The Student Room Group

How much should you be earning at the age 23-25?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Personally, around 15?

A few banking/trading associates, some 2nd/3rd year PQE magic circle lawyers, few software guys at large tech companies, some consultants at Mck and BCG and a private equity associate from my old old school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the average graduate salary (straight out of university) is 28k then 30k+ after several years of experience seems totally reasonable...
There is a difference between what the average graduate job pays and what the average graduate is paid since the majority of graduates are not actually employed on graduate schemes.

Generally speaking if your wage starts with a £2xxxx then i'd be pretty pleased at that age.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
It isn't the average graduate salary though..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone posted early quoting stats from glassdoor. Or do you mean it's not the average since it's skewed by very high earners? I guess it also depends on what you count as a 'graduate' salary - e.g. are you only counting those that go into graduate-type jobs rather than those that don't require a degree (I must admit I don't know how the stats are made up)
Probably around £28k as that's the average grad salary.
https://www.graduate-jobs.com/gco/Booklet/graduate-salary-salaries.jsp

I'm starting a degree apprenticeship this September at a top management consultancy firm in London and my contracted salary for my third year is £28,000 with a £2000 lump sum bonus, I would be 21 whilst earning this salary.

They clarified to me that this is the average amount a grad would be earning in the UK hence why I'm being paid this amount.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've never seen a graduate job advertised as over £25,000, unless it's in London. Depends on the area.
Most graduate jobs I see are around £20,000 - £25,000, I can't believe there are people coming straight out of uni and getting 30k jobs :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snowystarks
I've never seen a graduate job advertised as over £25,000, unless it's in London. Depends on the area.
Most graduate jobs I see are around £20,000 - £25,000, I can't believe there are people coming straight out of uni and getting 30k jobs :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know all those jobs advertised as £competitive? Yeah they pay a lot usually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
35K in the south
30k up north

Tbh I think I've seen some jobs paying 35K in the north too but I want to keep learning at this new place.
(edited 6 years ago)
Well apparently unemployment with graduates is high for whatever reason.

But I say as long as you can take care of yourself without struggling too much then you're good.
Original post by Sammylou40
:lolz::lolz::lolz::lolz:

Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Sources?
that seems far too much for 23 years old

That wage seems fairly standard for London though
Original post by J-SP
Really depends on the job. Plenty I have seen and managed recruitment processes for describe themselves as competitive, and technically they are within the market, but they are still paying around the £20-22k mark, and some of those are even in London.

Competitive doesn't mean high pay, it just means you are paying at the higher end of the going market rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair point.
21k~ sounds about right
28-30k
Reply 33
Original post by roflcakes1
If the average graduate salary (straight out of university) is 28k then 30k+ after several years of experience seems totally reasonable...

Except it's not. Average grad starting salary is about £20,500.
Original post by Quady
Except it's not. Average grad starting salary is about £20,500.

The average graduate salary is low cause of the amount of dead-end degrees people do with no future job prospects, people should look at the average starting salary for their degree, that should be your benchmark. For example, the average starting salary for an economic's graduate is £27,000, which is considerably higher than the total average.
(edited 6 years ago)
Old thread, but still hilarious to see all the students thinking they're gonna be making over 30k when they graduate :rofl:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Old thread, but still hilarious to see all the students thinking they're gonna be making over 30k when they graduate :rofl:

Plenty of people I went to university with still haven't broken 25k after 2-3 years and they're in perfectly respectable, skilled jobs. I think lots of people look at a few graduate schemes and assume that is the going rate, when in reality it is much different.

In the majority of circumstances if the salary of your first "proper" job starts with a 2 you're doing fine. In your first few years the experience will be far more useful than an extra £200 a month in your take home pay.

The jobs i'm looking at right now are only in the early 30s and I have 2.5 years experience in a sector known for good pay.
Reply 37
Original post by snowystarks

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 of the grad jobs I applied for which weren't in London..

EDF Finance grad scheme - £27000
E.ON Finance grad scheme - £29,000
Npower Risk grad scheme £30,000 + £2500 staring bonus (MSc in Finance/Maths areas only though)
Reply 38
Original post by Syrianprince
The average graduate salary is low cause of the amount of dead-end degrees people do with no future job prospects, people should look at the average starting salary for their degree, that should be your benchmark. For example, the average starting salary for an economic's graduate is £27,000, which is considerably higher than the total average.

Like Archeology you mean?
I feel like at that age most people are on a similar kind of wage bracket; maybe the 21k-27k a year kinda level.
obvs there will be exceptions but generally I feel like that's where people are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending