Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My girlfriend works in an office and says the barcode scanner it givin her a headache

ReputationRep:
    my girlfriend works as a receptionist in a lawyers office, she has been there for 2 months now and a week after she began working there she told me there is a barcode scanner on her desk and it has very bright beams boucing out of it and the beams
    from the barcode scanner keep swiping her in the eyes. over the last few days she says she has a headache and it is from the barcode scanner.
    the name of the barcode scanner is symbol and the thing is it is one of those scanners that are always in constant move trying to get a barcode reflection, so it is always operating, she is also scared of potential radiation form the barcode scanner

what can she do ? she does not want to make a complaint as she barely got the job due to fierce compettion , is there anything she can do ?

(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
    my girlfriend works as a receptionist in a lawyers office, she has been there for 2 months now and a week after she began working there she told me there is a barcode scanner on her desk and it has very bright beams boucing out of it and the beams
    from the barcode scanner keep swiping her in the eyes. over the last few days she says she has a headache and it is from the barcode scanner.
    the name of the barcode scanner is symbol and the thing is it is one of those scanners that are always in constant move trying to get a barcode reflection, so it is always operating, she is also scared of potential radiation form the barcode scanner

what can she do ? she does not want to make a complaint as she barely got the job due to fierce compettion , is there anything she can do ?
    Ask the office manager if t can be moved or could she put something to block it from her direct line of sight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Ask the office manager if t can be moved or could she put something to block it from her direct line of sight?
    hi

the barcode scanner cannot be moved anywhere other than where it is now and it is on my girlfriends desk so she can't move either

hi

the barcode scanner cannot be moved anywhere other than where it is now and it is on my girlfriends desk so she can't move either
    just talk to the office manager and improvise some sort of shroud/cover.

ReputationRep:
    just talk to the office manager and improvise some sort of shroud/cover.
    she does not want to say naything to the manager, she said she will probably get used to it soon and she says once she is used to the scanner it will probably not irratate her eyes, could it just be that see is new to the scanner perhaps ? thanks

she does not want to say naything to the manager, she said she will probably get used to it soon and she says once she is used to the scanner it will probably not irratate her eyes, could it just be that see is new to the scanner perhaps ? thanks
    If its a problem then she should ask. It doesnt have to be a complaint. If shes having a problem put something in the way so she cant see it. You seem determined no to find a solution.

ReputationRep:
    If its a problem then she should ask. It doesnt have to be a complaint. If shes having a problem put something in the way so she cant see it. You seem determined no to find a solution.

random question.

if I swipe a magnet over a barcode in a store would that prevent the barcode from settingg off the alarms ?

random question.

if I swipe a magnet over a barcode in a store would that prevent the barcode from settingg off the alarms ?
    No idea, but I doubt it because scanners are optical and not magnetic.

ReputationRep:
    No idea, but I doubt it because scanners are optical and not magnetic.
    what do you mean ?

what do you mean ?
    A barcode relies on a scanner scanning the code as a selection of thin and thick lines. Magnetism doesnt affect what a scanner can see.

A magnetic scanner (swipe) might rely on a magnetic strip on the back of a card and this could be affected by magnetism.

ReputationRep:
    A barcode relies on a scanner scanning the code as a selection of thin and thick lines. Magnetism doesnt affect what a scanner can see.

A magnetic scanner (swipe) might rely on a magnetic strip on the back of a card and this could be affected by magnetism.
    so, are you suggesting that the barcode would still trip the store alarm even if one swipes a magnet over a stores' item barcode ?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How many mugs of tea do you drink a day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.