Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I sat for several exams and passed them all but I managed to narrow it down to Charles HK and Masaryk. Obviously Masaryk has the edge on facilities and Charles on reputation however I have heard that Masaryk is better for dentistry rather than medicine and as I'm doing medicine, this is slightly (maybe not much) worrying. I have limited time to decide and i haven't been able to make a decision yet so I'd like to see what people think. Will going to Masaryk be a missed opportunity regarding Charles or should I just go for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunny176)
    So I sat for several exams and passed them all but I managed to narrow it down to Charles HK and Masaryk. Obviously Masaryk has the edge on facilities and Charles on reputation however I have heard that Masaryk is better for dentistry rather than medicine and as I'm doing medicine, this is slightly (maybe not much) worrying. I have limited time to decide and i haven't been able to make a decision yet so I'd like to see what people think. Will going to Masaryk be a missed opportunity regarding Charles or should I just go for it?
    Congratulations for passing exams for Charles HK and Masaryk. I also have offers from both universities but unlike yourself I am looking to study Dentistry. At the moment, I am looking to take up the Charles HK offer due to knowing people studying there already and they say that its a really good university as a whole. Its also a higher ranked university than Masaryk (webometrics.info) and it is more widely recognised when you come back to the UK!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I have my exams in July. Masaryk, Charles First, Charles Second and Palacky.

Masaryk is my preferred option at the moment as I know someone working in Liverpool who graduated from Brno. Will take any of them to be honest.

Charles HK will be another option for me should I not get through one of these four.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys for your insights! However what makes the Slovak university (I assume you mean Commenius University in Bratislava) is much better in terms of academics? I'm naturally inclined to study so that doesn't worry me but I would like to hear more about it.

Czech doesn't worry me either, I was raised with it and I still understand fairly enough! Im also Bulgarian, and Bulgaria frankly scares me! So the attrition rate doesn't scare me in Czech. Okay maybe it does a little, only Charles though. I've heard the professors are picky who to pass and only offer 3 and attempts while Masaryk offers 5.

Still, thank you for your insight on Czech and Slovak universities! I've aleady secured offers in Masaryk palacky and charles and I turned palacky down as it's not right for me. I'm leaning towards Masaryk, does anyone have any insight to offer towards Masaryk?

Edit;; hey, which czech university did you go to? I mean which university did you transfer FROM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunny176)
    Thank you guys for your insights! However what makes the Slovak university (I assume you mean Commenius University in Bratislava) is much better in terms of academics? I'm naturally inclined to study so that doesn't worry me but I would like to hear more about it.

Czech doesn't worry me either, I was raised with it and I still understand fairly enough! Im also Bulgarian, and Bulgaria frankly scares me! So the attrition rate doesn't scare me in Czech. Okay maybe it does a little, only Charles though. I've heard the professors are picky who to pass and only offer 3 and attempts while Masaryk offers 5.

Still, thank you for your insight on Czech and Slovak universities! I've aleady secured offers in Masaryk palacky and charles and I turned palacky down as it's not right for me. I'm leaning towards Masaryk, does anyone have any insight to offer towards Masaryk?
    It is very strange that some accounts pop up on here slating a university that they "failed" at. To be honest if someone failed at a university and says there prefer another one due to it being more relaxed and easier to pass then it really doesn't come across well.

Did you sit the exams in April? in London? I have booked to sit Charles 1st, Charles 2nd, Masaryk and Palacky. Think Masaryk is my first choice but decided to give all four a go as A-levels are out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    I did my exams in February! I dont live in the UK and the exams here are offered in April and February. I decided on February since I didnt want them clashing with my A-levels. All 4 are quite difficult without memorizing a lot of common names and structures bit Palacky is way easier. I'd say Masaryk was the hardest but I think it's what I'll pick as I already paid my 140,000 CZK deposit.

If you have some information on Masaryk feel free to PM me or drop some info here cuz I'm starved for information xD

ReputationRep:
    who on earth did you speak to that says HK is good !?!

