The Student Room Group

April 26th: What’s your experience of online bullying?

What’s your experience of online bullying?

It’s something that one in four teenagers go through (according to a survey for the UK Safer Internet Centre in 2015) and it’s not okay. On The Surgery this week, Gemma and Dr Radha discuss what makes the haters hate and what you can do to stop them.

How can you protect yourself on social media?

How do haters make you feel?

How do we stop the bullies?

Share your experiences and tune in to Radio 1 on Wednesday 26th April to get support and advice on tackling hate online.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

Scroll to see replies

The only way you can block out the haters is by actually blocking them.. They are just people with too much time on their hands who seek peace of mind from abusing others online maybe to cover up their own insecurities or just to make themselves look "big".

Honestly I have been through tonds of online harrassment (mainly racism) through facebook pages and instagram comments and I have seen my close friends beeing slut shamed and fat shamed over silly rumors that haters make up and it makes you feel so low, it really breaks down your self esteem. Making your profiles private is always a good step forward to filter out the hate.

To stop these bullies we have to report them online and stay together as a strong group so that they get the idea never to repeat such behaviour. Social media is a great thing! but unfortunately so any people abuse it and this ruins it for everyone.
Original post by Aloneinthedark
The only way you can block out the haters is by actually blocking them.. They are just people with too much time on their hands who seek peace of mind from abusing others online maybe to cover up their own insecurities or just to make themselves look "big".

Honestly I have been through tonds of online harrassment (mainly racism) through facebook pages and instagram comments and I have seen my close friends beeing slut shamed and fat shamed over silly rumors that haters make up and it makes you feel so low, it really breaks down your self esteem. Making your profiles private is always a good step forward to filter out the hate.

To stop these bullies we have to report them online and stay together as a strong group so that they get the idea never to repeat such behaviour. Social media is a great thing! but unfortunately so any people abuse it and this ruins it for everyone.

Completely agree with you. For some odd reason, I cannot seem to find any satisfaction interacting kindly with other Internet users. Mind you, I don't have any problem being civil in real life, but most of the interesting conversations that I had and read were inflammatory. The emotions and feelings from arguments mixed with the casual insult is intoxicating, like a drug.
Original post by Aloneinthedark

There is one human race. What don't people get? Tskk
I won't go into details about online bullying I've experienced but in summary, I've been the victim and there's always two sides to the story, the bully and the victim. I find a lot of people use the block function and then they are free to make up lies about their side of the story and make them the victim when the other side is powerless. Cyber bullying comes in several forms, but often I've found that victims usually pin their own issues onto those that are supposedly bullying them and create far more complex issues than the one they began with.

It's fine to discuss your cyber bullying but when you evidently fabricate claims to make yourself the victim or make the situation worse than it is; then evidently you have issues. If you are being bullied, there is no need to drag your bullies down with you and resort to such horrifying tactics by name calling and being petty as you are just as bad as them or if not more so.

If you are being bullied, either block or just move on, no need to make it so sensational at all. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Reply 5
Some lads I know put an entire website up dedicated to :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ging me off when I was about 12, that would be 18 years or so ago now, when expage was still a thing. It was crap at the time and I felt properly wrecked but we all got over it and now we're good mates.

Other than that, my bullying happened in person, and largely stopped when I started cracking people on the chin.
What do people consider bullying online? I wouldn't consider a one off insult bullying however a lot of others do. I would say continuous harassment would be online bullying. for example how some users create new accounts to keep attacking people after being blocked or banned.
Original post by gjd800
Some lads I know put an entire website up dedicated to :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ging me off when I was about 12, that would be 18 years or so ago now, when expage was still a thing. It was crap at the time and I felt properly wrecked but we all got over it and now we're good mates.

Other than that, my bullying happened in person, and largely stopped when I started cracking people on the chin.

lol thats crazy. At the age of 12 as well lmao. Whats wrong with people?!?!?!

Cracking people on the chin worked for me too haha.
Reply 8
Someone said "I was always messing around" which I found to be an insulting violation of my personal liberty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol thats crazy. At the age of 12 as well lmao. Whats wrong with people?!?!?!

Cracking people on the chin worked for me too haha.

Yeah, it was weird/horrible but we got past it relatively quickly.
On Facebook, on a group I was a member of just because I asked a question about what year something opened. (It was a group about the town history).
If you've an issue with a specific member/their conduct, complain in Ask a CT, not by derailing this thread and causing an argument in public, thanks.
Never really experienced any other than on here from mods and the CT. :frown:
Original post by MrDystopia
If you've an issue with a specific member/their conduct, complain in Ask a CT, not by derailing this thread and causing an argument in public, thanks.

Not sure brushing it under the carpet helps.
Original post by yeled ez
Not sure brushing it under the carpet helps.

Complaining in the manner in which you have always been told to do so is, by definition, not brushing it under the carpet. You're able to express your views, whatever they are, completely to the CT. Better that than publicly creating a mess.
Complaining in the manner in which you have always been told to do so is, by definition, not brushing it under the carpet.

Nah, sorry that's nonsense.

You're able to express your views, whatever they are, completely to the CT. Better that than publicly creating a mess.

Sure better for TSR group, it's users, not so much.
Original post by yeled ez
Nah, sorry that's nonsense.

Sure better for TSR group, it's users, not so much.

Be that as it may, that's the protocol you follow, and so we'll have to agree to disagree there. Either way, let's drop it now, so as to not further detract from the thread.
Be that as it may, that's the protocol you follow, and so we'll have to agree to disagree there. Either way, let's drop it now, so as to not further detract from the thread.

Fair enough, sorry for the distraction, carry on with your discussion on bullying as long as it has nothing to do with TSR.
Reply 18
I was only ever bullied in person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I have received tons of hate comments on Youtube and really Cyberbullying is very easy to deal with than Physical bullying, just block them and they won't harrass you anymore or report them
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending