MIGHT FAIL - NEED HELP ASAP - graduating with or without an honours degree

Watch
Carmille
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, this might be alittle long or confusing so please bear with me.

Im a 3rd year Business and Management student at DeMont Fort university. For the first 2 years of my degree i was studying Business Management and Economics however i failed (really badly ) a core module from the economic side in my second year but i was able to progress into third year carrying a fail. This made me decide to drop Economics as it was dropping my grades down significantly hence why i only study business and management in my final year which i really love.

So i was told i could progress onto third year carrying a fail from the Economics module and i would have to resit the exam this summer. My exam is in 1 week and hate this module soo much and i feel like i cant pass it. im doing great in all my modules this year 60%+ in all my modules.

I just wanted to know what happens if i fail that module again. I read i might not get an honours degree because i havent reached the 360 credits i only have 330 but im also above the amount you need for a non-honours degree which is 300?
I am really freaking out as i dont know what will happen and dont have anyone to turn to. I've emailed the uni but havent heard anything back yet

I appreciate all the help i can get thank you!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Carmille)

Im a 3rd year Business and Management student at DeMont Fort university. For the first 2 years of my degree i was studying Business Management and Economics however i failed (really badly ) a core module from the economic side in my second year but i was able to progress into third year carrying a fail. This made me decide to drop Economics as it was dropping my grades down significantly hence why i only study business and management in my final year which i really love.

So i was told i could progress onto third year carrying a fail from the Economics module and i would have to resit the exam this summer. My exam is in 1 week and hate this module soo much and i feel like i cant pass it. im doing great in all my modules this year 60%+ in all my modules.

I just wanted to know what happens if i fail that module again. I read i might not get an honours degree because i havent reached the 360 credits i only have 330 but im also above the amount you need for a non-honours degree which is 300?
I am really freaking out as i dont know what will happen and dont have anyone to turn to. I've emailed the uni but havent heard anything back yet

If you don't get enough credits for an honours degree, you may be allowed to graduate with an 'Ordinary' degree - that is, non-honours. However, these really aren't very useful (the vast majority of employers would be looking for 2i honours) so you want to do everything you can to avoid this.
Carmille
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
If you don't get enough credits for an honours degree, you may be allowed to graduate with an 'Ordinary' degree - that is, non-honours. However, these really aren't very useful (the vast majority of employers would be looking for 2i honours) so you want to do everything you can to avoid this.
Thank you for your reply i really appreciate that, i will definitely try my best!
Carmille
Rep:
?
Hello,
I appreciate you replying back to me and just wanted to give you an update.

Its July now and i've received my results last week I GOT A 2:1 Honours overall and i passed that economics exam i was stressing about!!!!, i am so happy and over the moon the amount i have been stressing the last couple of week is unimaginable but im so happy its finally over.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

Its July now and i've received my results last week I GOT A 2:1 Honours overall and i passed that economics exam i was stressing about!!!!, i am so happy and over the moon the amount i have been stressing the last couple of week is unimaginable but im so happy its finally over.
:woo:

How lovely for you! And thank you so much for posting back with an update - that's very much appreciated.

Well done! I'm really pleased for you - you can have a lovely summer now, I imagine.
DMU Enquiry Team
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I'm a 3rd year Business and Management student at De MontFort university. For the first 2 years of my degree i was studying Business Management and Economics however i failed (really badly ) a core module from the economic side in my second year but i was able to progress into third year carrying a fail. This made me decide to drop Economics as it was dropping my grades down significantly hence why i only study business and management in my final year which i really love.

Here's some information regarding an Honours Degree:

The minimum requirements for an Honours Degree are as follows:

• 360 credits, of which 240 will be at levels 5 and 6, with 120 of these at level 6.

• Passes in 90 credits at each level of study.

• Compensated fails in a maximum of 30 credits at each level of study.

To be compensated for a module failure, a student must have achieved a minimum of 30% in that module and have met the progression requirements for the level.

Programmes may designate particular modules as must-pass. In must-pass modules, a student must achieve at least a pass mark of 40%. Compensation cannot apply.

Some programmes require students to achieve more than these minimum requirements for Honours Degree eligibility. Any additional programme-specific requirements are given in the programme-specific regulations register at the back of this handbook.

Please contact us on 0116 257 7000 and ask for Freddie if you would like to have a chat about this.

Freddie @DMU.
DMU Enquiry Team
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As the TSR support team, you really should know this isn't true. You can't simply make an assumption that employers will be looking for a 2.1 Honours degree.
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

Congratulations - that's amazing! Enjoy your graduation

(Original post by DMU Enquiry Team)
As the TSR support team, you really should know this isn't true. You can't simply make an assumption that employers will be looking for a 2.1 Honours degree.
I think traditionally a 2:1 has been favoured and there will be some employers that use this as an option to screen candidates (my former role was an HR Business Partner). This shouldn't be assumed though, I know 2:2 graduates who have good jobs in banking.

However, this is changing, a lot of employers including the Big 4 are now accepting applications from 2:2 graduates and using psychometric testing instead.

Given that the graduate job marketplace is increasingly so competitive, a 2:1 is always a good thing to have in your pocket And you have one which is amazing!

Jo from Capita, what do you think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.45%
I'm not sure (32)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.31%
I'm not a current university student (358)
48.64%

Watched Threads