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to a person that goes there and he's a second yr medic. But I would love to hear why HK is not good because I'll be moving there next month ahah

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rit101;73503536]I was talking to a person that goes there and he's a second yr medic. But I would love to hear why HK is not good because I'll be moving there next month

HK is good - the reputation alone will set you apart once you graduate - if you graduate. I say "if" not to be scary or nasty in any way it's that as a second year dentist myself I know how hard it is. First year dentistry is tough, first year medicine is much harder but second year dentistry is a whole other level (I failed a final today so I'm slightly bitter but I have another go, and what I failed on was the histology of the urethra ........ the most important thing for a dentist to know obviously)

The advice you'll hear from upper Years is start early, revise like it's your job. It's very easy to become complacent here but some subject will make you question do you want to be a dentist.

In my first year there was 20 of us dentists, second year there are 12, so far 2 have made it to third year with the potential for another 3. There's 1 4th year.

It's hard work but make it through 2nd year and it's "guaranteed" you'll make it.

Yes some lecturers will grade you based on their mood, you can have exactly the same thing written as someone else and you both have different marks. All final exams are oral too, and content wise is very heavy. for example there might 110 questions/topics you get given beforehand, each answer will be a few pages long. The final you will randomly get 3. And if you aren't confident (and correct) you won't get marks. Some passing marks are 80% others are 50%

You'll go crazy here and you'll want to become a murderer but it'll be worth it when we are dentists ...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Pippin Gaga;73504048]
    (Original post by Rit101)
    I was talking to a person that goes there and he's a second yr medic. But I would love to hear why HK is not good because I'll be moving there next month

HK is good - the reputation alone will set you apart once you graduate - if you graduate. I say "if" not to be scary or nasty in any way it's that as a second year dentist myself I know how hard it is. First year dentistry is tough, first year medicine is much harder but second year dentistry is a whole other level (I failed a final today so I'm slightly bitter but I have another go, and what I failed on was the histology of the urethra ........ the most important thing for a dentist to know obviously)

The advice you'll hear from upper Years is start early, revise like it's your job. It's very easy to become complacent here but some subject will make you question do you want to be a dentist.

In my first year there was 20 of us dentists, second year there are 12, so far 2 have made it to third year with the potential for another 3. There's 1 4th year.

It's hard work but make it through 2nd year and it's "guaranteed" you'll make it.

Yes some lecturers will grade you based on their mood, you can have exactly the same thing written as someone else and you both have different marks. All final exams are oral too, and content wise is very heavy. for example there might 110 questions/topics you get given beforehand, each answer will be a few pages long. The final you will randomly get 3. And if you aren't confident (and correct) you won't get marks. Some passing marks are 80% others are 50%

You'll go crazy here and you'll want to become a murderer but it'll be worth it when we are dentists ...
    Well this has certainly put things into perspective and I'll take the advice on board of studying like its my job haha. I'll be starting dentistry over there next month made me a bit worried but I guess I just gotta keep my head down. What do you mean by getting through second year and you'll be "guaranteed" to make it?
    And do you think you can get through to the second year?

You also mentioned that there were 20 dentists when you started.. I found some figures on the Uni Website, are they wrong? https://www.lfhk.cuni.cz/Public-and-...r-of-Students/

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rit101;73505726]
    (Original post by Pippin Gaga)

Well this has certainly put things into perspective and I'll take the advice on board of studying like its my job haha. I'll be starting dentistry over there next month made me a bit worried but I guess I just gotta keep my head down. What do you mean by getting through second year and you'll be "guaranteed" to make it?
    And do you think you can get through to the second year?

You also mentioned that there were 20 dentists when you started.. I found some figures on the Uni Website, are they wrong? https://www.lfhk.cuni.cz/Public-and-...r-of-Students/
    2nd year dentistry is the hardest - if you can make it through that then youre on the home stretch

these figures i think are for "total number" of dentists, where this year there are 12 2nd years 1 3rd year 4 4th years and 6 5ths there were 30 1st years. the remainder are probably students who are resitting years (isp students)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.