The Student Room Group

Titration

How do you calculate mean titre from a table of results? Some seem to ignore some of the values to calculate the mean.....
Reply 1
Could it be that they are ignoring results that aren't concordant with each other and just using the concordant ones for the calculation of the mean?
Concordant being the results are +/- 0.2 ml (or whatever is specified in the question) of each other maybe??
Sorry if this isn't much help, I'm not a pro at chem!!
Original post by emilyjeh
Could it be that they are ignoring results that aren't concordant with each other and just using the concordant ones for the calculation of the mean?
Concordant being the results are +/- 0.2 ml (or whatever is specified in the question) of each other maybe??
Sorry if this isn't much help, I'm not a pro at chem!!

Yes you're right, but i am still not sure if this is always the case or just in some special occasions. Thanks for the reply.
Original post by Abi_P99
When calculating the average titre you should always ignore your rough results (the set of results you got first) and the experiment should be repeated 2 or 3 more times. You then just use those titres to calculate the average. The first titre is usually just to gauge where the end point will be so is not as accurate. Hope this helps if you need it further explained don't be shy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if you have, say 4 set of experiment results and one of them(not the first one) is off by +-0.20 do you ignore this one and the first one? By off i mean for eg 1.35, 1.30, 1.60, 1.40, "1.60" being the "off" one.... Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply

Latest