Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 11 doing my IGCSEs in just under a months time and I'm not sure exactly what I want to do in the future. For A-levels, I'm taking Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I'm aiming for a mixture of A*s, As and Bs for my IGCSEs. I know I want to go into something science based but I don't really know what I want to do in particular. I was thinking maybe Dentistry/ Medicine but I'm not good with Stress. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in Year 11 and have chosen the same A levels as you! I too have been wondering what to do in the future but I don't think there is really any need to decide yet. There are so many science based jobs you won't have a problem finding one that you want to do eventually, especially as there will be lots of time to think about it while you are at university.
    Rather than medicine or dentistry, I was thinking of working at a research facility (don't know anywhere specific); maybe working with microorganisms and looking for cures for diseases. I also think neuroscience would be interesting, or marine biology. However, stress is not a good reason not to choose medicine or dentistry. There are lots of medicine-related jobs that are not stressful, such as working at a GP or any hospital where you diagnose illness. The only stressful job would be a surgeon.
    With biology and chemistry you could do biochemistry. There are some job ideas here. In fact, just search science jobs and there are lots of lists. I don't know why you're asking on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exotoxin)
    I'm also in Year 11 and have chosen the same A levels as you! I too have been wondering what to do in the future but I don't think there is really any need to decide yet. There are so many science based jobs you won't have a problem finding one that you want to do eventually, especially as there will be lots of time to think about it while you are at university.
    Rather than medicine or dentistry, I was thinking of working at a research facility (don't know anywhere specific); maybe working with microorganisms and looking for cures for diseases. I also think neuroscience would be interesting, or marine biology. However, stress is not a good reason not to choose medicine or dentistry. There are lots of medicine-related jobs that are not stressful, such as working at a GP or any hospital where you diagnose illness. The only stressful job would be a surgeon.
    With biology and chemistry you could do biochemistry. There are some job ideas here. In fact, just search science jobs and there are lots of lists. I don't know why you're asking on TSR.
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I'm interested in the exact same things as you which is cool, especially the marine biology. Biology is probably my favourite of the sciences. I know stress isn't a good excuse but My dad is a GP so I know how it is. My dad gets into work at around 5.30 to 6.00am and on average gets back around 8 pm. Sometimes he barely sleeps and only has a few weeks of holiday per year. It really is a stressful job and the same goes for dentistry (my cousin is a dentist). I'll have a look into the suggestions though. Thanks!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.