University of Leicester Watch

This discussion is closed.
Elle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What do you think of it? You can be general or specific.. I just want some views. Thanks
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's good (apparantly). Not sure about De Montford though!
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
It's good (apparantly). Not sure about De Montford though!
Friend of mine (ex-student) is there doing Archeology - loves it. Found it hard to settle at first but now is really enjoying herself and looking forward to living out of halls next year. Its not a bad uni at all!
Elle
Rep:
?
How about the city in general? Coming from London I don't think I'd be happy somewhere "country-ish" (sorry I could think of a better word!)
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
How about the city in general? Coming from London I don't think I'd be happy somewhere "country-ish" (sorry I could think of a better word!)
I think it's a reasonable size! DitzyBlonde on here comes from Ashby-de-la-Zouch (close to Leicester) - why not send her a pm?
Chubb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I had Leicester as my back up. The campus is nice and the surrounding area is also nice. From what I can remember the city centre wasn't very far away either and no Leicester is not countryish. I was only put of in the end because of the lack of computing facilities (which is very important when studying Computer Science) compared to other universities (though it may be a bit unfair since I'm comparing it to Birmingham where they have just spent millions on a new computer science building). The university though is generaly very well respected and they have a good reputation for reaserch.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
What do you think of it? You can be general or specific.. I just want some views. Thanks
I had Leicester as my insurance for Law. The place itself I odn't know, its supposed to be like an ex-coal miners place, with a lot of old buildings. Though there are some decent clubs/places.

If you are planning on doing law there, its as good as Sheffields, its on par and really excellent, the teaching standard is very high.

Regards, Peter.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Leicester Uni- highly underrated uni..esp for law. Most people i know haven't even heard of of Leicester uni...but it does well in the league tables and i thought i was a lovely uni when i went up there to visit it. Nice campus....the city is a decent size as well. For sport lovers- Leicester Tigers and the Walker Stadium

If you're going there..well done...it's a very good uni and i'm sure you'll love it!

G
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Leicester Uni- highly underrated uni..esp for law. Most people i know haven't even heard of of Leicester uni...but it does well in the league tables and i thought i was a lovely uni when i went up there to visit it. Nice campus....the city is a decent size as well. For sport lovers- Leicester Tigers and the Walker Stadium

If you're going there..well done...it's a very good uni and i'm sure you'll love it!

G
Yeah, all the customers I get coming through the door, keep telling me their mates have completed their law degree and practicing in America/England and making mega bucks, lol. I think I should change now.
Elle
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info guys.. I visited it and I was pretty impressed, especially with the campus. Apparently they've just built a new computer suite on there, though I didn't get to see it. Still trying to decide whether to go or not..
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hiya, I'm from Leicester, so here's my biased view !

Leicester is a pretty student-orientated city, as it's medium sized and has two universities! Leicester Uni is in the nicer part of Leicester which is a plus, tho most of the City is pretty nice. It's not countrysidish but neither is it too busy like some of the bigger cities. Lots of bars, a few clubs which are mostly frequented by students which is a plus I guess. As for people, it's a very multicultural City - high Asian and Black population which gives the City a nice cosmopolitan feel to it; nice to venture into some of these areas! And it's pretty sporty, well not so much nowadays lol (another plus is Leicester City )!

Elle
Rep:
?
Thanks pk, I heard it's very multicultural which I'm cool with, but I hope that doesn't mean that people group off based on their race. Do they? To be honest, when I went, it didn't really seem like it was :confused: do you know anything about the indie/rock scene in leicester? or if there even is one? Thanks
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Thanks pk, I heard it's very multicultural which I'm cool with, but I hope that doesn't mean that people group off based on their race. Do they? To be honest, when I went, it didn't really seem like it was :confused: do you know anything about the indie/rock scene in leicester? or if there even is one? Thanks
I'm not sure it's like at the uni, but from personal experience it depends on individuals whether they form groups or not . As for the indie-rock scene, not sure, but I know of at least one club that's dedicated to it!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed