karpicha
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Do you think that the European Union is either political entity or economic entity? Please give some examples. Thank you!
Cognition!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by karpicha)
Do you think that the European Union is either political entity or economic entity? Please give some examples. Thank you!
In short, the EU is both.

The European Union originated as an economic entity. It was believed that economic interdependence would discourage conflict on the scale of the World Wars, in the aftermath of WW2. Its origins were as the European Economic Community (EEC) and to a lesser extent, the European Coal and Steel Community- some explicitly economic unions, after all. The euro indicates the EU's current status as an economic union.

However, it has evolved into just as much, if not more of a political union- when the EU is mentioned, most people immediately think of European Parliament, or the European Commission. This owes partly to the Maastricht treaty in 1991, when the EEC turned into the EU: it included a chapter on social policy, and gave EU citizens the right to work and vote in any EU country.

You might find this useful: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3583801.stm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (87)
28.34%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
38.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.03%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.26%

Watched Threads