This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

MP Constituency Motion

This House believes that it would be fun to designate each MP a 'constituency' to represent, so that this should be done in a way that is optional does not inconvenience MPs who are less interested. MPs who are not interested do not need to take part by selecting a constituency.

This House believes this should be implemented on a trial basis at the next MHoC general election, as follows:

After the results of the general election are declared by the Speaker, the Speaker will then inform party leaders they have 2 days to compile a list of their MPs (the Speaker should note that parties may submit their party lists on any day during the election before this day, but if the number of MPs on the submitted list is fewer than the number of seats won by the party, the party leader will need to submit another list with enough MPs to fill all of the party’s seats before the deadline for submitting party lists).

Two days after the results of the GE have been announced, the Speaker shall no longer accept party lists. The Speaker will create a constituency claiming thread on this day, and MPs have four days to select their choice of constituency that they would like to represent from this list of MHoC Constituencies: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing. These constituencies will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Claims made by those not on a party list are not recognised.

During this period, MPs may trade constituencies if two MPs mutually agree to making such a swap. Each MP may only swap his constituency once. Both MPs shall inform the Speaker once they have agreed to a trade, and the Speaker shall be responsible for recording all constituency swaps.

When the deadline for constituency selection has been reached, if there are any MPs who do not have a seat yet, the Speaker will allocate the remaining constituencies to the remaining MPs, based on the constituencies that fit in with the MPs’ ideologies most (i.e. a constituency in the South East shall be given to a right-wing MP, if possible, and a constituency in the North East shall be given to a left-wing MP, if possible. Other factors that the Speaker could take into account include establishment/anti-establishment, unionist/nationalist, europhile/eurosceptic, etc.)

On the day Parliament opens, MPs may no longer swap constituencies from this day forward, until the end of the term. The Speaker will publish a final list of MPs and the constituencies that they represent.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Two days post-election is not enough time to select MPs.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
PetrosAC - please can you chnage my vote to an abstain?
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
This^^^

Also, what's going on with the formatting? No field? No proposer?
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
This^^^

Another thing to add, when the **** was this in the main chamber, it was an amendment!
Unown Uzer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This^^^

If only you had voiced that concern during the actual debate, it would have been changed.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Unown Uzer)
If only you had voiced that concern during the actual debate, it would have been changed.
Could you show us the thread? ( there isn't one?)
Unown Uzer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
Could you show us the thread? ( there isn't one?)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4658410
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This^^^
There's a week between the results and parliament opening, two days is way too short.

I want to see constituencies but they need to be implemented properly and I'm sceptical this is the right way. On that note PetrosAC, please change my Abstention to a No.
Unown Uzer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's a week between the results and parliament opening, two days is way too short.

I want to see constituencies but they need to be implemented properly and I'm sceptical this is the right way. On that note PetrosAC, please change my Abstention to a No.
Then why did you not say anything about changing it to six days during the debate? Only saying it now makes it seem like you don't actually want constituencies to be implemented, and are only making an excuse to vote against it after it has been sent to division.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Alas.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Then why did you not say anything about changing it to six days during the debate? Only saying it now makes it seem like you don't actually want constituencies to be implemented, and are only making an excuse to vote against it after it has been sent to division.
Probably because I didn't pay much attention to it, having been drawn to concerns about party lists (which in fairness I'm more comfortable with now).

To say that I don't want them implemented is clearly not true given I drafted a motion and drew two maps to bring them in. What is true is that I don't want them at any cost, and I tried to build consensus rather than trying to ram them through.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sounds like we have...disorganized labor

Nay, this adds a grand total of zilch.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
PetrosAC Why do you keep ignoring the standard formatting?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

(Original post by Quamquam123)
PetrosAC - please can you chnage my vote to an abstain?
One vote has been changed from a No to an Abstain, and One vote has been changed from an Abstain to a No
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
One vote has been changed from a No to an Abstain, and One vote has been changed from an Abstain to a No
That was easy. :lol:
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am voting aye because I want to see the MHoC in the awkward position of rejecting an amendment to do something but approving a motion to do the same thing.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's strange this was even allowed since motions serve to debate statements and practically the same statement was debated not long ago and its implementation rejected.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
PetrosAC change my vote to abstain please
Unown Uzer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mr Speaker,

Would it be possible to change the motion so that there are six days for parties to submit MP lists once the results of the GE have been announced, i.e. can the motion be changed to this:

MP Constituency Motion

This House believes that it would be fun to designate each MP a 'constituency' to represent, so that this should be done in a way that is optional does not inconvenience MPs who are less interested. MPs who are not interested do not need to take part by selecting a constituency.

This House believes this should be implemented on a trial basis at the next MHoC general election, as follows:

After the results of the general election are declared by the Speaker, the Speaker will then inform party leaders they have 6 days to compile a list of their MPs (the Speaker should note that parties may submit their party lists on any day during the election before this day, but if the number of MPs on the submitted list is fewer than the number of seats won by the party, the party leader will need to submit another list with enough MPs to fill all of the party’s seats before the deadline for submitting party lists).

Six days after the results of the GE have been announced, the Speaker shall no longer accept party lists. The Speaker will create a constituency claiming thread on this day, and MPs have four days to select their choice of constituency that they would like to represent from this list of MHoC Constituencies: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing. These constituencies will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Claims made by those not on a party list are not recognised.

During this period, MPs who have already chosen a constituency but wish to change their constituency may change to a constituency that has not already been taken or trade constituencies if two MPs mutually agree to making such a swap. Each MP may only swap or change his constituency once. Both MPs shall inform the Speaker once they have agreed to a trade, and the Speaker shall be responsible for recording all constituency swaps and changes.

When the deadline for constituency selection has been reached, if there are any MPs who do not have a seat yet, the Speaker will allocate the remaining constituencies to the remaining MPs, based on the constituencies that fit in with the MPs’ ideologies most (i.e. a constituency in the South East shall be given to a right-wing MP, if possible, and a constituency in the North East shall be given to a left-wing MP, if possible. Other factors that the Speaker could take into account include establishment/anti-establishment, unionist/nationalist, europhile/eurosceptic, etc.)

When the above process is complete, the Speaker will publish a final list of MPs and the constituencies that they represent, and MPs may no longer swap constituencies from this day forward, until the end of the term.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.01%
1 (89)
13.01%
2 (88)
12.87%
18.86%
22.37%
19.88%

Watched Threads