The Student Room Group

My girlfriend works in an office and says the barcode scanner it givin her a headache

my girlfriend works as a receptionist in a lawyers office, she has been there for 2 months now and a week after she began working there she told me there is a barcode scanner on her desk and it has very bright beams boucing out of it and the beams
from the barcode scanner keep swiping her in the eyes. over the last few days she says she has a headache and it is from the barcode scanner.
the name of the barcode scanner is symbol and the thing is it is one of those scanners that are always in constant move trying to get a barcode reflection, so it is always operating, she is also scared of potential radiation form the barcode scanner

what can she do ? she does not want to make a complaint as she barely got the job due to fierce compettion , is there anything she can do ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cleverboy1991
my girlfriend works as a receptionist in a lawyers office, she has been there for 2 months now and a week after she began working there she told me there is a barcode scanner on her desk and it has very bright beams boucing out of it and the beams
from the barcode scanner keep swiping her in the eyes. over the last few days she says she has a headache and it is from the barcode scanner.
the name of the barcode scanner is symbol and the thing is it is one of those scanners that are always in constant move trying to get a barcode reflection, so it is always operating, she is also scared of potential radiation form the barcode scanner

what can she do ? she does not want to make a complaint as she barely got the job due to fierce compettion , is there anything she can do ?

Ask the office manager if t can be moved or could she put something to block it from her direct line of sight?
Original post by 999tigger
Ask the office manager if t can be moved or could she put something to block it from her direct line of sight?

hi

the barcode scanner cannot be moved anywhere other than where it is now and it is on my girlfriends desk so she can't move either
hi

the barcode scanner cannot be moved anywhere other than where it is now and it is on my girlfriends desk so she can't move either

just talk to the office manager and improvise some sort of shroud/cover.
just talk to the office manager and improvise some sort of shroud/cover.

she does not want to say naything to the manager, she said she will probably get used to it soon and she says once she is used to the scanner it will probably not irratate her eyes, could it just be that see is new to the scanner perhaps ? thanks
she does not want to say naything to the manager, she said she will probably get used to it soon and she says once she is used to the scanner it will probably not irratate her eyes, could it just be that see is new to the scanner perhaps ? thanks

If its a problem then she should ask. It doesnt have to be a complaint. If shes having a problem put something in the way so she cant see it. You seem determined no to find a solution.
If its a problem then she should ask. It doesnt have to be a complaint. If shes having a problem put something in the way so she cant see it. You seem determined no to find a solution.

random question.

if I swipe a magnet over a barcode in a store would that prevent the barcode from settingg off the alarms ?
random question.

if I swipe a magnet over a barcode in a store would that prevent the barcode from settingg off the alarms ?

No idea, but I doubt it because scanners are optical and not magnetic.
No idea, but I doubt it because scanners are optical and not magnetic.

what do you mean ?
what do you mean ?

A barcode relies on a scanner scanning the code as a selection of thin and thick lines. Magnetism doesnt affect what a scanner can see.

A magnetic scanner (swipe) might rely on a magnetic strip on the back of a card and this could be affected by magnetism.
A barcode relies on a scanner scanning the code as a selection of thin and thick lines. Magnetism doesnt affect what a scanner can see.

A magnetic scanner (swipe) might rely on a magnetic strip on the back of a card and this could be affected by magnetism.

so, are you suggesting that the barcode would still trip the store alarm even if one swipes a magnet over a stores' item barcode ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending