Chemistry Electrochemistry Help Watch

Roman hang Limbu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
"Use data from the table to explain why chlorine should undergo a redox reaction with water. Write an equation for this.." Can someone explain this question in normal language?? Please...Any help or contribution is very much appreciated thankyou.
Logic4Life
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Roman hang Limbu)
"Use data from the table to explain why chlorine should undergo a redox reaction with water. Write an equation for this.." Can someone explain this question in normal language?? Please...Any help or contribution is very much appreciated thankyou.
Im presuming you have redox equations for the reduction/oxidation of water and an equation for the redox/oxidation of Chlorine. Are you given voltages for the redox equations? If so look at which has a higher voltage.and which has the lower voltage. Write an equation for the species which has a higher voltage as a reduction and the one with the lower voltage as an oxidation reaction. Do the electrons balance? Combine the 2 equations to form an overall equation. A redox equation is where electrons are transferred between two species so think about what is happening in terms of electrons.
Roman hang Limbu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Logic4Life)
Im presuming you have redox equations for the reduction/oxidation of water and an equation for the redox/oxidation of Chlorine. Are you given voltages for the redox equations? If so look at which has a higher voltage.and which has the lower voltage. Write an equation for the species which has a higher voltage as a reduction and the one with the lower voltage as an oxidation reaction. Do the electrons balance? Combine the 2 equations to form an overall equation. A redox equation is where electrons are transferred between two species so think about what is happening in terms of electrons.
Thanks for the reply it helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads