The Student Room Group

Not enough UCAS points for graduate schemes - should/can I retake?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pmc:producer
So no company you've every came across requires a minimum number of UCAS points? And that's after 15 years of recruitment? LOL

Read what I said again. It's completely compatible with having see a few companies that have a minimum UCAS point requirement and apply it rigidly. Is English your first language?
Original post by threeportdrift
I've been closely involved in graduate recruitment for the last 15 years. I've never met a company that filtered on UCAS points automatically, without a human being reading the application and able to take other factors into consideration (overseas education, health issues, mitigating factors etc).

That's interesting. I knew J-SP was a recruiter, but I didn't know you'd had so much graduate recruitment experience as well. We're spoilt with the calibre of CAs here! :smile:
Original post by Princepieman
J-SP has been recruiting across several orgs for several years dude. You're literally just about to start a grad scheme.

And @J-SP has helped a huge number of people by posting verifiable, factually accurate advice on the Legal careers thread in particular. I know from messages from users just how valued her contributions are :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
And @J-SP has helped a huge number of people by posting verifiable, factually accurate advice on the Legal careers thread in particular. I know from messages from users just how valued her contributions are :smile:

Yep, not just there but across the careers sub-forum in general.
Reply 24
Just to say, and as already noted by @Princepieman, the OP may not be making an entirely serious enquiry.
Original post by TSRhello199
Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the incorrect place to post.

So in brief, I didn't do particularly well during my A-level's, but did well during my undergraduate degree, and then completed a postgraduate diploma and masters in a Russel Group University and did well in them. Many of the jobs I want to apply for require a UCAS point threshold, which I don't meet. I was thinking an easy solution would be to re-sit my A levels, which I now think I can achieve much better grades in.

I have heard that re-sitting A-levels won't translate into UCAS points (that seems bizarre) because they seem to work for University applications.

In sum, I'm wondering if it is possible to pay a college, re-sit my A levels, and then overcome this hurdle of a minimum UCAS point requirement.

Thanks!

Have you tried ringing admissions to see if they will reconsider based on university performance? I'm in this situation as I want to switch to law. One law firm told me they will overlook my A levels based on my % at university.
Some firms/companies will still only look at your first sitting results (and some will have annoying application forms with exact dates of when you achieved the grade - i.e. it would look suspect to a recruiter) but I mean it could be a possibility.. It's just that the time sink in redoing A-levels at this stage seems a bit unnecessary.

Have you actually attempted applying anywhere? From my experience, even with low grades - if you have other strong aspects of your CV you can still get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

WAIT WHAT I resat my A LEVELS?!?!
Original post by TSRhello199
Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the incorrect place to post.

So in brief, I didn't do particularly well during my A-level's, but did well during my undergraduate degree, and then completed a postgraduate diploma and masters in a Russel Group University and did well in them. Many of the jobs I want to apply for require a UCAS point threshold, which I don't meet. I was thinking an easy solution would be to re-sit my A levels, which I now think I can achieve much better grades in.

I have heard that re-sitting A-levels won't translate into UCAS points (that seems bizarre) because they seem to work for University applications.

In sum, I'm wondering if it is possible to pay a college, re-sit my A levels, and then overcome this hurdle of a minimum UCAS point requirement.

Thanks!

How many points have you got? And what has this got to do with the graduate scheme? Sorry I'm just a bit lost because I'll be applying for Masters and the Graduate Scheme
Okay, I'm really worried now. I resat my first year of A levels. Do they really look at my first year results only? oh wait, I resat my AS levels. Surely, that doesn't contribute to like.... my entire A level no? Will I be affected by this minimum UCAS poiint stuff
Original post by APersonYo
Okay, I'm really worried now. I resat my first year of A levels. Do they really look at my first year results only? oh wait, I resat my AS levels. Surely, that doesn't contribute to like.... my entire A level no? Will I be affected by this minimum UCAS poiint stuff

Side note I did AS level with old qualification
resat AS year with new qualification
and im going to complete new qualification this year

Read the thread..

Especially posts by J-SP and threeportdrift

Posted from TSR Mobile

also resitting AS levels doesn't mean anything at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
also resitting AS levels doesn't mean anything at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by ' means nothing at all' Im just worried about the specific criteria of the ' first sitting' notion?
What do you mean by ' means nothing at all' Im just worried about the specific criteria of the ' first sitting' notion?

First sitting of your complete A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
First sitting of your complete A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay so i guess I should be fine then because they changed the spec ?

Quick Reply