The Little Stranger and The Picture Of Dorian Gray. Watch

ors1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently studying these two novels for one side of my A level English literature course and the two texts are supposedly comparatively compatible. Pretty much I am struggling predominantly with TLS alone, but I am finding comparing the two texts near impossible and I'm panicking about my exam. if anyone has any tips about this novel and how to analyse/ compare to DG please help me!
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
niamh_finnie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
duality of characters and differences in setting
niamh_finnie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
duality of characters: dorian and his painting, appears innocent at first but then his gothic side starts to take over as he sins more. Faraday appears to be helping the family at first but his true motives are to take over hundreds
setting: PDG: upper class london and the more seedier side. TLS: a house which is falling apart, main gothic feature, characters seems normal
the use of light in both novels - when events occur in TLS the house is lit up, like when gillian gets bitten. light gives the false sense of calm and order but really it makes the characters blind to the supernatural. light allows shadows to lurk
SamanthaJMI27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I was totally panicking too, the whole system is f*cked up - I'm especially hating the Wife Of Bath!But here are some fall back things I write about:Voices (e.g Caroline and sibyl both have low melodious voices etc.)Rings - in both they are used as a symbol of class but Mrs Ayres are looseThe idea of doubles as enablers (and you could do a fancy link to Jekyll and Hyde)Class - Dorian strives to sink in his class while Faraday strives to blossom (blossom was the wrong use of word, I'm making him sound like he just hit puberty or something!)Neither belong in their class - Faraday is a doctor from a working background and so is classless and Dorian and Sibyl both have mixed class parentageThe portrayal of the aristocratic houses - Hundreds is what the aristocracy's will look like etc.
Taylormckenzie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SamanthaJMI27)
Hey I was totally panicking too, the whole system is f*cked up - I'm especially hating the Wife Of Bath!But here are some fall back things I write about:Voices (e.g Caroline and sibyl both have low melodious voices etc.)Rings - in both they are used as a symbol of class but Mrs Ayres are looseThe idea of doubles as enablers (and you could do a fancy link to Jekyll and Hyde)Class - Dorian strives to sink in his class while Faraday strives to blossom (blossom was the wrong use of word, I'm making him sound like he just hit puberty or something!)Neither belong in their class - Faraday is a doctor from a working background and so is classless and Dorian and Sibyl both have mixed class parentageThe portrayal of the aristocratic houses - Hundreds is what the aristocracy's will look like etc.

what was your exam question?
Taylormckenzie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ors1999)
I am currently studying these two novels for one side of my A level English literature course and the two texts are supposedly comparatively compatible. Pretty much I am struggling predominantly with TLS alone, but I am finding comparing the two texts near impossible and I'm panicking about my exam. if anyone has any tips about this novel and how to analyse/ compare to DG please help me!
hey there! what was your exam questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
7.97%
I used to but I don't now (24)
2.77%