Question about the Normal Reaction Force (M1)

ReputationRep:
    What is the normal reaction force? When is it perpendicular and when it is angled, and how do I tell the difference? Also, if a rod is smoothly hinged to a vertical wall at one end and held in the horizontal position by a light string at the other end, which direction is the normal reaction and how do you know? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akrapovic)
    What is the normal reaction force? When is it perpendicular and when it is angled, and how do I tell the difference? Also, if a rod is smoothly hinged to a vertical wall at one end and held in the horizontal position by a light string at the other end, which direction is the normal reaction and how do you know? Thanks
    The normal reaction force is always at 90 degrees to the surface because it's defined to be so. It's often confused with the contact force which is the resultant force of the normal reaction and friction which acts parallel the surface.

In your example of a hinged rod: There will only be a normal reaction force is a force is being exerted on the wall. Since the forces on the wall must be equal (since it won't accelerate F = ma) we say it's exerting an opposing force.

So if the string is not pulling the hinge to the side we'd not expect a normal reaction force but it will exert a force upwards, we just don't call it a normal reaction force as it's not normal to the wall.

TL;DR
    Vertical force of the wall + vertical force of the string - weight = 0
    Horizontal force of the wall (normal reaction, since this is normal to the wall) = horizontal force of the string

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugaurie)
    The normal reaction force is always at 90 degrees to the surface because it's defined to be so. It's often confused with the contact force which is the resultant force of the normal reaction and friction which acts parallel the surface.

In your example of a hinged rod: There will only be a normal reaction force is a force is being exerted on the wall. Since the forces on the wall must be equal (since it won't accelerate F = ma) we say it's exerting an opposing force.

So if the string is not pulling the hinge to the side we'd not expect a normal reaction force but it will exert a force upwards, we just don't call it a normal reaction force as it's not normal to the wall.

TL;DR
    Vertical force of the wall + vertical force of the string - weight = 0
    Horizontal force of the wall (normal reaction, since this is normal to the wall) = horizontal force of the string
    So how do I know the angle of the normal reaction between the hinge and the wall? And why is it not perpendicular? because I can't seem to wrap my head around what direction it would act and why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akrapovic)
    So how do I know the angle of the normal reaction between the hinge and the wall? And why is it not perpendicular? because I can't seem to wrap my head around what direction it would act and why.
    Say the string is at some angle theta to the horizontal.

We need to forces to be balanced (because the acceleration of the rod is 0).
    The contact force exerted from any surface has 2 components, that perpendicular to the surface (Normal reaction) and that parallel to it (friction).

You'll agree that the string exerts a horizontal force of T(tension)*cos theta, to cancel this the horizontal force of the wall must also equal Tcos(theta).

Now we need the vertical forces to cancel.
    Total force up = Tsin(theta) + friction on the wall
    Total force down = weight of the rod.
    Tsin(theta) + friction = weight
    -> Friction = Weight - Tsin(theta)

Now we have friction = Tsin(theta), and normal reaction = Tcos(theta)

The total force exerted by the wall (The contact force) = (T^2 sin^2(theta) + T^2 cos^2(theta))^0.5 = T

And we can draw a triangle and see it'll act at angle phi above the horizontal where: tan(phi) = Upwards component / Horizontal component = Friction/normal reaction = sin(theta)/cos(theta) = tan(theta)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2017
Poll
Tea vs coffee
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.