th century, see this article.

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2013/04/...ouse-of-lords/

In practice will I expect never happen that an non MP becomes PM, then again never is rather a long time.

I dont think so either.

People dont like Theresa May being 'unelected' (which theyre completely wrong in saying) but I guess they wont like a non-MP being PM!
Grespino
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you very much everyone
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jack22031994)
No as she isnt an MP and isnt standing as one at the moment and as Angus McPherson is their westminster leader
Angus Robertson.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Angus Robertson.
That's right! :facepalm:

Don't know why I thought McPherson - he's the PCC for Wiltshire!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.38%
Uncertainty around my education (62)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (65)
12.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (71)
13.17%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (29)
5.38%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (24)
4.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (57)
10.58%
Financial worries (34)
6.31%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.71%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
6.12%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.78%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (55)
10.2%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (45)
8.35%

Watched Threads