Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Gaming PCs?

ReputationRep:
    i have been looking into getting a decent gaming PC for a few years now but I don't really know all that much about them. for years i have been a console gamer and pretty happy with it. but i want to take the leap to better gaming.

i want something that can run modern triple A games with ease.

i have an ok HD monitor and i will need to get a decent keyboard but i can do that myself.

my budget is about £1.5k with an upper limit of £2k if i really have to.

this one looks pretty decent, but i'm no expert

any advice would be useful, thanks people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    i have been looking into getting a decent gaming PC for a few years now but I don't really know all that much about them. for years i have been a console gamer and pretty happy with it. but i want to take the leap to better gaming.

i want something that can run modern triple A games with ease.

i have an ok HD monitor and i will need to get a decent keyboard but i can do that myself.

my budget is about £1.5k with an upper limit of £2k if i really have to.

this one looks pretty decent, but i'm no expert

any advice would be useful, thanks people
    Goood Morninggggg,

I know alot of people (us nerds :P) could go on about PC builds endlessly but it all comes down to personal preference and budget. I would definitely say that if you are going to have a budget of £1500 then I would invest in a little more for an i7 processor (and especially if you dont want to upgrade too soon into the future, futureproofing is important) also you may want to include an optical drive (CDs can always come in handy).
    Took me a good few months thinking about my old beast xD

But, we can talk more in depth you want more details, Just give me a shout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    Goood Morninggggg,

I know alot of people (us nerds :P) could go on about PC builds endlessly but it all comes down to personal preference and budget. I would definitely say that if you are going to have a budget of £1500 then I would invest in a little more for an i7 processor (and especially if you dont want to upgrade too soon into the future, futureproofing is important) also you may want to include an optical drive (CDs can always come in handy).

Good morning to you too :wavey:

well i know i need an NVIDIA 1080 at the very least, i will probably go for a pre built option because i really don't have the time to build my own or the know how.

i understand specs, im not completely useless, i fix my own laptops when they break (sometimes with blutac, but it works).

what specs would you recommend that doesn't break the bank?

ReputationRep:
    Good morning to you too :wavey:

well i know i need an NVIDIA 1080 at the very least, i will probably go for a pre built option because i really don't have the time to build my own or the know how.

i understand specs, im not completely useless, i fix my own laptops when they break (sometimes with blutac, but it works).

what specs would you recommend that doesn't break the bank?
    Is it just gaming you want to do? or do you do any media? (I do some video and graphical stuff so I need the extra power xD)
    Yeah prebuilt is fine (abit dearer tho hey ho).
    The PC you linked is absolutely fine, all the parts of top tier for high end gaming (and futureproof).
    If you just want to play the latest games at good performance, then this sort of PC is great. Just didn't know if there is anything else in your requirements

ReputationRep:
    Is it just gaming you want to do? or do you do any media? (I do some video and graphical stuff so I need the extra power xD)
    Yeah prebuilt is fine (abit dearer for hey ho).
    The PC you linked is absolutely fine, all the parts of top tier for high end gaming (and futureproof).
    If you just want to play the latest games at good performance, then this sort of PC is great. Just didn't know if there is anything else in your requirements
    just gaming, i have an iMac 4K retina at work for any graphical needs not that i actually do much of it, mostly google sketchup which isn't graphics heavy mostly.

well it seems i will buy that one then once i have saved the money, so hopefully by the end of june if all goes well. it is also customisable so i had add any extra gubbins if need be, like fancy thermal paste

thanks for your help and expert knowledge :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    just gaming, i have an iMac 4K retina at work for any graphical needs not that i actually do much of it, mostly google sketchup which isn't graphics heavy mostly.

well it seems i will buy that one then once i have saved the money, so hopefully by the end of june if all goes well. it is also customisable so i had add any extra gubbins if need be, like fancy thermal paste

thanks for your help and expert knowledge :ahee:
    Yessssss, buy it!

