sapphiremendes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone know what questions came up in last year's paper for shostakovich? Or have a prediction of which movements might come up this year?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
georgialennon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sapphiremendes)
Does anyone know what questions came up in last year's paper for shostakovich? Or have a prediction of which movements might come up this year?
The questions on the 2016 paper regarding Shostakovich are as follows:

Q1. The first movement introduces various themes with strongly contrasting characters. Write an essay explaining how these themes are treated in the passage from bar 120 to bar 252.
You should refer to melody, harmony/tonality, rhythm, texture and use of instruments.

Q2. ‘Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony is both a part of the symphonic tradition and a deeply personal and original work.’
Write an essay discussing this view. In your essay, you should refer in detail to at least two contrasting passages from the work.

I am studying Elgar's Symphony No.1 so I can't offer any guidance on predicted questions for the 2017 paper. Looking at the movements that have already made an appearance may provide some framework, however.

Hope this helps
nkhapsalis
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by georgialennon)
The questions on the 2016 paper regarding Shostakovich are as follows:

Q1. The first movement introduces various themes with strongly contrasting characters. Write an essay explaining how these themes are treated in the passage from bar 120 to bar 252.
You should refer to melody, harmony/tonality, rhythm, texture and use of instruments.

Q2. ‘Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony is both a part of the symphonic tradition and a deeply personal and original work.’
Write an essay discussing this view. In your essay, you should refer in detail to at least two contrasting passages from the work.

I am studying Elgar's Symphony No.1 so I can't offer any guidance on predicted questions for the 2017 paper. Looking at the movements that have already made an appearance may provide some framework, however.

Hope this helps
What do you predict for the Elgar? (June 2017) - I've noticed they haven't asked about the 4th movement yet.
Ballin2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry that its short notice, but I think that the shost question will be based on the third movement this year! Is anyone studying Jazz?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed