in your opinion which party leader would be the best Brexit negotiator and why?

Watch
username2124911
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I frankly dont like any of them but here is what i think of the leaders of the big 3 parties:
Theresa May: dont like her but at least she has a plan for brexit and she is delivering a hard brexit
Jeremy Corbyn: nice guy and has some good ideas but has no brexit plan
Tim Farron: wants to reject article 50 so not a good negotiator as he wants to reject the result
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
May all the way
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does it matter, they would not be the one's directly negotiating, they will help frame parameters, they will chair discussions once feedback obtained, they may make occasional direct head of state contact to try to get over sticky bits, but negotiate is not what they will do.

Personally, if I wanted a negotiator, I would recruit a couple of used car salesmen.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Jeremy Corbyn.

Whenever the EU negotiators say something he doesn't like, or doesn't understand, he can just do that thing where he looks down over his glasses at them and says nothing for a few seconds before saying something irrelevant. By doing this, he will score huge concessions on access to the single market.

He can open all negotiations with a question from one of his jobless constituents: "Monsieur Barnier, my constituent Angela does not agree with the UK paying an exit fee. (pause - increase in pitch of voice) Why do you think we should?"

He can get the EU negotiators onside by simply handing over Gibraltar to Spain and Ulster to Ireland.

He can be very clever by pretending to be a total moron, whilst secretly being a total moron.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Bit nonsensical because they would all negotiate different forms of Brexit. In the case of Farron he wouldnt want to go through with it at all. So best would be in terms of what sort of agreement you wanted. The leaders would do the negotiating anyway.
DogeOfDisaproval
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nigel "Can't be barraged" Farage
username2124911
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by DogeOfDisaproval)
Nigel "Can't be barraged" Farage
Yeah he understands the eu better than anyone and has owned them on several occasions, shame he won't be running this year
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by asim1999)
I frankly dont like any of them but here is what i think of the leaders of the big 3 parties:
Theresa May: dont like her but at least she has a plan for brexit and she is delivering a hard brexit
Jeremy Corbyn: nice guy and has some good ideas but has no brexit plan
Tim Farron: wants to reject article 50 so not a good negotiator as he wants to reject the result
Why do you say that Corbyn is a 'nice guy'?
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pol pot noodles)
Why do you say that Corbyn is a 'nice guy'?
Because he is...
I don't like they guy as a leader, he's hopeless. But of all the leaders he looks the most normal and least stage managed/awkward when interacting with members of the public.

When Osborne or Cameron did one of their PR trips and talked to ordinary people, it was as if they'd never seen anyone who wasn't upper middle class. They were just incredibly awkward.

Just watch this!!

pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Because he is...
I don't like they guy as a leader, he's hopeless. But of all the leaders he looks the most normal and least stage managed/awkward when interacting with members of the public.

When Osborne or Cameron did one of their PR trips and talked to ordinary people, it was as if they'd never seen anyone who wasn't upper middle class. They were just incredibly awkward.

Just watch this!!

Jeremy Corbyn had the most 'normal' upbringing yes, that's not proof he's a nice guy. Posh people can be friendly and nice too, and there are absolute horrible people who can hold good conversation!
I'm just wondering are there anecdotes or stories about Corbyn where he gets this tag as a 'nice', 'decent' chap from?
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Jeremy Corbyn had the most 'normal' upbringing yes, that's not proof he's a nice guy. Posh people can be friendly and nice too, and there are absolute horrible people who can hold good conversation!
I'm just wondering are there anecdotes or stories about Corbyn where he gets this tag as a 'nice', 'decent' chap from?
I think just generallly people who meet him, even if they disagree with him and think he's hopeless remark that he is a very pleasant and lovely individual on a normal level.

He is actually very good when meeting members of the public or when he goes into schools. He looks a lot more natural and far less stage managed than other politicians. He seems like he really cares about he concerns rather than simply doing a PR stunt and looking awkward.

Hopeless leader but nice guy pretty much sums him up well.
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
I think just generallly people who meet him, even if they disagree with him and think he's hopeless remark that he is a very pleasant and lovely individual on a normal level.

He is actually very good when meeting members of the public or when he goes into schools. He looks a lot more natural and far less stage managed than other politicians. He seems like he really cares about he concerns rather than simply doing a PR stunt and looking awkward.

Hopeless leader but nice guy pretty much sums him up well.
I do think it's weird how posh, unrelatable Tories like Boris Johnson and David Cameron had such high levels of public popularity. Like not even in a 'I don't like them but think they'd run the country better' way, but atleast where I lived they had proper surburban Essex man 'he's a geezer' support. Boris especially a few years ago was a Tory rockstar.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do think it's weird how posh, unrelatable Tories like Boris Johnson and David Cameron had such high levels of public popularity. Like not even in a 'I don't like them but think they'd run the country better' way, but atleast where I lived they had proper surburban Essex man 'he's a geezer' support. Boris especially a few years ago was a Tory rockstar.
Because they are PR men.
Boris plays the lovable bafoon expertly and cynically to good effect.

People never loved Cameron like they did Blair or Thatcher but they respected him as he came across as professional and a strong leader.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
May is the same as Osborne, when she meets members of the public it's as if she doesn't know how to act normally.

Not saying that this impacts her ability to be PM but it's astonishing to see the lack of social skills.

Probably the only thing Corbyn has over her, being able to look like he's not putting on an act when meeting ordinary people.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Bit nonsensical because they would all negotiate different forms of Brexit. In the case of Farron he wouldnt want to go through with it at all. So best would be in terms of what sort of agreement you wanted. The leaders would do the negotiating anyway.
The chances of a Farron-led government are exceptionally remote - but let's say he did by some miracle form a government, or in some capacity ended up Foreign Sec or something - this would also assume that a 2nd referendum takes place, which yields a different outcome.
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
The chances of a Farron-led government are exceptionally remote - but let's say he did by some miracle form a government, or in some capacity ended up Foreign Sec or something - this would also assume that a 2nd referendum takes place, which yields a different outcome.
Why would you need a 2nd referendum? They are advisory only and he could argue he was given a mandate via the GE. In the event he followed Brexit through, then the type of Brexit agreement would be entirely down to the government.
Phenol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even though Farron wont get into power the Lib-dems will gain alot more seats, only because people want to hold on to that idea that Brexit can be overturned, like it or not its happened and for people to vote for this reason clearly suggests they're against democracy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (63)
36.21%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
10.34%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (11)
6.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (43)
24.71%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
13.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.62%

Watched Threads