If you bought that one, you wouldn't have any regrets (chillblast is legit i know alot of people with them) plus it's very simple and warranty and support is great with no hassle
    It will be very good for a long time
    When I got my first gaming desktop from years of playing on laptops (10-30fps at low/med settings), like omggggg I was the biggest kid ever xD

ReputationRep:
    Yessssss, buy it!

If you bought that one, you wouldn't have any regrets (chillblast is legit i know alot of people with them) plus it's very simple and warranty and support is great with no hassle
    It will be very good for a long time
    When I got my first gaming desktop from years of playing on laptops (10-30fps at low/med settings), like omggggg I was the biggest kid ever xD
    dw i defo will, but first i need a spare bit of cash so i should probably get some work done today

hassle is the last thing i need
    i already have a sexy af corsair m95 mouse which i was given by someone who didn't want it so i just need a corsair keyboard as well.
    i normally play xbone and some low requirement games like rimworld on my laptop, but there are some many more pc games and i want to play mouse and keyboard again :excited:

ReputationRep:
    The computer you are looking at is great! It can run any game on high/ultra. It would have been perfect if it came with an I7 though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steljoy)
    The computer you are looking at is great! It can run any game on high/ultra. It would have been perfect if it came with a I7 though
    You can customise on that website and slip in an I7 for an extra £150ish, but there are pros and cons. It's great for multi processing (for media mainly) and some of the latest games but the downside is that it's abit more expensive and runs at a higher temperature so its alot more hassle to make it run efficiently.
    Tbh I would just stick with the I5-7600K it's the best of it's kind and for just gaming it's perfect

And again if you need CD's remember to add an optical drive on the website :P

ReputationRep:
    You can customise on that website and slip in an I7 for an extra £150ish, but there are pros and cons. It's great for multi processing (for media mainly) and some of the latest games but the downside is that it's abit more expensive and runs at a higher temperature so its alot more hassle to make it run efficiently.
    Tbh I would just stick with the I5-7600K it's the best of it's kind and for just gaming it's perfect

Yeah that is true, running an I7 is more costly cause you need cooling systems, more PSU power and the CPU costs more itself. I5 is sufficient enough for now

Hahaha who uses CD's these days man? What happened to Blueray or DVD :curious:?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't used a disc for many years now, they are pretty redundant when you have steam and origin (for C&C) plus every movie ever made streamed completely free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steljoy)
    Yeah that is true, running an I7 is more costly cause you need cooling systems, more PSU power and the CPU costs more itself. I5 is sufficient enough for now

Hahaha who uses CD's these days man? What happened to Blueray or DVD :curious:?
    Ahaha ikr, idk some people might xD
    I don't want the PC to arrive and just confusion as she cant find the right hole to put the CD in:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Goood Morninggggg,

Even if you have the money why would you buy an i7 just for gaming? There are much quicker ways to burn your money if that is the only goal xd

ReputationRep:
    I haven't used a disc for many years now, they are pretty redundant when you have steam and origin (for C&C) plus every movie ever made streamed completely free.
    Steam has ruined my life...I mean ruined my wallet:cry2::cry2::cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha ikr, idk some people might xD
    I don't want the PC to arrive and just confusion as she cant find the right hole to put the CD in:ahee:
    where do i put the 5¼-inch floppy? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DogeOfDisaproval)
    Even if you have the money why would you buy an i7 just for gaming? There are much quicker ways to burn your money if that is the only goal xd
    You don't have to, but with spending loads more money on cooling and power the I7 would put up a better performance, but yes youre right it's a huge waste if you are tight on the moneys lol

ReputationRep:
    where do i put the 5¼-inch floppy? :sexface:
    Pfft you don't need a floppy, you're gonna need a 'hard' drive:sexface::mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Pfft you don't need a floppy, you're gonna need a 'hard' drive:sexface::mmm:
    I prefer it solid :sexface:

better lasting performance.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind building it, I can edit this post and put one later as I don't have the patience to do it on mobile atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravence)
    If you don't mind building it, I can edit this post and put one later as I don't have the patience to do it on mobile atm
    I'm don't really have the time to build one nor the know how. thanks for asking though

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: April 22, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.