The Student Room Group

Newcastle Applicants for 2018 entry a100 and a101

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uwotuwot
Got 775 (790, 740, 890, 680) avg, studied my UG at Newcastle and going to be applying for GEM... but I was wondering if anyone knew NCL's stance on voluntary experience? I have several weeks of shadowing but no voluntary work, I've been unable to find any definitive info on this online

Are you current UG?
Original post by alfresco_
Are you current UG?

No, I graduated this year already. Why?
Original post by xJessScott
I basically emailed them every week until they released it ahaha

Are u sure? On their website it said 2000 (666) was the threshold for undergrad and 2040 for graduate (680) :/ Now I'm not sure which is accurate.
On their website it said 2000 (666) was the threshold for undergrad and 2040 for graduate (680) :/
Original post by Curiouskcat
On their website it said 2000 (666) was the threshold for undergrad and 2040 for graduate (680) :/

Where did you find this can I ask?? I cannot find it??
IMG_2077.PNGThis was before they changed it online to include emergency interview scores they needed to conduct to make up numbers

2017 entry was a weird one. DM was being trialed and DA had been removed, meaning there was a section removed and was harder to score in the higher deciles. Newcastle initially f'd up because they set their threshold at 743 for GEM (and I think their UG was also a lil' too high), so at the end of the application cycle they had to drop their threshold to 680 for GEM (and whatever it was for UG) and hold emergency interviews to make up for their lack of candidates.
Are u sure? On their website it said 2000 (666) was the threshold for undergrad and 2040 for graduate (680) :/ Now I'm not sure which is accurate.

I emailed them again yesterday and they said it was still 700 for a100. I think the average reduced due to last minute interviews due to those who didn't get the qualifications but the original cut off for interview was 700
2017 entry was a weird one. DM was being trialed and DA had been removed, meaning there was a section removed and was harder to score in the higher deciles. Newcastle initially f'd up because they set their threshold at 743 for GEM (and I think their UG was also a lil' too high), so at the end of the application cycle they had to drop their threshold to 680 for GEM (and whatever it was for UG) and hold emergency interviews to make up for their lack of candidates.

Hopefully they don't mess up again this year, and put it a little lower to make sure they don't make the same mistakes 😂😂😂
Original post by molly.butcherx
Where did you find this can I ask?? I cannot find it??

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/schoolofmedicaleducation/files/Application%20and%20UKCAT%20data%202017.pdf
It was an attachment, pls correct me if I'm wrong :smile:
Original post by xJessScott
I emailed them again yesterday and they said it was still 700 for a100. I think the average reduced due to last minute interviews due to those who didn't get the qualifications but the original cut off for interview was 700

Ahh I see, when I saw this I called them because I was so confused due to my UKCAT being 2100 (not necessarily high :/). I thought there was a mistake
2017 entry was a weird one. DM was being trialed and DA had been removed, meaning there was a section removed and was harder to score in the higher deciles. Newcastle initially f'd up because they set their threshold at 743 for GEM (and I think their UG was also a lil' too high), so at tmy he end of the application cycle they had to drop their threshold to 680 for GEM (and whatever it was for UG) and hold emergency interviews to make up for their lack of candidates.

Ohh 😂😂 well I hope they don't do that again
Btw is it too risky to apply for the graduate course with a UKCAT score of 737.5 (Band 2) or should I play it safer and apply for the 5 year course
Reply 93
Btw is it too risky to apply for the graduate course with a UKCAT score of 737.5 (Band 2) or should I play it safer and apply for the 5 year course

I've got the same as you and I'm not completely sure whether to apply for graduate entry either. I might risk it though because I can't really afford the 5 year.
Original post by em2018
I've got the same as you and I'm not completely sure whether to apply for graduate entry either. I might risk it though because I can't really afford the 5 year.

I might also end up risking it and then do undergraduate entry for the rest. What other unis are u thinking of applying to?
Reply 95
I might also end up risking it and then do undergraduate entry for the rest. What other unis are u thinking of applying to?

I think Warwick, Southampton and Birmingham. What about you?
Original post by em2018
I think Warwick, Southampton and Birmingham. What about you?

I think I will probably apply to Southampton, Sheffield and UCL

Original post by em2018

You should both be okay with 737 for GEM, I'd say go for it!

Historically the cut off for NCL's A101 has always been 727.5 and below, there were only 2 years that wasn't the case during a 6 year period (2011 - 2017). The two years with the higher entrances were due to a higher UKCAT average and due to an overestimation by Newcastle (which they remedied by holding emergency interviews).
Reply 98
You should both be okay with 737 for GEM, I'd say go for it!

Historically the cut off for NCL's A101 has always been 727.5 and below, there were only 2 years that wasn't the case during a 6 year period (2011 - 2017). The two years with the higher entrances were due to a higher UKCAT average and due to an overestimation by Newcastle (which they remedied by holding emergency interviews).

Fingers crossed it’ll be fine then! Are you applying?
Original post by em2018
Fingers crossed it’ll be fine then! Are you applying?

I'm sure it will be, this year had a very similar average to the 2015 end of testing (2016 entry). NCL's A101 threshold for that year was 720 so we should be good!

Yes definitely, I somehow pulled 775 out of the bag and NCL would be my first choice so fingers crossed wooo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending