The Student Room Group

gcse biology memorisation help!!!

I do biology for additional and further additional biology as well as chemistry and physics. but since biology has a lot of facts that I need to memorise. but when I memorise my revision notes I forget them in a couple of days when it is very close to my mock exams. And I cant afford to do this for my real gcses. so how can I memorise my notes and for it to stick in my mind for a long time
One word: Flashcards.
I used to be even worse than you when it comes to any science but I started using question and answer flashcards and I am doing soooo much better!

Just write down a key question on one side of a card and then write a brief explanation on the other side. Then, to test your knowledge, make up your own questions and then answer them.
I would include my favorite celebrities' names in the questions as this would just help me remember it more.

Do let me know if you need any more help and good luck! :u:
I am not sure how much this will help you, but I personally find that using past papers/ questions from past papers to aid in testing what information that you've LEARNED as opposed to what you have simply memorised for a short period of time can be quite useful. You could print out pages from question papers and cut out specific questions that you struggle with- Serving almost as flash cards- And write the answers from the mark scheme on the back to see how close you can get to the actual answer.

Just a suggestion :smile:
Reply 3
as for flashcards i would like to use them but theres so much information that you can get tested on that flashcards wont even fit in
Just literally either read it out loud like 5 times or just condense your notes until you can remember the main points. If you own a CGP literally print off a spec and highlight the important part exclude the stupid content that isn't part of the syllabus you can cover everything in biology in like 2 weeks
OMG, these questions cards are AMAZING!! I'll put the link on : http://freesciencelessons.co.uk/biology-3-revision-cards/
Available for all 9 units, conscise and tell you exactly what u need to know!
personally, i find making acroymns helpful! make them personal so u remember them easily
Reply 7
Original post by mynameisno123
OMG, these questions cards are AMAZING!! I'll put the link on : http://freesciencelessons.co.uk/biology-3-revision-cards/
Available for all 9 units, conscise and tell you exactly what u need to know!

I watch freesciencelessons.co.uk all the time for revision!! It helps soooo much omg!
Reply 8
Original post by abdullahA15
I do biology for additional and further additional biology as well as chemistry and physics. but since biology has a lot of facts that I need to memorise. but when I memorise my revision notes I forget them in a couple of days when it is very close to my mock exams. And I cant afford to do this for my real gcses. so how can I memorise my notes and for it to stick in my mind for a long time

Personally, what works for me is just repeating the same information over and over again. This is literally the only way that I can memorise information because usually, I forget what I've been told after 30 seconds (that's how bad my memory is)! :colondollar:
Original post by Simba17
I watch freesciencelessons.co.uk all the time for revision!! It helps soooo much omg!

YES!!!!! i swear he is so under rated! hes better than all my teachers! have u got the revision card, if not get that they are so good
Original post by mynameisno123
YES!!!!! i swear he is so under rated! hes better than all my teachers! have u got the revision card, if not get that they are so good

Ikr! He needs waaayyy more subscribers! I don't use his revision cards because I just find his videos are to the point for what I need to learn! So his videos are enough of a resource for me, personally.
My best tip:
CGP Revision guide for Sciences. They are the work of GODS i tell you. The way they word their material= how you should word them in the exam. Literally- easy A*. Read through all the material atleast 3 times before the exam comes up (with 1 week between each reading). B1, B2 and B3 is LINKED (same for other sciences and their respective units). You can easily capitalise on this. B1 is very simple and sounds like common sense. Once you know this and know the exam technique well. Start looking at related topics in B2 and B3. B2 feels like it has the most content and B3 is by far the one with the most depth. But memory is based on being able to link different ideas together. Cover the linked topic (like homeostasis in B2 and B3), therefore it feels more like an expansion on the initial knowledge and less content heavy. Furthermore, certain topics in Biology are linked to the ones in Chemistry and Physics. Climate change is an important one, as well as biogas/biofuels. Try to explain this stuff to yourself--Since it all makes sense on a logical viewpoint.

Past Papers and Mark scheme= You can maximise marks as many of the same questions come up with the exact same answers. It will really teach you the exam technique you need to ace the tests. Do a past paper in timed conditions. Mark it (be harsh). Understand your mistakes and remember it.

MyGCSEScience is good- but he takes wayy too long to explain a topic that you can read in a few minutes and do some questions on. Plus his voice makes me a bit sleepy <.<
Original post by Simba17
Ikr! He needs waaayyy more subscribers! I don't use his revision cards because I just find his videos are to the point for what I need to learn! So his videos are enough of a resource for me, personally.

haha i actually love him!
MADMANMALIK ive got the cgp revision guides for additional and further additional but i find it difficult to memorise the content and memorisng the information takes too long and i dont have time for past papers on it as i need to move on to other subjects
Original post by abdullahA15
as for flashcards i would like to use them but theres so much information that you can get tested on that flashcards wont even fit in

condense your notes so that all the small amounts of information that you write down, you can elaborate on them in the actual exam
I recommend you go on S-cool's Mojo

Quick Reply

Latest