The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni help and advice pls

Hi all,

A quick background, I am 20 working 4-6 days a week doing maintenance engineering, I am doing my BSc in engineering (one day a week at uni) and finishing off some smaller college courses that I started last year.
I have an issue, its all too much and I want to drop out. The problem is the company I work for paid for my course which means I have to explain to my boss why I wasted their money. I'm not sure whats harder, telling my boss or dealing with dropping out and having to tell everyone that I couldnt handle the pressure when they all had faith in me.

I am just wondering if I am over reacting to the whole thing? Or if anyone has ever expericance something similar?
Any help would be nice, even just telling me I am being an idiot.
Reply 1
Original post by Raws01
Hi all,

A quick background, I am 20 working 4-6 days a week doing maintenance engineering, I am doing my BSc in engineering (one day a week at uni) and finishing off some smaller college courses that I started last year.
I have an issue, its all too much and I want to drop out. The problem is the company I work for paid for my course which means I have to explain to my boss why I wasted their money. I'm not sure whats harder, telling my boss or dealing with dropping out and having to tell everyone that I couldnt handle the pressure when they all had faith in me.

I am just wondering if I am over reacting to the whole thing? Or if anyone has ever expericance something similar?

If it is too much for you man, then 100% drop out, life shouldn't be too stressful, you only live for a short amount of time. Go do what you wanna do man, you ain't an idiot. Man up and tell your boss dude. Your the man
Well it may be better to discuss your options with your boss instead. Could you work less hours? Could you move some of your academic courses to part time? You should talk to your boss and student services to see if the only option is dropping out before you do anything rash.
Original post by Raws01
Hi all,

i agree with the first guy, taking on too much could cause your brain to develop a disorder
Reply 4
Original post by Raws01
Hi all,

You need to prioritise three things:
1) Job
2) Finishing uni
3) Finishing college courses

I'm guessing the job isn't optional, which leaves the two lots of studying. Of those, I would consider dropping the college courses first to see whether that eases the pressure enough. Trying to complete multiple courses at once is never ideal, as the final stages will always have a heavier workload of coursework/projects/exams.

One day a week at uni shouldn't be that onerous, so if things don't improve after that, try getting some advice from your uni's Student Support on study techniques which might streamline how you study.

Quick Reply

Latest