Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Rups are you me!?

I also applied for Richmond Park and got allocated Oak house + I'm also doing Philosophy!

ReputationRep:
    lol!!!
    wow really? that is freaky!!!
    have u got the flat number and stuff? i havent, still aint got any of my stuff!
    so how comes u chose philosophy? i did philosophy of religion as part of RS at A-level and realised i loved it.
    i think we shud complain.....us philosophers shud so have got richmond park!
    oak house wasnt even one of my three choices!!

ReputationRep:
    Also at Oak House (Chestnut - name's a big poncy!) Doing Law. Really looking forward to seeing my glorious box-room which I will call home for a year!

ReputationRep:
    Oh by the way I'm a maths boy, feel free to add that on Daveo...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rups)
    lol!!!
    wow really? that is freaky!!!
    have u got the flat number and stuff? i havent, still aint got any of my stuff!
    so how comes u chose philosophy? i did philosophy of religion as part of RS at A-level and realised i loved it.
    i think we shud complain.....us philosophers shud so have got richmond park!
    oak house wasnt even one of my three choices!!
    Yeah I did Philosophy and Ethics at A-level too.
    I haven't got a clue which career I'd like to go into but wanted a degree so thouught I'd just do something I enjoyed and see where I stand in three years time.

I haven't got my flat number yet.
    I've just received the timetable and I can't beleive how little amount of time we have to attend lectures.

3 hours on monday, 5 hours on tuesday, 1 hour on wed, 1 hour on thursday. And the whole of Friday is free! I'm not complaining though..

Is this normal? I really expected to be at lectures for a lot longer than this. Or have I misunderstood something?

ReputationRep:
    Katie - Oak House (Sycamore court) - Maths and English

ReputationRep:
    heya,
    nah i expected only 6 hours a week, but dont forget whatever other module u choose (worth either 20 credits for one module or 10 credits for two) will add another hour worth of lectures, so thats 7 hours a week.
    and then each module we take has about an hour tutorial for a week, so thatll be another 4/5 hours added on, so it will be 12 hours a week or something around that.
    I still hope fridays will be off tho, cos that wud be handy!!!

I didnt do ethics, i did philosophy of religion and hinduism (but im hindu so i was well happy with that!) It was really interesting!
    I did a lot of extra reading tho, and ive already got Descartes meditations, Blackburn's think and introduction to logic, all on the recommended reading list (not that ive actually picked em up and read em....but hey thats not the point!!!)

Im probs gna go into law afterwards, but thats ages away!

Im so annoyed i havent got any info on accommodation yet, i shudve got it on friday according to the guy on the phone, so i hope i get it on tuesday!

Are u in sycamore court? or dyu know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_manc)
    W/ Oak House that means that there a toilet n bath/shower upstairs n toilet n shower downstairs...the girls get the better deal in the mixed flats coz they alwyz upstairs!
    why? r the floors seprate for girls and guys even though they r mixed sex? what abt dalton-ellis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soccercrazygal)
    why? r the floors seprate for girls and guys even though they r mixed sex? what abt dalton-ellis?
    Girls are not allowed on the bottom floor, this is also the case in Richmond Park where the all male flats are all on the bottom floor due to security reasons.

ReputationRep:
    IBFE and at Richmond Park
    Sounds like I'm the only IBFE person in fallowfield!

ReputationRep:
    meaning girls are not allowed to sleep on the bottom floor?
    cos the kitchen and sitting room etc is on bottom floor right? so girls are allowed there yeh?
    i better be stuck with some fit guys (oh what a shame that wud be! *smiles*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rups)
    meaning girls are not allowed to sleep on the bottom floor?
    cos the kitchen and sitting room etc is on bottom floor right? so girls are allowed there yeh?
    i better be stuck with some fit guys (oh what a shame that wud be! *smiles*)
    Yeha sorry, girls are allowed on the bottom floor obviously, however they will not be given a room on the bottom floor to sleep in as they a vulnerable to people breaking in apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rups)
    heya,
    nah i expected only 6 hours a week, but dont forget whatever other module u choose (worth either 20 credits for one module or 10 credits for two) will add another hour worth of lectures, so thats 7 hours a week.
    and then each module we take has about an hour tutorial for a week, so thatll be another 4/5 hours added on, so it will be 12 hours a week or something around that.
    I still hope fridays will be off tho, cos that wud be handy!!!

I didnt do ethics, i did philosophy of religion and hinduism (but im hindu so i was well happy with that!) It was really interesting!
    I did a lot of extra reading tho, and ive already got Descartes meditations, Blackburn's think and introduction to logic, all on the recommended reading list (not that ive actually picked em up and read em....but hey thats not the point!!!)

Im probs gna go into law afterwards, but thats ages away!

Im so annoyed i havent got any info on accommodation yet, i shudve got it on friday according to the guy on the phone, so i hope i get it on tuesday!

Are u in sycamore court? or dyu know?
    I still haven't received the accomodation pack so I'm not sure where exactly in Oak house. I didn't realise we'd get that extra six hours but 12 hours/week is more like what I was expecting. Fridays off would be great but I doubt we'll be that lucky. I'll try and do some extra reading but I don't think I'll be doing too much. Yea I've heard you can do a one years law course after finishing Philosophy but I think I'll wait and see. Maybe I'll discover the meaning of life in the next three years and never need to get a job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nufctillidie)
    I still haven't received the accomodation pack so I'm not sure where exactly in Oak house. I didn't realise we'd get that extra six hours but 12 hours/week is more like what I was expecting. Fridays off would be great but I doubt we'll be that lucky. I'll try and do some extra reading but I don't think I'll be doing too much. Yea I've heard you can do a one years law course after finishing Philosophy but I think I'll wait and see. Maybe I'll discover the meaning of life in the next three years and never need to get a job!
    lol!!! maybe indeed...i think ill join u on that one!!!
    let me know when u get ur accommodation pack, ive yet to receive mine either, very fustrating!!!
    i was all set for doing extra reading...but now its only 3 weeks ive got to sort out what to take, me and my sis share a room and a lot of clothes/shoes/bags so ive got to buy loadsa stuff and we have to sit down and sort out what i can take, its gna take ages!!!

its well weird we're in exactly the same situation, just think, in a months time we'll be in lectures 2gether....how freaky!

also Daveo -thanks for clearing that up, i got baffled! and yay.....guys can handle the bullys while us girls run around screaming! sounds perfect to me!

ReputationRep:
    hey all

i am chris and am going to be in allen hall. i am gonna stuy pharmacy. message me if u r in allen hall or pharmacy!

chris x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoogyMan)
    IBFE and at Richmond Park
    Sounds like I'm the only IBFE person in fallowfield!
    No you're not, I'm doin IBFE and will be at Woolton Hall I think [email protected] is in Fallowfield too!

ReputationRep:
    i'm in Hulme Hall doing BA Econ

Trav

ReputationRep:
    My sister was in Hulme Hall in her first year, she liked it enough but am told the food is awful!

I am in Canterbury Court doing Chemical Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i heard the food is prety terrible but there you go, although for the price you'd expect better. looks really good otherwise

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked around? It's nothing like the pictures so don't expect that, it's mainly 1960s buildings but there's nothing wrong with that, just not what you would think if you just saw the booklet. TBH, I have only been there 3 times in my life when helping my sister in her first year moving in etc. It's nice enough and she enjoyed it and she said best part of dinner was laughing at the food lol. You also have a few formal meals a week in your gown I think.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.