A-Double Science
A-History
A-Geography
A-Resistant Materials
A-Religious Studies
C-English Lit
C-English Language

A levels -
Maths, Chemistry, Biology, EPQ and Gold DofE.

Do you think I have a chance to get into Medicine with a C in English Language
( I was born in Italy from a SriLankan descent and my first language is Italian)
Reply 1
same chance as everyone else.
you gotta go above and beyond to make up for your c. most other applicants will have straight A/A*
C is still a pass. In medicine concerning GCSEs (from what I've seen as a GCSE student), the subjects of most concern are chemistry, maths, biology/physics. You dont need A*s in English to get into medicine for most unis as it's not a requirement, so I wouldn't stress too much especially since English is not your native language.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mahima G
My GCSE grades are:

A*-Geography
A-Maths
A-Core Science
A-Double Science
A-History
A-Geography
A-Resistant Materials
A-Religious Studies
C-English Lit
C-English Language

A levels -

( I was born in Italy from a SriLankan descent and my first language is Italian)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

This is a little out of date now but it's a place to start. For some unis it will rule you out. Just don't apply to those unis!
Also, there are a few univeristies that don't even look at your GCSE grades, like even Cambridge Univeristy, one of the most prestigious uni in the world, are actually only taking in applicants based on A level results from 2017. So yh, you're good
Original post by airportsh8me
Also, there are a few univeristies that don't even look at your GCSE grades, like even Cambridge Univeristy, one of the most prestigious uni in the world, are actually only taking in applicants based on A level results from 2017. So yh, you're good

WHAT
Reply 6
Original post by Neostigmine
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

This is a little out of date now but it's a place to start. For some unis it will rule you out. Just don't apply to those unis!

So basically no Medical Unis for me. I want to stay in London. I worked hard for no reason.
So basically no Medical Unis for me. I want to stay in London. I worked hard for no reason.

Except all the unis that are happy with the C. And the fact that its out of date...

Strong location preferences really aren't compatible with medicine. Even if you could afford to be picky about which medical schools you apply to (and most can't) and you got into London, you would still have lots of placements outside London, and then doctors jobs involve a lot of moving around. There's absolutely no guarantee you would get allocated a job within 100 miles of London. That's the reality - your grades haven't changed anything.

Edit: and of course you know you are being over-dramatic regardless. Obviously having good grades sets up opportunities for you in many fields, not just medicine.
(edited 6 years ago)

You're ruling yourself out then? Have you looked at more up to date info? Checked the uni websites?

Med school applications are complicated. You need to put in some leg work here and properly research it.
Reply 9
It's also possible for you to resit your English to improve your grade and meet more unis' minimum requirements. It'll take you a few hours to check what's needed and whether they'll take resits but that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

You need to forget about location though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

u can do the uni in Birmingham which maybe might be a bit more lenient its up to ut l'd suggest either finding a uni in London or look further out abit
In the end it's really up to work experience and awards (like duke of edinburgh for instance) so as long as your A levels are really good and you impress them with your cv otherwise I'm pretty sure you have a chance. Unis are now really looking for volunteering on cvs and that sort of thing too - something that makes you stand out. Lots of applicants have very good gcses and A levels - top universities want more. Also, it is true about Cambridge - they say on their website that they think it is unfair to judge people only on gcses. i don't really think they would discriminate on your English, especially as your other grades are so good.
Some unis allow one resist. Do some research and see if they'll allow you to resist English language. Getting a B or an A will really help you. You still meet the entry requirements for some unis though so make sure you do good on the ukcat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My GCSE grades are:

A*-Geography
A-Maths
A-Core Science
A-Double Science
A-History
A-Geography
A-Resistant Materials
A-Religious Studies
C-English Lit
C-English Language

A levels -

I'm sure that'll you'd be allowed to do so.
Original post by airportsh8me

Actually they do, my friend got comments on her GCSE grades on her feedback letter from Cambridge

End of the day, it’s your a levels and experience that count. Most places just require a C at GCSE for English and maths so don’t stress about it too much - your other grades prove that you’re a good student and it looks like you just didn’t get on with English as a subject (same as me)
My GCSE grades are:

A*-Geography
A-Maths
A-Core Science
A-Double Science
A-History
A-Geography
A-Resistant Materials
A-Religious Studies
C-English Lit
C-English Language

A levels -

Wow well done on all the others congrats πŸ‘πŸŽ‰ you could try and perhaps resit the English or do another one
Reply 17
Original post by multirenaissance
Wow well done on all the others congrats πŸ‘πŸŽ‰ you could try and perhaps resit the English or do another one

This thread is 4 years old, so they will have done something by now!

Quick Reply

Latest