The Student Room Group

Don't lose hope!

Would just like to tell my story to give students and graduates out there hope to never stop trying and grinding to get what you want.

I've always been an average student. Got average GCSE grades, 9 A-Cs, majority Bs. My A levels weren't great either, got BCC. I ended up going to a fairly decent mid table university, alright but nothing special, studying Business and Management. Had a great time out there and I applied to a couple of MSc courses during third year, which required a 2:1 to enrol. I was however thrown a massive spanner to my graduate career when I found out I was graduating with 2:2, 1% off a 2:1. I was devastated. I didn't really know what to do, and I was told by nearly everyone that this was going to derail me.

I rang up the universities that I applied for and they assessed my application, and somehow I got accepted on to my chosen MSc course at a Russell Group university due to me being so close to a 2:1. This was a step in the right direction. However, upon applying to graduate schemes, I was shown that many of them required a 2:1 which really did hurt my confidence.

Then came February and my friend, who got onto an internship at Deloitte, was telling me that some of the big four financial service firms may not decline me instantly with a 2:2, and may consider me. I knew that only top academics work at the big four, students with straight As, with 2:1s and 1sts from top universities. Although I had my Masters, I didn't think I could even challenge other candidates. But I thought let me try.

Long story short, I'm sitting here with a graduate offer at one of the biggest financial services firms in the world, with a starting salary of £32k. The moral of the story is don't let anything destroy your confidence in thinking that you can't achieve something because you haven't got a certain grade, or you're not 'smart' enough. If you want something bad, do your all and get it. If you've made mistakes in the past and you haven't achieved what you perhaps could have, you're still young, make the most of what you've got because trust me, shocking people with your achievements is the best feeling in life.

Sorry for the long story, thought it'd help some people out there with the same fears I had previously. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel guys!
(edited 7 years ago)
Crying rn

Soooooo motivating !!!!

I shall just quit school and hope something good happens to me!!

Thanks man such gr8 advice and was very moving!
You just gave an aspiring doctor confidence to still persue medicine even though I feel like I'm so stupid :smile:
Reply 3
Spot on, and well done!
Reply 4
Original post by ParisOMg
You just gave an aspiring doctor confidence to still persue medicine even though I feel like I'm so stupid :smile:

Pursue*
Reply 5
Great advice!!!
Original post by modd122
Would just like to tell my story to give students and graduates out there hope to never stop trying and grinding to get what you want.

I've always been an average student. Got average GCSE grades, 9 A-Cs, majority Bs. My A levels weren't great either, got BCC. I ended up going to a fairly decent mid table university, alright but nothing special, studying Business and Management. Had a great time out there and I applied to a couple of MSc courses during third year, which required a 2:1 to enrol. I was however thrown a massive spanner to my graduate career when I found out I was graduating with 2:2, 1% off a 2:1. I was devastated. I didn't really know what to do, and I was told by nearly everyone that this was going to derail me.

I rang up the universities that I applied for and they assessed my application, and somehow I got accepted on to my chosen MSc course at a Russell Group university due to me being so close to a 2:1. This was a step in the right direction. However, upon applying to graduate schemes, I was shown that many of them required a 2:1 which really did hurt my confidence.

Then came February and my friend, who got onto an internship at Deloitte, was telling me that some of the big four financial service firms may not decline me instantly with a 2:2, and may consider me. I knew that only top academics work at the big four, students with straight As, with 2:1s and 1sts from top universities. Although I had my Masters, I didn't think I could even challenge other candidates. But I thought let me try.

Long story short, I'm sitting here with a graduate offer at one of the biggest financial services firms in the world, with a starting salary of £32k. The moral of the story is don't let anything destroy your confidence in thinking that you can't achieve something because you haven't got a certain grade, or you're not 'smart' enough. If you want something bad, do your all and get it. If you've made mistakes in the past and you haven't achieved what you perhaps could have, you're still young, make the most of what you've got because trust me, shocking people with your achievements is the best feeling in life.

Sorry for the long story, thought it'd help some people out there with the same fears I had previously. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel guys!

thanks for the motivation but you were already in a good position..

i failed a levels, go to a bad university and i might get a third...

so yeah mate you were already set up for success, not a surprise
Reply 7
wonderful....always hope for best
Original post by David B
Pursue*

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by ParisOMg

I'm glad! Keep going and you'll get there!
Reply 10
I don't think so that average student can get BCC in A levels .....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending