Travel Expenses – and a few other questions

Watch
WouldLikeToKnow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am off to study for a full time Msc this year – I have autism and a physical disability which means that I have problem walking. I am in receipt of the full rate for mobility – although I am awaiting a dreaded PIP assessment at some point. I am a mature student in my 50s if that has any relevance.

I have a few questions, assuming that I would be accepted for the Disabled Students Allowance.

1.) I understand that DSA will pay the difference me using public transport and using my own private car – is that the case? – Should say that I have problems using public transport due to both autism and my mobility.

The question is where from? – From home to the university is around trip of 300 miles and I will have to stay for around 10 weeks at the university periodically over several months. Will they pay the difference between public transport and using my car for these trips from home or will they only look at this for trips between university and where I stay locally for each week I am attending?

2.) I have a NHS diagnosis of Autism – and letters from my consultant regarding my mobility – what I do not have is any evidence of my dyslexia or my other learning difficulties – will my Autism diagnose out trump dyslexia or do I need some supporting evidence of dyslexia – will it bring any extra help?

3.) Would I expect to get help for note taking in lectures, etc?

As you can imagine this is all very daunting as I have never been away on my own, etc.

Thanks in advance
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WouldLikeToKnow)
I have a few questions, assuming that I would be accepted for the Disabled Students Allowance.
Firstly, you will have an individual DSA assessment with a professional in the field. What you are entitled to will be tailored to your specific individual requirements, so make sure that you discuss all of the issues below during your assessment - take a list of topics with you if you want to. The exact details of what you get, will depend on what the assessor specifies. Be assured that the assessment is actually a very positive experience. My assessor was very clued-up and thought of potential issues - and resolutions - which hadn't occurred to me. They will be open to you needing to discuss your concerns, but beware of coming with a list of requirements - they may be able to suggest more appropriate and helpful solutions.

1.) I understand that DSA will pay the difference me using public transport and using my own private car – is that the case? – Should say that I have problems using public transport due to both autism and my mobility.
It will more usually be the difference between the cost of public transport and a taxi. You pay the fares, then submit the receipts and get the cost difference refunded. I haven't heard of DSA funding mileage/expenses for a personal car, as it would be very difficult to provide evidence for the cost refund.

The question is where from? – From home to the university is around trip of 300 miles and I will have to stay for around 10 weeks at the university periodically over several months. Will they pay the difference between public transport and using my car for these trips from home or will they only look at this for trips between university and where I stay locally for each week I am attending?
With that length of journey, you may be expected to be dropped off/collected at the start and end of terms, by your parents. If this isn't possible talk it through with your assessor.

2.) I have a NHS diagnosis of Autism – and letters from my consultant regarding my mobility – what I do not have is any evidence of my dyslexia or my other learning difficulties – will my Autism diagnose out trump dyslexia or do I need some supporting evidence of dyslexia – will it bring any extra help?
I believe that you will need official proof of your dyslexia. One condition shouldn't trump the other, as each will need tailored solutions for particular situations. Both should be catered for under DSA.

3.) Would I expect to get help for note taking in lectures, etc?
That sort of support is pretty standard for someone wth dyslexia, yea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads